Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

241 - 260 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
On the weekend I had the skid pulled out on my new to me Renegade to install the above mentioned MS bushings. The PO rode about 4-6000 Kms a season and told me the sliders should be replaced as he did them 2 seasons ago. I wrestled with the Duponts vs standard ones for a while and determined that my cash is better spent on other parts (MS bushings all around) and so I bought some standard ones to install.

I found that there was Duponts on it, and they were pretty well worn, so 8-10000 kms (5-6000ish miles). I've seen the standard ones last almost that long.
Something isn't right, I have a pair that I moved from
One sled to another that has almost 20,000 miles now that guess are worn 5-10%. Have two others 10-12,000 miles that could pass as new.

·
That's probably sarcasm.
2016 1200 Renegade X
20,628 Posts
Something isn't right, I have a pair that I moved from
One sled to another that has almost 20,000 miles now that guess are worn 5-10%. Have two others 10-12,000 miles that could pass as new.
Could be the PO was wrong about when he put them on.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
I just pulled the original stock ones from my 18 850 129. I have ridden on our road for three years, 1/2 mile of grit on road to get to trail. That is not counting the crappy conditions beyond the stretch to get to trails. I ride on crap, bottom line. 3,500 miles, quite a few regrettable. Typical Doo, heavy wear right behind front rail idlers, the rest uniform. Not even close to wearing to rail. I have done that in bad seasons on past sleds. Very pleased with stock hyfax, replaced with same, can buy three sets for the price of one set of Stupe Ponts. YMMV.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'm Sold on these, based upon what I've read here.

I'm sure the durability is far superior, but I'm more interested in reducing drag and operating temperatures. I have a 2022 BC 146 X 1.6 ice Cobra coming, and I really want to run the stock sliders for a half season to compare.

Now that the Masters is over I'm anxious for winter again...

·
Registered
758 Posts
There's only been one occasion that I came across with the slides starting to stick. It was due to a bent rail up at the curve like someone dropped a weight from up top and tried to flatten the curved part of the rail.

Other than that, I've found the overheat light will come on before the slides start to stick. I've also ridden plenty of crap roads and mud trails and get about 3k out of a set which is fine with me. If a single mph or 2 so important, take a dump before you ride and you'll gain it back.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Now that the Masters is over I'm anxious for winter again...
Love that tournament, but yeah, wish the snow would fly in a couple of months.

I'm stopping at Grip n Rip in a week or two and get me some DuPonts. Looking forward to trying them, it's the only way to know for sure how good they are, based on your riding style/conditions.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
do the yamaha ones contain more vespel inserts than the Brp ones ?

any pics ?
Grip n rip website states that the Yamaha have 36" of insert. If you could measure the length of your 137 rail that would tell us exactly how much coverage. I've been curious about this, but sold my sled so I won't know until fall.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
Lots of confusion here. Buy the ones for the 165" & 174" and cut them down to fit if you want the inserts all the way back. Buy the normal length ones for the <154" sleds, and you'll have inserts most of the way back on a 137." I did the ones from Grip-n-Rip on my 137" with inserts most of the way (but not all of the way) back, and never had any issues or signs of wear or melting over 4,000mi. I have the standard <154" length ones from my 'Doo dealer on my 154" (again, which have inserts most of the way back) with no issues. No need for analysis paralysis.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
If you're interested in vespel length between gnr and brp, the info is in many other threads on this site asking the same questions.

Bottom line, Gnr has more inserts and they go further back, but still missing the last 6" or so on a 137 rail.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
You’ll never wear your slides out at the back 3rd anyway so it’s really irrelevant that some are missing inserts on that last 6 inches, in my opinion.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My original sliders lasted 750 kms. They wore 5mms at the front idlers. I replaced with the long version so I would have inserts all the way back. Re drilled the front mount hole, so I would have inserts into the front curve section also. I have over 7000 kms on them and they have worn about 1mm at the front idlers. Original sliders had heat fractures every inch or so over the entire length. They curled when removed from skid and were on the shop floor. They are expensive, but offer great peace of mind when riding on snirt, or doing long multi day saddle bag trips.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Do you run your track pretty loose? Only way I could see that happening.
Skidoo spec. It's worn because there are no vespel inserts there and the conditions these slides were put thru would have melted regular slides solid to the rails in 10 miles. Duponts got a full days ride in. Then i did rides like that again, and again. As long as you can keep the engine cool, Duponts would let you ride on glare ice no loss in mph. But they do wear at the back where no inserts are...

241 - 260 of 298 Posts