Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to try and get to Dorset this week-end and head north. I know that the trails south of Dorset can be garbage without a lot of snow...how are they going north where they now show yellow?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
any sections not on a road are going to be rough and rocky. the maple ridge road from the dump north about 5miles is great, the rest is hit or miss, some good sections some not so good. It will be busy! as you get north of dwight there is more snow.

this is as of last weekend, but not much snow since.

I was hoping they would open up the sherborne rd 64, but we will see. Its generally high, dry and a wide forest access rd, but there are a few swamps which may be why nothing yet

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Was just south of Dwight yesterday and snow wasn't bad, but was hoping to see a bit more. Let us know what it's like on the trails.

Heading back up next week for a few weeks and hope to get some riding in.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Trails around here were good tonight but there's going to be a ton of people out tomorrow, don't think they will hold up well. Ran out from Dorset garage on lake of bays tonight and also ran out on kawagama. Go at your own risk though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
How are the lakes now ? Particularly Lake of Bays up towards Dwight. Would like to run the last few km's and catch the trail in Dwight.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Didn't expect they would, just hadn't been up there till the other day. That's the reason for asking. Not interested in swimming with the fishes. :eek:hmy_old:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Just ran big and little hawk, Sherborne.

Stay off the lakes unless you're VERY confident with your sled!!!!!

Lots of wet spots, some very black and very wet! Unexpected on Sherborne, but it's had snow on it for a while, some little spots just haven't frozen yet.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Big spots on the lakes didn't freeze until this week but it's been -20 every night. More ice in the newly frozen parts than where there is snowy slushy spots. Ran the big part of kawagama lake and Dwight beach to Dorset today. Very black doesn't mean much could be a foot a black ice for all you know.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Big spots on the lakes didn't freeze until this week but it's been -20 every night. More ice in the newly frozen parts than where there is snowy slushy spots. Ran the big part of kawagama lake and Dwight beach to Dorset today. Very black doesn't mean much could be a foot a black ice for all you know.

I've been riding these lakes for 30 years. I was beating around the bush, It was pure water...

The water is warmer than normal and fast moving right now. Lakes are not safe and you were foolish for going where you did.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Foolish me. I watched the lake freeze I know where it's safe and not. Not saying everywhere I went yesterday was safe and I wouldn't recommend going out on the lake, especially if you're not familiar with the lake or not confident in your sled.
ec7cecfdb5f6db116904c9dac377dd1a.jpg

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I smell burning sliders !

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ran Big Hawk, Three Brothers, Clear, Raven, Sherborne, St. Nora's, Kushog Saturday and Sunday.....I agree you better know the lake, didn't find any unexpected open spots but LOTS of slush and kept the throttle close to the bar at all times. Lots of snow on the lakes. Sunday lots of slush was frozen stiff, it's going to be rough riding on these lakes all year.

Sherborne trail was excellent on Sunday, also rode out towards Baysville and down to Carnarvon over the week-end, those trails aren't too bad but there are some rocky spots. Don't take 102B which is closed, but there were lots of tracks on it so we followed. There's a bridge out about halfway with 8' drop on either side. We came upon 2 fellas that got one sled across but not the second, don't think they would have got it without 5 of us yanking it out. Shame it closed it's a nice trail.

·
OCD Sledhead
8,598 Posts
Anybody run the lake down to baysville
You mean from dorset along that shore?

I would not think Baysville to Dwight would be something id be trying yet...lol

Big part last to freeze, it was last tues was open and froze over wed.

HGR went yellow, so im thinking run trails to south portage, or maybe north portage and across PENN to 77. Loop north up to Sand lake if I get out early enough. Or just loop back down 101 to oxtongue and dwight for food.

Dan

·
ride hard or die trying
7,799 Posts
You mean from dorset along that shore?

I would not think Baysville to Dwight would be something id be trying yet...lol

Big part last to freeze, it was last tues was open and froze over wed.

HGR went yellow, so im thinking run trails to south portage, or maybe north portage and across PENN to 77. Loop north u to Sand lake if I get out early enough.

Dan
How long of a ride do you think that will be. Might text you about tagging along

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Hey Dan, If you end up anywhere on D north, between Kearney and South River let me know.

We'll be running out of sand lake 303 and I'd like to meet the legend Rockerdan in person.

I'll be on my 2015 XRS black and will be with some lder Doo's and a boosted Yammi (that thing is tuned by the mod father and worth a listen).

Enjoy one day before the rain. Hope to cross paths.

Reactions: rockerdan

·
OCD Sledhead
8,598 Posts
Aiming to head out of Mary lake in AM, HGR trail 52,51,102,54 to south portage and try to run LOB around to Dwight beach, and then run 101 up to Sand lake if the going is good. Will keep eyes out for everyone!

Im on my black 16 1200, and Dano is on his Mcdoo etec, you cant miss his color!

Also wanted to let anyone know I measured my Lake here at north end, and half way down, and also port sydney end, all measuring 8 inches thick now, and ZERO slush. I layed down lots of tracks on my shoreline from Port sydney to the north end here.

Dan

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts