Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good shock is worth the money. Does anyone know who makes truly custom shocks valved to suit? I want the first 2/3 of the shock travel to have lighter dampening for a smooth "GSX like" ride on the trails, and the final 1/3 of travel to be super dampened to help prevent bottoming on the larger jumps. I never see it mentioned and for all I know they may all work like that, but I dont get that impression. Any help, info and techie advice will be great.

·
Mod'n is my thing
6,288 Posts
Dual rate refers to the springs themselves on the shocks. The coils are soft to begin then get tighter coils for stiffer action as they compress. That is why alot of racers run 2 and sometimes 3 different springs on one shock....dual and tripple rate spring action.

·
Registered
340 Posts
CALL ROSS at Hygear.
He can set you up for how ever you want. I went for a total exchange all new springs and Axis shocks. Ski springs were triple rates, then he switched me be to dual rate. You don't need to do that though he can change your spring and rebuild and revalve you shocks for whatever you desire.

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
You can valve compression dampening any way youd like, straight rate or progressive, rebound is straight rate. For springs you can use a straight rate, a dual rate spring OR you can run multiple springs to run dual or even triple rate setups.. Your wallet and the willingness to open it is the limiting factor.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Most position sensitive shock soften up the mid-range travel of the shock. I don't know of any that does 2/3 - 1/3. Remember, even position sensitive shocks are velocity dependent. Most shocks have a "low speed" circuit and a "high speed circuit. That refers to shock piston speed, not sled speed. You can be going 100 mph and just use the low speed characteristics of the shock. The "high speed" part of the shock can have progessive stack where a shim can flex over an intermediate shim befor it hit the next. So... the key is to have the correct spring rate along with the proper valving (low speed and high speed) in the shock, and there is virtually an infinite combination that can get your ride "right."
[email protected] (www.deycore.com)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks for the info. Velocity makes sense. A hard hit is fast and it would dampen more correct? Then slower mild stuff the shock will work softer, the hard damping only kicks in when it is a hard fast hit? Sounds good, but I feel the damping should be progressive as well. Fast or slow the shocks should be soft on smaller stuff that doesnt use the entire motion of the shock travel. When you hit something bigger that compresses the shock closer to its limit, the damping should kick in harder. That is truly the best of both worlds. TT670, can they make my stock adrenaline shocks into progressive shocks?

·
Registered
353 Posts
You can have progessive shock linkage but I don't know of a truely linear progessive shock (anyone?) - which is not the same thing as a progessive valve stack. Most sleds have falling rate (linkage) on the skiis and middle and rising rate on the rear. All in all, still fairly crude. JK

·
Registered
566 Posts
Kanobi,

Almost all shocks sense only velocity. They work the same whether they're at the top of the stroke or the bottom of the stroke. The exceptions are the "position sensitive" shocks like the Fox PPS used on some Polaris sleds and the Doo VR shocks. These have ports that open up in the middle of travel to soften the valving. The ports close up at the top and bottom of travel so they get stiffer. Some people think this is great and some people pay money to get the ports welded shut. I wouldn't call it the best of both worlds as far as today's state of the art.

Your Adrenaline model shocks are not take-aparts. They can be used as-is and that's it. The '03 Sport model had VR shocks on the skidframe. You can check the classifieds for people selling them. Not 100% sure they would fit an '05 but I think so.

Jon
'03 Rev 600 Sport

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow. I race Radio controlled cars that have higher technology in the shocks.

What kind of riding do the folks do that would close up the ports on position sensitive shocks? I bet they closed the ports when they added a "can" for "more power" J/K LOL

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! I just found out that anything under $2000 for a full set of shocks is going to be truly old technology. To get the good stuff that is adjustable and truly progressive you need to break well over the $2000 mark. Holy old school Batman! C`mon guys, lets get thinking here so we can bring some new shock tech to our sled world in an affordable fashion.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don't know if the sled world is ready for any kind of super-tech shocks. Look at the Arctic Cat SS shock - on paper you should have been king of the world but it turned out to be a resounding failure. Unlike the motorcycle world where people are willing to pay $250 for a shock rebuild, that just isn't going to happen in the sled world. Try to buy a hollow shaft for a rebound adjustable shock now and you are looking at $150 just for the part! Rip off a clicker and that can cost you $250. The OEM's are under a lot of pressure to hold the line and unfortunetly shocks are one item that gets cut. For my money, give me a Fox or standard HPG and rebuild them every 2 years for $25. With tech comes $ and that limits the market, of course the snoX market is different as price is not that much of a factory but a small market.
[email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts