Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i feel stupid for asking this but i can't get the rave valve assy out of the engine compartment, it hits the steering post before it clears. this system obviously is a little more complex than the standard rave valves of old that i've done a bunch but this has me stumped, i've pulled the top 8 bolts and got the top cover off but don't have the clearance to get the assy off. can one of you guys give me a play by play of how to do this???? i don't have a manual of course so any help is appreciated---dave

p.s. man are these things gummed up.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
when we did it , it was a pain in the butt!! u have to unbolt the motor take off the throttle bodys and move them aside and tilt the motor back to make room to pull them out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
ezmason said:
when we did it , it was a pain in the butt!! u have to unbolt the motor take off the throttle bodys and move them aside and tilt the motor back to make room to pull them out
[snapback]743364[/snapback]​
But maybe someone else has an eaier way?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,146 Posts
When I did mine I took the bolts out and the cover,unscrew the cables off and move the end pulley of the erave to move the valves and give you the clearance,mine pulled out fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
ezmason said:
ezmason said:
when we did it , it was a pain in the butt!! u have to unbolt the motor take off the throttle bodys and move them aside and tilt the motor back to make room to pull them out
[snapback]743364[/snapback]​
But maybe someone else has an eaier way?
[snapback]743365[/snapback]​
No you dont have to do that. But don't take apart until you have a new base gasket. What you do is take off the cables hold the gear drive in the open position and it will come out. I also played around take a bunch of other stuff off. The only other thing that you might have to to doo is take the bolts out of the lower sterring column mount to push it forward out of the way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
squish band said:
When I did mine I took the bolts out and the cover,unscrew the cables off and move the end pulley of the erave to move the valves and give you the clearance,mine pulled out fine.
[snapback]743413[/snapback]​
SWeet!! well i guess i have to live and learn also , the shop manuel don't really give a specific way to remove them that i can see. i did it the hard way
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,955 Posts
There is absolutely no need to take anything off or move the motor!!!! Take the bolts out and remove the cover. Then pull the assembly straight out. You can rotate the pulley on the end of the shaft to shorten the length of the valves for easier removal. If you don't have the shop manual you better look close before you take apart as the nylon gears have to mesh with the teeth on the valve stems on the exact tooth or you will have big problems. Also the gears can "edit for bad language" on reassembly and you must make sure everything is running true with no resistance. I took my assembly completely apart and layed everything out on a towel in order. After cleaning I reassembled and after each gear and valve was installed I rotated the pulley back and forth to check for any binding. It should rotate smooth with no binding. Again, I suggest you have the service manual. You will need to do the e-rave cable adjustment and dynamic test after reassembly. All of the above WILL affect performance if not done correctly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,644 Posts
squish band said:
When I did mine I took the bolts out and the cover,unscrew the cables off and move the end pulley of the erave to move the valves and give you the clearance,mine pulled out fine.
[snapback]743413[/snapback]​
You just have to out smart it like squish did........................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
well, i did it last night and here's what i did with the advice from you guys and some from my doo dealer.
1. pull exhaust
2. loosen lower steering column bolts to gain clearance to remove e-rave assy
3. remove e-rave unit with the actuator and cables in tact. (one bolt retains the actuator)
4. clean as an assembly without dissassebling entire unit. (wow, were they dirty)
5. reinstall with new gaskets (torque specs are 80 inch pounds on the 8 bolts)

all in all it went pretty good, the actual cleaning took the most time, had to do a lot of scraping on the valves themselves but was back together in about 1-1.5 hours


thanks for the help guys in the above posts
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,040 Posts
As posted before you don't have to remove the exhaust or undo anything except valve assembly - to get them out though you do have to remove the cables so you can rotate the shaft to shorten the valve length - they will pull right out - put them back to gether and adjust the cables

dgerlach55033 said:
well, i did it last night and here's what i did with the advice from you guys and some from my doo dealer.
1. pull exhaust
2. loosen lower steering column bolts to gain clearance to remove e-rave assy
3. remove e-rave unit with the actuator and cables in tact. (one bolt retains the actuator)
4. clean as an assembly without dissassebling entire unit. (wow, were they dirty)
5. reinstall with new gaskets (torque specs are 80 inch pounds on the 8 bolts)

all in all it went pretty good, the actual cleaning took the most time, had to do a lot of scraping on the valves themselves but was back together in about 1-1.5 hours


thanks for the help guys in the above posts

[snapback]744992[/snapback]​
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
i agree with ya robbie, but its not the guillitines (sp) that were in the way, it was the four exhaust valve tubes that kept me from getting it out as an assembly. i may of went the long way around but it wasn't too bad and i didn't want (or feel the need) to disassemble the whole e-rave assy or cables because once the cover is off its easy to access the whole assy to clean it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,040 Posts
Just for clarification - you don't have to disassemble the e raves - just remove the cables both the valves & the tubes will clear - i had the same problem -went to slide out the valves and it hit the steering column- said no way do i have to take so much apart - then i thought about it a bit - said if i twist the knob it will get shorter - and it did - and it will clear


dgerlach55033 said:
i agree with ya robbie, but its not the guillitines (sp) that were in the way, it was the four exhaust valve tubes that kept me from getting it out as an assembly. i may of went the long way around but it wasn't too bad and i didn't want (or feel the need) to disassemble the whole e-rave assy or cables because once the cover is off its easy to access the whole assy to clean it.

[snapback]745178[/snapback]​
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
i unhooked all the lines, removed all bolts, and then YES it did hit the steering, but after leaing it towards the oil resoiver then turning the handle bars, it came right out.. alot easier then taking off everything. try that first.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top