Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thinkin about droppin a tooth on my top gear. Or maybe 2. Would I notice a big differance? Should I do 1 or 2? Would I have to get a new chain? Is it hard on the motor?

·
It's all in reading the parts before you run t
1,694 Posts
It will make a noticeable difference. There is a chart somewhere that tells you whether you will need a different length chain or not. It depends on where your current ratio and gears are. Someone will have the chart or be able to tell you...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how much would i loose off my top end?

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,665 Posts
Depending on setup you shouldn't loose any topend but get there quicker, may have to adjust your clutching some if needed.

-Grover

·
Registered
807 Posts
Depending on setup you shouldn't loose any topend but get there quicker, may have to adjust your clutching some if needed.

-Grover
I guy I know had a 700 RMK,
He dropped a tooth or 2, didn't have to change the chain, gained considerable torque, and he gained about 4 mph on the top end because the gearing made the cluch shift into overdrive.

·
It's all in reading the parts before you run t
1,694 Posts
Yeah shouldn't lose much on top, clutch will probably compensate.

·
Registered
815 Posts
It isn't easier or harder on the motor....given it's properly set up. Some might argue that dropping a gear actually is easier on the motor, belts and clutches because it isn't lugging or having to pull as heavy of a load. It all boils down to set up.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I put around 2000kms on my '06 600HO last season since dropping 2 teeth on top and installing a Cudney clutch kit. Huge difference in acceleration and it's a real fun machine now! My compression is getting down to the low 120's but my wife's '04 600HO with a fresh top-end at 140psi doesn't even come close. I can just keep pulling away from her all the way to top speed which didn't seem to be affected. Doesn't matter who's driving what sled. Fuel milage took a minor hit though. I take about 2 litres more than her's at fill up. Awesome combo for the 600HO. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I dropped 2 teeth on my 600 SDI Adren. On ice, it went from 108 mph to 100.
On snow, it went from 100 on hard snow, to 100 on less-than-hard-snow.

I like it better.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Pull the trigger and drop a gear, and change your primary spring while youre at it. Both are cheap mods and really wake the sled up. I lost a little top end on the short track 600, but nothing that even remotely concerned me. My Gade has the same gearing but also has a clutch kit and is really snappy. You will not have to replace the chain unless its really worn, if thats the case put a new lower gear in too, but I doubt that..

theres a thread on here somewhere about optimizing your 600ho. The suggested sring as well as much more useful info is in there...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thinkin about droppin a tooth on my top gear. Or maybe 2. Would I notice a big differance? Should I do 1 or 2? Would I have to get a new chain? Is it hard on the motor?
I dropped 2 teeth on my 04 and shortened the chain by 1 link and it was awesome!!!!! Gonna do the same to my new 2010 mxz tnt 600!!!! Helps to with a bigger lug track!!!! If your looking for that better holeshot!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So over all it sounds like it would be dumb not to. Sounds like it makes a big differance with the 600 ho. I just dont want it to mess up anything... still dont know if i shound drop 1 or 2 teeth though. Im all about getting from 0 to 80 more then 0 to 100 but i do like the gas milage im getting (but not that big of a deal)... My sled has 2500 miles on it. Dont know if that makes a differance or not.

·
Mass Confussion
2,988 Posts
So over all it sounds like it would be dumb not to. Sounds like it makes a big differance with the 600 ho. I just dont want it to mess up anything... still dont know if i shound drop 1 or 2 teeth though. Im all about getting from 0 to 80 more then 0 to 100 but i do like the gas milage im getting (but not that big of a deal)... My sled has 2500 miles on it. Dont know if that makes a differance or not.
If you like 0 to 80 go two teeth then. The higher rpms is going to use more fuel. (Rave valves open quicker and more often). Corner to corner is a lot of fun. I think you can drop two teeth without changing the chain on that sled(most sleds apply to that rule of thumb). Then maybe some clutch work and.........Hang on!

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you like 0 to 80 go two teeth then. The higher rpms is going to use more fuel. (Rave valves open quicker and more often). Corner to corner is a lot of fun. I think you can drop two teeth without changing the chain on that sled(most sleds apply to that rule of thumb). Then maybe some clutch work and.........Hang on!
where is everybody buying gears at?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will I have to do any clutch work? Or will it be fine stock?? I would rather not have to do any clutch work if possible.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Your biggest problem is probably your MBRP can. It is probably making you slower than the stock pipe. You talk about messing something up, that will do it. Take the can off and drop 2 teeth you will be way faster and you wont close trails with a noise that is offending to landowners that they (for now) allow you to ride on their land.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Even if I drop 2 teeth?
I had an 04 and I dropped 2 teeth and shortened the chain 1 link to take the dog leg out of it......a straight chain has more response......If I was you I would drop 2 and see how the chain looks, if you have room to shorten it by a link do it.....it will help with what your looking for!!!!! I wouldn't just drop 1 on the gear cause chances are you wont feel much difference, their will be, but not much!!! Trust me this is a quick and cheap upgrade to aggressive trail riding and off trail riding!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts