Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the new tapered clutches are supposed to be torqued to 85-90 ft lbs but my torque wrench only goes up to 75 lbs. Do you guys think it will be ok or should I run out and buy a new torque wrench?

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Local Napa has one for $50 that goes up to 150 lbs. Ugh, I already sunk $250 into clutch tools to change 2 springs. Is an extra 10 ft lbs really gonna make any difference?

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
Book says 100-110 ft lbs on big nut.

Confused. I have the pb80 and torque the small bolt to 90. Never touch the big nut. Why would the OP need to torque the big nut to 120?
You remove the big nut to change pucks.

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
Local Napa has one for $50 that goes up to 150 lbs. Ugh, I already sunk $250 into clutch tools to change 2 springs. Is an extra 10 ft lbs really gonna make any difference?
Go price a SnapOn, MatCo, or Mac.......Your $50 will get you by for what you are doing.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On a side note it sucks I had to pull the clutch in the first place thanks to BRP's decision to go with junk springs to save a couple bucks. The primary spring in my 04 Rev held up for 5 seasons before I noticed any drop in engagement rpm.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Confused. I have the pb80 and torque the small bolt to 90. Never touch the big nut. Why would the OP need to torque the big nut to 120?
If you ever remove the cover to change springs, or to change the weights, you'll need to retorqued the big nut when you reassemble it. I personally torque it to 120, then I torque the small clutch bolt.

That's how I do it. I've done it probably an honest 12 times this winter.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I bought a half inch torque wrench at fleet farm for something like that much. It's accurate enough for clutches and changing tires.

I liked the extra long 1/2" torque wrench length. Makes torquing over 100lbs much easier.

If I was rebuilding engines... I might get a more accurate wrench.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
If you ever remove the cover to change springs, or to change the weights, you'll need to retorqued the big nut when you reassemble it. I personally torque it to 120, then I torque the small clutch bolt.

That's how I do it. I've done it probably an honest 12 times this winter.

Got it thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts