Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Double backer track damage

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  robm 
#1 ·
Well I had a short weekend of riding...didn't even make it out of town, noticed a green puddle under my sled after paying for my gas. Studs finally gouged their way through the heat exchanger, and I couldn't figure out why at first. After taking the track off, all I could find was one stud snapped off at the nut, so I assumed that to be the culprit. Then I looked a little more and found that the track had torn around one of the double backers, which allowed it to "flap" at higher speeds. I cut and removed that piece of track, but there is another spot starting to tear the same way. Tried to pull all the studs out today, but about 1/3 of the torx fittings were stripped so I couldn't get some them out...ending up putting them all back in. I plan to make some front cooler protectors and see what happens...friggin' studs.

Anyways, has anybody else seen track damage like this? 1900 miles, stock '03 440 track.

See less See more
#4 ·
If you are going to run studs on a 440 track, you must run the tall nuts too. The small nuts allow the studs to bend and the pressure on the backer plate loosens a bit and then tears the track.

A good solution (if you want studs) is to buy single backer plates and big nuts. Then run half the number of studs using the good existing holes.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I had an air ratchet on them, worked great on the ones that the torx fittings weren't stripped on. The ones that I couldn't get off, I tried vice grips on the stud and just a normal wrench to break the nut free, but the vice grips always managed to slip...those nuts are tight. What a "edit for bad language"-off! I thought about a zip disk or torch, but cutting 30+ studs off at the nuts that way would be pretty time consuming. I don't think it would be possible to put the tall nuts on now! All I need from that track is to last me the rest of the season...fingers are crossed. Thanks for the input, guys.

#10 ·
2doodave, I don't think I'm gonna replace any but I appreciate the offer. Cory, quick turn around! Thanks a lot, hope it wasn't too much of a hassle.

#11 ·
robm said:
2doodave, I don't think I'm gonna replace any but I appreciate the offer. Cory, quick turn around! Thanks a lot, hope it wasn't too much of a hassle.
[snapback]701586[/snapback]​
no problem it'll just cost you... one million dollars!! ohh ahh ahh!!! In unmarked loonies!! LOL! Just kidding you'll just have to buy me lunch one day!!

#14 ·
Had the exact same thing happen to my track this weekend. I heard the noise the stud was causing as it was hitting the heat exchanger and I stopped immediately. I found the offending studs and cut the section out of the track. Luckily it didn't puncture the cooler.
Well I'm glad my little situation was able to help somebody! lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.