Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Level 4 Illuminati / NWO whistleblower
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been asked.....everyone says that "all" doo's with RER do this...but...

...man it's unnevering. It doesn't just doo it when I go from rer back to forward. It does it just about every time I stop, and then accelerate quickly. There's a slight delay after I mash the throttle, then a "KUNK!", then sled takes off. Acts exactly like the chain is way loose, but of course the chain is tight.

Also, I noticed if I put my hand on my driven clutch, I can move it about 1.5" clockwise and counterclockwise. This is probably where the clunk comes from. Is this play and noise normal? 05 GSX 500ss btw. Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
My driven moves about 1/4". I think you have some sort of a problem in your gearbox. Maybe the idler is bad and is making it seam tight but really it's not. Don't know how that can happen but it sure does sound like a gearbox problem. If it was me I would open it up for piece-of-mind.

Skully

·
ITs WINTER!
7,500 Posts
Big loud bang is normal but that much movment isnt...

Pop the lid off the chaincase and have a boo in there and see whats going on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
See if you can move the shaft with the drivers on it (driveshaft) up or down. Maybe the driveshaft bearing on the chaincase side is shot and it allows the shaft to move but not enough to make it gears or track skip. I obviously don't have the answer i'm just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
evilstevie said:
I know this has been asked.....everyone says that "all" doo's with RER do this...but...

...man it's unnevering. It doesn't just doo it when I go from rer back to forward. It does it just about every time I stop, and then accelerate quickly. There's a slight delay after I mash the throttle, then a "KUNK!", then sled takes off. Acts exactly like the chain is way loose, but of course the chain is tight.

Also, I noticed if I put my hand on my driven clutch, I can move it about 1.5" clockwise and counterclockwise. This is probably where the clunk comes from. Is this play and noise normal? 05 GSX 500ss btw. Thanks!
[snapback]684252[/snapback]​
The inner half of the secondary moves like that, at least on my SS it does - the outer doesn't.

I also had the clunk you describe. I adjusted my belt deflection, and tightened my track just a little, and it went away. Not sure which thing did it, but I'd guess it was the deflection...

·
Crazy Person
5,618 Posts
You guys are funny.

Look at your drivers when you are moving the secondary...see the drivers going back and forth between the cogs on the track? That's where your clunk is coming from. It's nothing to worry about, when you hit the brakes the forward-most cogs hit the drivers, so when you accelerate again there's a little bit of play in there during engagement before the drivers contact the rear-most cogs.

Go move the secondary by hand and watch the drivers, you'll see it.

·
1,751 Posts
Yellowknife said:
You guys are funny.

Look at your drivers when you are moving the secondary...see the drivers going back and forth between the cogs on the track? That's where your clunk is coming from. It's nothing to worry about, when you hit the brakes the forward-most cogs hit the drivers, so when you accelerate again there's a little bit of play in there during engagement before the drivers contact the rear-most cogs.

[snapback]684352[/snapback]​
uh...so where were you an hour ago yellowknife?
So I go to the trouble of taking my battery cage off, draining my chaincase, popping my chaincase cover off...(good thing I used ATF last time, us cheapskates worry about little things like that), and find my chaincase to be fine. Chain is too tight if anything. Spin the secondary by hand and both gears move together...no slop, so......

I hear this rumbling from underneath. What do you know? The track sprockets are moving inside of the track. So now I think that maybe my track is too loose, or something else is HORRIBLY wrong, only to see yellonknife's post...

Oh well....I wanted to get the ATF out of there anyway, and I've never had my chaincase apart before, so......I guess I learnt something....at least.

Looks pretty good eh?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Yellowknife said:
You guys are funny.

[snapback]684352[/snapback]​
I told myself it was normal for about 150 miles. Then I fixed it.

·
Crazy Person
5,618 Posts
Nice chaincase!

·
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so I still don't know why the track drivers on this rev clunk so bad between the cogs, while no other sled that I've ever ridden in my life has done this. I'll spin the secondary on a poo xcsp and old mxz 583 when I get home to see how much it moves....but I doubt it will be an inch and a half. Probably more like 1/4" since those sleds have no "clunk" at all.

thanks.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.