Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a left over e-tech 800 last week and am hoping someone can answer the following questions.

1.) The dealer told me the extra gauge module for clock, compass, lap timer off my 08 would work in the e-tech. I put it in tonight and I got the compass working. I believe I have to hook it up to the "BUDs" to activate the clock. Never used the lap timer before so I don't know if it is activated or not. Anyways, after I plugged it in, I started the sled a few times to see what was working before I popped the gauge back into the dash. I had to take off the whole upper headlight and console assembly to get those darn circlip type fasteners installed on the module to hold it in place. Anyways after getting everything back together, the battery had lost its charge and I had to jump start the sled (No freakin pull cord, my 08 had one but I never used it once . . . go figure). What gives? I never had any starting issues before installing this module. When I picked up the sled, it was in a warehouse collecting dust and it fired right up. Is this module causing a drain on the battery (never did on the 08)or is there something I should know about the e-tech? I never pulled the DESS key out, but used the kill switch previously to stop the engine after my initial check start.

2.) I noticed a low frequency deep sounding vibration at about 2500 RPMs. Is this normal? The engine idles at about half that and the vibration isn't there. It goes away above 2500. It sounds like it could be engine noise but I'm not sure.

Thanks guys. Gotta get this thing ready for winter . . . it's coming fast!

·
Ski-Doo Guru
13,820 Posts
I just bought a left over e-tech 800 last week and am hoping someone can answer the following questions.

1.) The dealer told me the extra gauge module for clock, compass, lap timer off my 08 would work in the e-tech. I put it in tonight and I got the compass working. I believe I have to hook it up to the "BUDs" to activate the clock. Never used the lap timer before so I don't know if it is activated or not. Anyways, after I plugged it in, I started the sled a few times to see what was working before I popped the gauge back into the dash. I had to take off the whole upper headlight and console assembly to get those darn circlip type fasteners installed on the module to hold it in place. Anyways after getting everything back together, the battery had lost its charge and I had to jump start the sled (No freakin pull cord, my 08 had one but I never used it once . . . go figure). What gives? I never had any starting issues before installing this module. When I picked up the sled, it was in a warehouse collecting dust and it fired right up. Is this module causing a drain on the battery (never did on the 08)or is there something I should know about the e-tech? I never pulled the DESS key out, but used the kill switch previously to stop the engine after my initial check start.

2.) I noticed a low frequency deep sounding vibration at about 2500 RPMs. Is this normal? The engine idles at about half that and the vibration isn't there. It goes away above 2500. It sounds like it could be engine noise but I'm not sure.

Thanks guys. Gotta get this thing ready for winter . . . it's coming fast!
Hey man I had one of these let me see if I can help I'm using my iPad so my answers will be short typing sucks on this.
1) the clock I could never get to work except on my 08 I have heard it's not on the 09 and up
Lap timer is likely there but it's useless really just keep pushing buttons.
Battery should be fine, I can't answer but I always do disconnect batteries when doing any electrical work on anything even though it's just a module plugin it pays to be safe

2)they sorta hit a slight vibe spot as the rpm crosses 2500-3000 then smoothen right out.

Also FYI bond air box and bump the primary spring up 20 lbs in the start works awesome!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll try to start it again today and see if the battery held its charge. That vibration was bothering me, sounds like its normal, maybe I won't notice it once I start riding. Did you try to have a dealer activate the clock with the "BUDDS" system? How come you got rid of yours? Any issues? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Battery held enough charge overnight for only one start, then it was too weak to start it again. I put a battery tender on it today and I'll see how it goes. I noticed the battery cables were not that tight at the terminals, maybe this had something to do with it.

Has anyone had any success getting the clock to work on their e-tech? I remember when I bought the module for my 08 that the dealer had to hook the sled to "BUDDS" to activate the clock. Got that info from right here on dootalk, dealer didn't know about it when they installed in on my 08.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I could care less about a clock on a sled. I always wear a watch and have a cell phone. The only thing I care about is the milage, speed and temp. Everytime you mess with the battery you have to reset the dang clock. My 10.5 X has vibration at idle only and that is very little. My 07 RTX Apex vibrated more at all rpm's except idle and was louder to ride , oh and was way heavier. Way heavier!!. I keep the batteries on a tender all year, even in the winter if they are setting for a couple of weeks. I just run the cord out to the trailer and hook them up. Makes all the differance with how they last. If you're messing with the electronics always unhook the battery just incase.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't know if the e-tech required more juice than my 800R due to the injectors. In 3 years, I never had my 08 XP on a tender or charger and never had any issues, so I didn't expect the new one to have any problems, especially right off the bat. I bought a new maintenance charger/tender for it today and have it hooked up now. Hopefully, there are no issues. I like the clock for times when I don't want to peel off my gloves to check the time or whenever I want to know the time while I'm moving. No biggie, I just want to get it working if the new sled has the capability to do so.

·
Ski-Doo Guru
13,820 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll try to start it again today and see if the battery held its charge. That vibration was bothering me, sounds like its normal, maybe I won't notice it once I start riding. Did you try to have a dealer activate the clock with the "BUDDS" system? How come you got rid of yours? Any issues? Thanks.
I really wanted another gade so I ordered one, I blew my exec up that's one reason I sold it but not really the reason just mostly wanted a gade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts