Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just curious if anyone else wears ear plugs while riding? Yes, I ride a quiet sled, but I also like to party like a fool at night on sled trips... lets see if any of you understand why I say that? Clue- if there are any pilots here, they will get it.

I'll bet you think I don't wear helmet comms? Oh yes, and I can hear my tunes better with ear plugs.

I'll bet you think I can't talk to people at intersections? Oh yes, I can hear them better with ear plugs.

It shocks me how many people don't wear ear plugs riding motorcycles and sleds. And it ain't got nothing to do with how loud the sled is.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you wear earplugs, and run a can, I reserve the right to beat the snot out of you.
Agreed! Although I have found in my not so scientific research that the guy that runs a can and the guy that wears ear plugs are inherently not the same guy. Seems it has not to do with the ears themselves, but rather what is between them.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Sometimes and here is why:

If it is warmer, typically 20 degrees F and above, I wear a "moto" style helmet with a peak visor (otherwise, I often get too warm). These type of helmets are considerably noisier (and colder) than a "full face" helmet like a BV2S or Oxygen, so when I wear a "moto" helmet, I always wear ear plugs because of wind and sled noise. With a BV2S or other "full face" helmets, I do not find it necessary.

I used to hang out with my Grandfather quite a bit when I was a kid. He worked in a mill before the days of OSHA and typical hearing protection and he was near deaf and you basically had to yell at him to talk to him. He often told me to take care of my hearing so I did not end up like him, so I always try to heed his advise. I actually seem to have good hearing - seemingly better than average - and I like it for big game and grouse hunting, so I am super conscientious of wearing hearing protection when necessary.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I'm 53, wore hearing protection occasionally, if I could do i over, I would have worn them more often to prevent troubles. I had been fine all along, but that one time, I had a cato failure of a firearm, and bam, I now have tinnitus in my left ear for life. sounds like someone blowing a dog whistle, 24 7, for almost 3 months now. It is NOT about being a tough guy, you can NOT control or build up tolerance to noise, it is a physical limitation that once breached, is damaged forever.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I'm 53, wore hearing protection occasionally, if I could do i over, I would have worn them more often to prevent troubles. I had been fine all along, but that one time, I had a cato failure of a firearm, and bam, I now have tinnitus in my left ear for life. sounds like someone blowing a dog whistle, 24 7, for almost 3 months now. It is NOT about being a tough guy, you can NOT control or build up tolerance to noise, it is a physical limitation that once breached, is damaged forever.
For your tinnitus..Try Purslane and Cloves... Pill form...Did it for 1 month and its gone..Been 3 yrs now without any buzzing in the ears...

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
As a former military pilot, I always I wore double hearing protection (foamies and then the gel cups from the helmet). When I mow lawn I wear foamies and over ear muffs. When I got back into sledding after moving back home, i didn't think about it and started noticing that my ears were really bothered by the engine/pipe noise after a while. Started wearing foamies in my Modular 1 helmet and no more audible discomfort. So much more pleasant. It does make communicating on stops more difficult, but I'll take that over the headache and hearing damage.

It's actually pretty amazing how much better you can hear the mechanical functions/workings of the sled with earplugs in and the exhaust and wind noise are eliminated.

EDIT: For those with turbos installed, do you get a lot of whistle? That little turbine is screaming and even if you can't hear it there probably is some damage taking place.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Can't agree more. Lost some of my hearing 30 years ago, target practicing without hearing protection. I didn't think it would cause permanent hearing damage. I was wrong. Now I won't mow the grass without hearing protection, trying to save what's left.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yep, wear them on every ride. Same with my Motorcycle in the summer. Stock exhaust on both sleds and motorcycles. Also use them when mowing the lawn, weed wacker, chain saw, etc. I like my hearing!

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
I definitely started to wear them more often the past year or two; they definitely help during trail days on a 154”/2.5” where lots of track noise is inevitable. Truthfully, they’re not a bad idea for anybody to wear. They do a good job at cutting the sharpness without preventing you from hearing anything important.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I had been fine all along, but that one time, I had a cato failure of a firearm, and bam, I now have tinnitus in my left ear for life. sounds like someone blowing a dog whistle, 24 7, for almost 3 months now.
I'm 43 and have had constant ringing in both ears for a little over 20 years now. I always wore ear plugs and still do. I credit the ringing to one time of being in the cab of a truck when a gun was fired from in the cab.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
yikes, thats a terribly misguided statement
I'll bite, why?

If you dont have an aftermarket exhaust can and you have a properly sized helmet, in my experience you should not need ear plugs. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts