Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone else has gone to any races whit there 770's & what classes you ran? I went a couple years ago & only could run 800 improved & up but when I asked what classes I could run they asked what it was & said a 600 bottom end whit a 800 top end which I think was my first mistake? I just wanted to be honest. Think of maybe going again if I can run a lower class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
520 Posts
Depends on racing santions, if Isr affiliate then I believe you have to be 800 improved or possibly pro stock or 800 mod. Why would you want to run classes below that since it is essentially an 800 mod engine?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I look at is a 600 on crack lol I ran 800 improved pro stock & mod and all 3 classes I didn't have a chance knocked out first round in all 3. 800 mods & pro stock it was bad improved it not so bad but still got walked Sled rips & I figured I do ok but not so much. Even running against stock 8's at my buddy's strip I have all I can do some times to get them. Do ok till about 400ft

·
Registered
655 Posts
A 770 will have to run with 800's pretty much anywhere. You may get away with running a lower class if you sneak by their tech but when you win and they start checking ya or tear ya down the truth will come out and and most that have done that are forever looked at in a different way if ya follow me. Not my kinda racin!! But that's my opinion.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree whit you that's why I asked. I want to be honest and be fair. I just wasn't sure if it being the displacement is a 770 that I could run a 700 mod class or what the true technicalities were being its a 600 bottom end still at the end of the day. Yeah there is a little more I could do to make it run better whit the 800 but I still would like to trail ride it some and it not be just a drag sled if that makes sense

·
Registered
655 Posts
I hear ya. Depending on who's race it is they may have a trophy trail class and money classes. Fine tune it the best you can but remember to tell yourself it's your TRAIL sled before you get carried away. That's what I have to do with my trail sled. And it's good to hear you want to be honest.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I have it rate at the line of still being safe to run for the trails. Single pipe and jetted accordingly. Yeah I could drop a few sizes before I race & what not. To me why cheat to win. That's why I'm honest & asked. When I went before I could of just ran lower classes but I didn't want to get tore down & be that guy. So I asked the guy at sign in but wanted to get a second opinion cuz he didn't seem like he was even sure just Hurd 800 jugs & said 800 improved & up.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Have you tired going to a SHCRA race, I'm sure they will put you in a class that your sled can be competitive in.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I almost wanna say that's who put it on but I'm not 100% it was in 2014 at ilion snow drifters

·
Registered
777 Posts
It wouldn't of been SHCRA,most likely was powersled racing. Some 800 improved sleds are running mid 180 hp with high rpm pipes, higher compassion heads, amd race fuel.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Yeah that does sound more like it now that you said it. Yeah the sleds I went up against we're twin piped mods & a freeride 137 whit work done to it. I'm just running a dmax single pipe in to the stock can whit 40mm carbs & had some race gas mixed in & maybe pushing 150 Hp

·
Registered
777 Posts
In my opinion you would be better suited in the 600 pro improved class in the shcra class. You could always bump into 600 pro mod as well.

·
hater on all xrs and freeride owners that drive li
2,307 Posts
outlaw class maybe? i spect that is wear it would end up with all the other oddball stuff in a sanctioned race. and at any of our local races in the north it would be in the twin pipe 800 mod class, maybe 800 improved which is what we normally run modded single pipe 800's depending on who's tecking

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In my opinion you would be better suited in the 600 pro improved class in the shcra class. You could always bump into 600 pro mod as well.
Those were the classes I was thinking I could run when I went that time. I could see if I had twins and Hc domes that I'd have to run a higher class but there not Hc just a dmax head and pump gas domes but in my eyes it's still just a 600 bottom end whit work done no diff than boring out a 6-700 and just running mod classes so I figured 600 pro mod & up but not from what they said. Also like a said I told them it was a 770 6 bottom end 800 top end and that's when they said 800 improved & up If I go to a schra race what should I tell the tec it is? Like I said above I wanna be honest & not come home whit my motor in a box's lol

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Gride, message rich Daly on Facebook as he is the one who puts on the shcra races. Tell him what you got and he will let you know what class he will put you in. He also tries to put racers in classes that he knows they can be competitive in by indexing certain sleds and such.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok thanks jb il look hem up & see what he says & post back what I find out

·
Registered
520 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but to be competitive 800 imp your gonna have to be 200-220hp. I know guys that were making that with 700srx and they run 700, cat zrt, mach z, xcr......
To be competitive in most drags, you got to give it 100%, lots of time testing on timing lights, clutching, suspenion, etc. Unless they are snow drags and have a trail class or similar

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
777 Posts
That horsepower for 800 imp sounds about right but horsepower isn't everything. The other things mentioned are equally or more important. I see lower powered sleds win every weekend at the races.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts