·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how you would go about doing this..sled is a 2003 MXZX 800

·
Registered
728 Posts
space is tight. the thermostat is in the head and can be accessed by removing the "neck" that extends below the head. how i would do it for my 04 800:

1. remove airbox
2. pull off carbs from reed boots
3. loosen clamp on the neck that extends below the head and pull off hose - you will loose some coolant. you may want to drain/pump some coolant from your bottle before doing this.
4. 10 mm socket/wrench - unbolt neck from head
5. once neck is removed, the thermostat will come out.

when reinstalling, use some blue locktite on the neck. good luck.

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
Does he mean taking it out or lowering the opening temp?
Rich

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
No need to lower the opening temp.......it is allready the LOWEST in the industry........108*F

I have seen about 3 thermostat problems........s it is a valid idea to remove it.

if you remov it, YOU HAVE TO RESTRICT HE BYPASS HOSE!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the hose that runsfrom the top of the head to the coolant bottle..

I recomend getting a wood or steel DOWLE, that just fits inside that hose, and drill a 1/16" hole in the center of it.......stuff it in the hose, and install a hoseclamp around t, so it doesn't move.

I would HIGHLY recomend installing a temp gauge when doing this, and make sure you never ride the sled hard AT ALL unless the temp is at least 110*F.........you might find that in GOOD snow conditions, that the temp will be way to cold (under 100*) even when riding hard!

This is why I have choseen to do the following.......I drill 4 - 1/16" holes in the stat. I installed an 11/16" cheapo socket in the upper coolant hoe to restrict it slightly. This forcessme water through the heat exchanger, even when the engine is cold.......this PRE HEATS the exchanger, so that when the stat finally opens, you don't have a huge rush of COLD coolant filling your engine......and causing a cold seize!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was talking about dropping the opening temp i have heard you can open them a lot lower than stock...is this not true

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
I have a digitron on mine.....03 with a Delete kit.

In goodsnow, I can ride for8 hours and never see the temp go above 110*F........that was wit the stat fully intact.......PLENTY COOL for me.

what worries me, is that the stats like to fall apart, and plug up coolant passages........I had 2 fall apart on me in the last 2 years......

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
ps If you canfind me a source to get these stats in vrious opening temperatures, let me know.......I'd like to install one that doesnt oopen till about 120*

·
Registered
548 Posts
ski-doo only has one temp. with my delete kit, and a temp gauge, I always run half or just over on cold days and warmer on warm days, tryed the 4 - 3/16 holes in the stat a small decrease in temp, just dropped the stat, plugged the res hose, will see what happens .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts