Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
While getting my medical from my FAA physician he told me about how he was going to give a lecture to pilots about carbon monoxide poisoning, health effects and of course the danger associated with it. He told me a story about how he purchased a carbon monoxide detector to install in his 5th wheel travel trailer. His daughter and friend were playing in it, heat was on, all was good. He decided to install the detector that he purchased a few days prior. As he went in the 5th wheel the detector's alarm sounded. Initially he figured the detector was giving a false alarm so he popped the batteries to reset the device. Alarm sounded again. He later found the heat exchanger in the trailer's heater had cracked and was filling the 5th wheel.

After leaving I decided to pick one up from Walmart. Bought a Kidde "night hawk" battery powered detector for $25. Same deal here. My kids were playing in the camper while I was fixing/fooling around with odds and ends in my travel trailer. I had the hot water heater on to test it out. My detector went nuts. 288 PPM and that's with the hot water heater on for a whole 5 mins. 288 is kinda high, especially for children. Opened the door, got the kids out ASAP and turned everything off. The YoYo's at Forest River never installed the particle board pad under the hot water heater allowing the exhaust port to pull throw the outer frame thus allowing the deadly gas pump in the trailer. That really rattled my cage since my family and I were going camping for the weekend in the Catskills. I called my physician and told him the story. His reply was "Holy S$#@! Yeah, no kidding. I told him I'll buy any top shelf bottle, just name it.

The weekend of May 21st was somewhat cool at night so we had the windows and vents closed. I really wonder if the ranger would have found us all Sunday afternoon since we never left the site. Sheesh!

CHECK/GET A CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR(s) for your RV and Home!!!!!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts