Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone I know, including myself is getting rid of their short tracks for renegades! Seems like no one thinks they want of need one, until they ride one. By next winter I think there will only be a couple shorties left in our group.

Those probably won't make it much longer either. It's like a virus that is growing exponentially!!

·
Administrator - East Coast Tony
900T XRS
55,372 Posts
I was off trail two weeks ago and made it much further than I would have imagined, a renegade would have been useful.

·
Super Moderator
29,365 Posts
:shrug I'm liking my shorty. I've had Gades in the past, have ridden new Gades too, I have no reason to go longer for the way I ride. Buddy traded his '13 800 Gade X for a '14 800 shorty.

I guess its all in how you ride.

I think a 128 would be the best compromise.

·
Scuttle Buttin' Solo
73,646 Posts
x2

I'm torn between another gade or going back to a shorty........I think the 128 would be the perfect solution....

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Playing around, my shortie was more fun. If you like to put on a lot of miles and occasionally go off trail, renegades is where it's at!

More traction, smoother over the stutter bumps, better off trail..... Never going back to a 120" I hope they do come out with a128", might be perfect

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
love the quick handling and zero push of a shorty. Couple time this year off trail more track would have been welcome!
Mostly in the setup. I have. A set of triple threat skis ant the rear suspension just right it corners like its on rails!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I switched to a renegade in 06 and I was the first in my riding group now we are all riding tracks in that length. Not all bombardier products but they all are 137" or there competitions answer to it. The bump bridging and extra float off trail is just a no brainer for where we ride in Cape Breton I wouldn't have another sled for myself that was under 137 long I don't think. For what little handling trade off you loose with the extra length or top speed I couldn't see myself going back to a shorty. They'll all get yah to the mail box in a hurry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have both. 2011 1200 renegade x and a 2014 1200 x short track. The 2011 has fresh shocks done by Monster and torsions that suite my weight to make the sag proper. The 2014 has a revalve by Monster, tender spring, and torsions that suite my weight. The 2014 also has 1.375 ice attack. The 2011 track is stock. The 2014 has better traction in all conditions and will hook up and out accelerate my renegade from a stand still by a good amount. Living in WI I do not venture off trail however this winter there has been plenty of loose snow on the trails to gauge the difference in traction. I like them both well enough but the short track is easier/less effort for me to squirt through the tight trails. Both also have 6.9's and aggressive trackers. For my kind of riding I will stick with the short track sleds but will be sure to have the right track under it.

·
Super Moderator
17,986 Posts
I have a 14 x shorty with monster performance shock setup and ice attack track. I've been wishing all season I went with a gade this time.

I'm waiting for 15 release to see if Brp will be doing a 128 with a bigger 4s. If they do I'm in!

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
I have both. 2011 1200 renegade x and a 2014 1200 x short track. The 2011 has fresh shocks done by Monster and torsions that suite my weight to make the sag proper. The 2014 has a revalve by Monster, tender spring, and torsions that suite my weight. The 2014 also has 1.375 ice attack. The 2011 track is stock. The 2014 has better traction in all conditions and will hook up and out accelerate my renegade from a stand still by a good amount. Living in WI I do not venture off trail however this winter there has been plenty of loose snow on the trails to gauge the difference in traction. I like them both well enough but the short track is easier/less effort for me to squirt through the tight trails. Both also have 6.9's and aggressive trackers. For my kind of riding I will stick with the short track sleds but will be sure to have the right track under it.
The track makes all the difference. My stock ripsaw SUCKS. Corner to corner in the tight twisties the shorty is probably better. But no one can dispute that the renegade rides smoother over the bumps. Here in CNY and the Tug Hill where i primarily ride, there are not a lot of tight twists. I will never own a short track again.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Soon the short track will get an increase to 128 or it will be gone..Our dealer sold 150 plus sleds and only 4 were short tracks..

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I've rode renagades as well as 14 XF Cat and 136/7 Viper. I'll take a 128" if I can, if not, 120 for me.

I don't go off trail and if the trails are THAT bumpy that I need a limo, I stay home or turn around and find smooth trails.

·
Registered
242 Posts
:shrug I'm liking my shorty. I've had Gades in the past, have ridden new Gades too, I have no reason to go longer for the way I ride. Buddy traded his '13 800 Gade X for a '14 800 shorty.

I guess its all in how you ride.

I'm with you I love my shorty. And I think the only thing I would dump my current sled for would be the 128.

Reactions: V1

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've not driven a renegade with rmotion. Maybe that is the difference... My 2014 short track with rmotion seems to smooth the trails out as well or better than my 2011 renegade. Generally the trails in WI get whooped out in the corners, the further into the day the deeper the whoops and the further in and out of the corners depending on snow and traffic. I don't see either having much advantage as it seems the limiting factor isn't as much the skid as it is the front suspension...

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I'm going to try a Gade next time. Just the extra room on the tunnel would be useful. And with 15yrs of "Global Cooling" predicted I want to be prepared for the long deep snow winters to come...!

·
boost junkie
10,603 Posts
IMO the 120 will go away and 128 will be the new shorty

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
1 Phone Call And I Could Have A 128" 1200 In Less Than 48 Hours. I'd Do That Way Before Ordering A Brand New Sled.

I Didn't Buy A 4 Stroke To Keep Upgrading Every Couple Years. I Bought It To Fine Tune It Over The Course Of 20,000 Miles.
I'd Bet The Farm They Don't Release A New 4 Stroke Anywhere Near As Capable (Motor Or Chassis Wise) As My Current Ride

·
Registered
863 Posts
1 Phone Call And I Could Have A 128" 1200 In Less Than 48 Hours. I'd Do That Way Before Ordering A Brand New Sled.

I Didn't Buy A 4 Stroke To Keep Upgrading Every Couple Years. I Bought It To Fine Tune It Over The Course Of 20,000 Miles.
I'd Bet The Farm They Don't Release A New 4 Stroke Anywhere Near As Capable (Motor Or Chassis Wise) As My Current Ride
i have a 2011 and i have been trying to figure out the best way to go about making a 128, but being it has a drop cooler it seems to be the snag, unless i change out the cooler, i dont plan on running studs but rather a pre studded track, could you elabrate on the 128 in less than 48 hours, just wanting to see what other peoples ideas are.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts