Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking or real word feed back on these two skis on g4-g5 sleds ONLY. Went a little overboard on my studs this year, and not sure the pilots
are the ticket for me. Always ran 96studs and I was satisfied with stock pilots with shapers. But thinking I might need a little more this year
with 192 studs.
I do have a set of DS-2's that I ran sparingly a few years ago,I didnt really feel a whole lot of on trail performance gain, but I didnt really give them a fair
shake either.
I have been doing alot of searching and reading, sending emails to manufactures etc... but the waters get muddied lol
C&A recommended RZ skis with 9" shaper. On the surface that just sounds crazy to me. So I am hesitant to go that aggressive,
as I dont feel like I am missing the mark totally with the stock skis, just want a little bit more confidence without feeling like I
am steering a tank down the trail.
I am a fast trail rider only, no off trail. And would like to keep this post to the skis mentioned above. I know there are lots of options,
and opinions, but every topic on this forum starts with one ski, and ends with 10 others. I am hoping to keep this one on topic.
Lets see what happens!! haha.

· Registered
2018 MXZ-X 850, 2011 MXZ TNT 600
75 Posts
I have 90 studs on my MXZ and with pilots and 6" shapers could never get it to handle how I wanted. I went with XPTs and 6" round bars. Had to readjust the suspension a bit to lighten up the steering effort, but now it sticks in corners and takes only a little bit more muscle than the pilots.

· Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 90 studs on my MXZ and with pilots and 6" shapers could never get it to handle how I wanted. I went with XPTs and 6" round bars. Had to readjust the suspension a bit to lighten up the steering effort, but now it sticks in corners and takes only a little bit more muscle than the pilots.
thanks. I had thought about xpt's and a 8-10 round bar, as a happy medium. I am worried a shaper bar on an aggressive ski will be to much.

· Registered
2018 MXZX 850 / 2011 MXZX 800 etec
1,654 Posts
I’ve been running XPT’s for 4 seasons and I like them. I have 7.5” Shapers and it gives me confidence in any type corner I encounter. The steering is “heavier“ but I have no problem doing 200+ mile days.

Intersting that C&A recommended Razors. As the only difference I can see between them is the keels. The XPT’s are round and the Razor’s are pointed.

· Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve been running XPT’s for 4 seasons and I like them. I have 7.5” Shapers and it gives me confidence in any type corner I encounter. The steering is “heavier“ but I have no problem doing 200+ mile days.

Intersting that C&A recommended Razors. As the only difference I can see between them is the keels. The XPT’s are round and the Razor’s are pointed.
Are you studded?

· Registered
42 Posts
I agree, the original Pilot R's are a great upgrade over the Pilot X's.
I agree with that statement so far. I just put on a set and have only gone about 100 miles, but they turn way better without the steering effort of the C&As I had on my G4. The Pilot X pushed far too much for my liking, and the C&As were exhausting on snow with any frozen crust. The biggest issue I have now is trying to find scarlet red ski handles as I really don't like the look of the brighter reds mixed with the spartan red on the G5.

· Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with that statement so far. I just put on a set and have only gone about 100 miles, but they turn way better without the steering effort of the C&As I had on my G4. The Pilot X pushed far too much for my liking, and the C&As were exhausting on snow with any frozen crust. The biggest issue I have now is trying to find scarlet red ski handles as I really don't like the look of the brighter reds mixed with the spartan red on the G5.
What c&a and carbide did u have on your g4 and did you play with suspension to adjust ski pressure?

· Registered
42 Posts
What c&a and carbide did u have on your g4 and did you play with suspension to adjust ski pressure?
XCS with 6" round bar. I played with suspension considerably to combat this, but I've found the G4/G5 to be so rider-forward that aggressive skis seem to steer heavier than the XS/XP chassis did. My father had the Pilot R2s on his XS and 600RS and both of those steered considerably easier with a 1.5" keel than the 1" keel on the XCS on my G4. I changed the center and front springs (stiffer) and put considerable preload on the center spring which helped, but when it really froze up on below-zero nights, the sled would be a real bear to turn in the morning. I wore a lot of the texture off the grips in about 2K miles with this setup, so I really wanted something that didn't push in looser snow and also didn't steer like a power steering rack with the engine off.

· Registered
546 Posts
Fast trail rider here, no real off trail riding. had a 2017 TNT G4 with regular pilots and shaper bars for 2 seasons. Switched to DS2's with shapers and they were an overall improvement, especially in the powder or loose snow. Not as big of a difference on hard packed trails but still liked them better. Tried bergstrom carbides the last season and I liked them better than the shapers, not quite as aggressive and helped the inside ski lift compared to the shapers.
Bought a blizzard G5 this year and went right to C&A XPT's, never tried the pilot r's or whatever came on it.
Only one ride on it so far and its a different sled with the newer rmotion and rasx but so far I love them. Im running a round bar as I thought the shapers would be too aggressive too. Turn better than the G4 with any set up, flatter cornering (probably the rasx) and I dont feel any more steering effort than the DS2's with shapers. It was an early season ride and middle of the road snow conditions, not real hard packed but not real loose snow either. I may experiment with shapers on it if we ever get snow in NY again!

· Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fast trail rider here, no real off trail riding. had a 2017 TNT G4 with regular pilots and shaper bars for 2 seasons. Switched to DS2's with shapers and they were an overall improvement, especially in the powder or loose snow. Not as big of a difference on hard packed trails but still liked them better. Tried bergstrom carbides the last season and I liked them better than the shapers, not quite as aggressive and helped the inside ski lift compared to the shapers.
Bought a blizzard G5 this year and went right to C&A XPT's, never tried the pilot r's or whatever came on it.
Only one ride on it so far and its a different sled with the newer rmotion and rasx but so far I love them. Im running a round bar as I thought the shapers would be too aggressive too. Turn better than the G4 with any set up, flatter cornering (probably the rasx) and I dont feel any more steering effort than the DS2's with shapers. It was an early season ride and middle of the road snow conditions, not real hard packed but not real loose snow either. I may experiment with shapers on it if we ever get snow in NY again!
thanks for the feedback. I am leaning towards the xpt's. I just read so much about how the RZ steer hard, but who knows what people have or havent done with the suspension. There really arent drastic differences in the skis, so its kinda hard to imagine how it could steer so much different. I am also leaning towards a 8-10 round bar.

· Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did C&A give you a reason for recommending the RZrs vs the XPT?

Seems a bit odd as the RZ are marketed towards older sleds & XPT for the newer...
not really was very short and vague in his emails. I told him what I had and how i ride, and thats what he suggested. I mean i emailed the experts, and
this what they said, so I guess I shouldnt question it. But this isint my first rodeo, and I just have my doubts, especially with a 9" shaper that he recommended
He also stated these are the skis Levi Lavalle runs. Pretty sure me and him aint on the same playing field. lol

· Registered
2018 MXZX 850 / 2011 MXZX 800 etec
1,654 Posts
Are you studded?
No studs.

I know it’s not comparable. Although I ran Razors on my XP with 7.5“ Shapers that sled had heavier steering than my G4 with XPT’s. The XP was set up with less transfer and more for cornering than my G4.
I‘ve been using C&A skis since the 2003 on my sleds and always found them to be the best skis for handling.

· Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No studs.

I know it’s not comparable. Although I ran Razors on my XP with 7.5“ Shapers that sled had heavier steering than my G4 with XPT’s. The XP was set up with less transfer and more for cornering than my G4.
I‘ve been using C&A skis since the 2003 on my sleds and always found them to be the best skis for handling.
Thanks. Ya I dunno. I am leaning towards the xpt just because I feel it gives me a slight change for a little lighter steering. Now its just a matter of
figuring out what carbide. I have always ran shapers. But the only time I ran aftermarket skis were Curves with shapers, and they were heavy.
but different sled, different setup etc...

· Registered
546 Posts
Thanks. Ya I dunno. I am leaning towards the xpt just because I feel it gives me a slight change for a little lighter steering. Now its just a matter of
figuring out what carbide. I have always ran shapers. But the only time I ran aftermarket skis were Curves with shapers, and they were heavy.
but different sled, different setup etc...
Good choice! You can always go to the shapers if you want a little more.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts