Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
41 - 60 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
DID you sell your sled!!!
Yes sir, to a fellow Dootalker at Haydays.

By the way guys, I'll be updating this thread with more photos and info starting in about a week. Work and motocross are calming down, which means snocross is just around the corner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
TIP sheet #1 was sent out this morning for all 2019 600RS owners and racers.

They do these sheets each year as a way to communicate important information regarding personnel changes, sled setup suggestions, race schools, etc.

If you're not receiving these already or are planning on buying a 2019 at the end of the upcoming race season, I strongly encourage you to email Helene Despaties at [email protected] Ask to be added to the distribution list for the TIP sheets so you can stay up to date on the information I mentioned earlier. If anyone has any questions, you can also reach out to me via PM, email [email protected], or text 815.276.3624, thank you guys!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
TIP Sheets are always scary!!!! I hope this one was simple for you! Never will forget the 1st sheet in 2008 when the xp came out. I didn't even have my sled yet and it told me to pull the jack shaft and weld it together better. Then drill a hole all the way through the jack shaft and put a bolt all the way through it so the inner jack shaft could not separate from the outer jack shaft....that was a fun project....NOT!

Reactions: petersen112

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Time to check back in! We're definitely flying into this race season and that means I'll be posting a lot more in the coming weeks, hopefully sharing some helpful info I gather along the way.

With the 2019 sled going to a 137 track, a lot of people have been wondering what stud pattern and how many studs they should be running for the best performance on track. As many of you know, Stud Boy has helped our privateer effort for a number of years and while I love their products, it's their service that truly means a lot to me. Danielle Pattyn was kind enough to reach out to me this evening with two patterns for the new sled so I figured I'd share that for future use:
95cc118f5137f773ab35b3d9e57a58a1.png

367522e8608f73e2f3f74de7818beb3c.png

The sleds should be in soon, but in the meantime I'm continuing to train and line things up for the coming season. What do you guys think, should we do another run of team shirts and hoodies? We're debating doing the logos in sunburst yellow but would like your feedback beforehand! Also, if anyone has any leads on people that may want to support our program this year, please pm me or email me at [email protected]

Oh, and if anyone would like to meet up at the Milwaukee snow show this weekend, leave a comment or PM me. I'll be making the rounds on Saturday to talk to some longtime friends and sponsors and would love to meet some of you guys that have helped me the past two years. If you weren't at Haydays to grab a signed poster, I could also bring a couple of those with me!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Things are going to be going from 0 to 100 here real quick, so hopefully you're all staying tuned in. The 2019 race sleds have started to arrive and we should have ours this coming week, which means it'll be going back up to Goodwin Performance for Greg, Kurt, Matt, Jared, and I to get dialed in for the season.

Before I go any further, I'd like to thank Pitgrunt and Madsled for holding the meet and greet at the Milwaukee snow show yesterday. It was great to meet some of you fellow members and talk about our plans for 2019. I've said it before, but I really don't think I could be more excited for the season to come!

At this point, I'm trying to see if we can get enough interest to do another run of tshirts and hoodies. We've got a lot of interesting things planned for 2019 and are excited to be working with some new supporters, so we figure the shirts are a great way to promote what we are doing. Prices should be around the same as last year, $20 plus shipping for tshirts and $30 plus shipping for hoodies. However, we're only going to be doing them in black this time around, but we'll be printing all the logos in flo yellow so they'll really pop! They'll be similar to the ones below (imagine yellow and a couple new logos):

fea30701e043dc5b7792fffbbdc77e08.png

Please PM me or text 815.276.3624 if you are interested in one. Just like last year, I'll ask everyone to pre-order so I can ship as soon as I get my hands on the final product. The sooner I hear from people, the sooner we can lock in the first order!

Now, for those of you wondering, we have decided to go ahead and use the same Paypal account as last year for those interested in donation to support our racing effort. The email is [email protected] Also, if you do make a donation, please include your fulll name and username in the notes section so I can have Jeff add the new badge to your profile. It will also give me the chance to reach out to you after the fact. If you feel like donating now, we are early enough in the preseason that I can include you in the sled wrap and a couple other areas if interested.

With that being said, if you do not feel comfortable donating, please don't worry. We're going to make this season happen one way or another. It's my life and passion so at the end of the day, just seeing your guys' posts in this thread makes it worthwhile for me. I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Tip sheet #2 was sent out this afternoon along with the contingency forms for 2019. This tip sheet is very important if you have received your 2019 race sled. If you need a copy of either, please reach out to me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
We're getting close! This is about to be one very busy weekend. I'm hoping the sled arrives tomorrow so I can begin installing this bundle of parts:
37d33b0862353f0ab92a12afb0782ef8.jpg

That's just a portion of them. Unfortunately, I just couldn't fit them all into one photo haha. But, rest assured, this 2019 race sled will be one of the sharpest race sleds in recent memory.

In addition to the sled, we also have some finishing touches on our trailer. It'll serve basically as our 2nd home this winter so we want it to be set up and stocked up. We've got some lighting to complete along with the vinyl door strips so we don't have to be so secluded on race days. After all, we want to interact with people at the tracks. As for stocking up, Jared should be set with all the chemicals and tools he needs to get the job done in between races:
31cb6a777ede3bba1713132c11c2bcfc.jpg

If the trailer and sled weren't enough to keep me busy, I'm also finalizing the race gear and of course the t-shirts/hoodies for the year. Here's this year's race pants with my go-to Fly Racing windproof technical jersey. I'll have some new jerseys to show off here soon along with some new logos. We have some pretty big news to share in regards to people coming on board to help our program, so stay tuned for that!
971e2d5d17557ccfde58af348fc0a4c3.jpg

38a9d8bbf49e0c1cd69831940c855b2d.jpg

I'll have more photos and news to share over the weekend. If there's something particular you guys would like to see, please let me know and I'll make it happen! Talk to you all soon!

Brian Petersen #112

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
What needs to be done for tip sheet 2? Looking at picking up a 19
Sending you a pm here in a minute

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I received some bad news prior to the weekend that my sled wasn't going to be in yet, so I'm still waiting (impatiently) to get to work on that. I did spend some time working on the trailer with my brother and neighbor and I will get photos of our progress posted soon!

In the meantime, I wanted to share a message I received from a fellow racer on Facebook:
93809f64e576d1e6ca29b3f0624a991d.png

Please add and message him if you are interested in that new ISOC class.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Sled or no sled, the work goes on. I did receive word that my sled will be arriving this week but with all the work that needs to be done, I used this weekend to try and get a jump on it.

On Friday night, my brother and I began chipping away at the long to do list. I started prepping the generator and Can-Am quad with some regular maintenance. Maintenance continued into Saturday and boy was it eventful. If you've ever been to a national or even a regional, you've probably seen everyone with quads hauling sleds around on dollies. It really keeps from tearing up the carbides and studs so I'd recommend it to anyone. With our hitch rusting, it was time for a fresh paint job.

We then went back to the trailer, cutting and measuring the majority of the vinyl strip curtains to help us keep the heat in all season long. It's really coming along!
e19bd8cf3f9f42e4b4b1bf88e855970d.jpg

Also screwed down our rubber horse mats so they don't move when loading/unloading. After one season, I'm really impressed with how well it protects the floor. If you need similar mats, check out your local tractor supply store for 4x6 sheets.

Then today I started the usual preseason stuff. First off, inventory! With all the cosmetic wear and tear these sleds take in a year, I can't stress how important it is to have spares in the truck/trailer. This is just one of several bins we use to stock up OEM rivets, fasteners, and straps:
477403bf734a20eca2925781c71d60c0.jpg

After that, I got to work on the C&A Pro XT skis. With us going with our usual yellow/black colors, it was time to change the ski loops. A real pain in the butt can be avoided here with a ratchet strap. If you tighten it like so, you can swap out the handles in 15 minutes no problem. However, grab a friend to make the job a lot easier!
01d1b2e8f4490e8ae8a0345575a4300b.jpg

7b7840d10008531ba3babeb6d9ad311b.jpg

d3789df1c00a15a149be1f3e40ac6778.jpg

With the handles done, I moved onto the Stud Boy super-lite double backers. To get a jump on studding the track, I go ahead and tap the backers about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through. You'd be surprised how much time and headache this saves in the end.
86e9776fc17b01269057e4a0c6632c37.jpg

a1e1d04aae4d4c6aa4c874b9ca6802c1.jpg

de4e62ea38e39a82cb243539e673aec2.jpg

3c3c6e37e1b9d18eac5017cfb9588e16.jpg

The last thing I had a chance to work on were the Rox dorsal plates for the skis and I'll get some photos of those early this week.

Thanks for tuning in!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
More photos of the skis with the Rox dorsal plates:
90769bc92e92fcb122bda0835a69aeb3.jpg

The sled has finally arrived so tomorrow night I'll have more photos once I get over to the dealer to pick it up. Keep your eyes peeled for more!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Thanks Ken!

There will be lots of posts coming this weekend as my brother and I were able to pick up the new race sled last night.

Next week it will be heading to Goodwin Performance for the major work to be done, but I'm going to do all that I can before then with plenty of photos to show the progress along the way.

Also, for those who have messaged me about the shirts, believe me when I say I am very sorry for the delay. I've had to switch designers and will be keeping it in the Dootalk family by having Marky49 handle the printing of those. I think the final product will be even better than last year.

In addition to that, I'll be sharing some news next week about our new sponsors. Very pleased to say that Dootalk is the reason for them coming on board.

Now, you know the drill...stay tuned! Haha

·
Ride it like ya stole it
3,759 Posts
Thanks Ken!

There will be lots of posts coming this weekend as my brother and I were able to pick up the new race sled last night.

Next week it will be heading to Goodwin Performance for the major work to be done, but I'm going to do all that I can before then with plenty of photos to show the progress along the way.

Also, for those who have messaged me about the shirts, believe me when I say I am very sorry for the delay. I've had to switch designers and will be keeping it in the Dootalk family by having Marky49 handle the printing of those. I think the final product will be even better than last year.

In addition to that, I'll be sharing some news next week about our new sponsors. Very pleased to say that Dootalk is the reason for them coming on board.

Now, you know the drill...stay tuned! Haha

sounds great brian. can't wait to see the new sled an stuff. and what the new shirts look like.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Trying to make the most of this weekend so here we go!

Here's the sled as she sat since we picked it up Wednesday night:
c946f7113f4cb126939fd99a562fc582.jpg

Kicked off tonight by starting at the front of the sled with the skis. As most of you know, last year Ski Doo came out with their own race ski that's comparable to the C&A Pro XT ski. Here's a quick comparison:
052773286ee2249d2281ce4b8f1964e8.jpg

In order for the install to go smooth, make sure you have the bushings pressed into the inside of the skis. If you don't have a clamp to do this, you can always grab two washers, a nut, and a bolt and tighten until it sits flush. This will give you plenty of room to slide all of the necessary washers into place.
13eec7a3bbce8dac08b344d9bf290332.jpg

ac2d8fad5de4e39697160d7ec1b210ab.jpg

After that, I took a little bit of time to see how I'll run my toe holds this season. Usually I just use limiter straps on the outside of the toe holds but in an effort to get more leverage, I'm going to try some belt material I picked up from a Tractor Supply Co:
02017d7f3f89cc01c2f08d301d026d50.jpg

The last thing I was able to get done tonight was stripping the front of the sled down to give me plenty of access to change the risers and the kill switch. Ski Doo's race sleds used to come stock with 5" risers but in 2018 and 2019, they were lowered quite a bit. Being that I'm 6 feet tall, I prefer to run a Fly Racing 5" riser. Very affordable and easy to install, I'd recommend it to anyone looking to gain some comfort.
11640b1402a5a01f843239e8ac1a37df.jpg

Tomorrow, we'll be replacing the stock kill switch with a Fly billet kill switch.
a4d1229f345f8807ed990a3ef7b1d500.jpg

That's it for tonight, but here are some additional photos to hold you guys over till I can post more tomorrow night:
7724bfe472b28062de84afce2ad08476.jpg

6f402f9e601884cd547b9aa4dbff7676.jpg

3f605b9eb5f05497e1af44c5b7d08473.jpg

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Another productive day today...

Finished up work on the Fly kill switch and tucked it back inside the stock cable housing:
c152a651ea56bf14b31f7e3724e99c5d.jpg
d1feb08abcfe2d879433a7cc4f4868f8.jpg

Jared's help was huge today. While I worked on swapping the nose cone and installing the rear bumper, he took on the task of cleaning the air box out and inspecting/cleaning the clutches. It's really important to double these due to oil that will cause belt slippage.

a144b59b4ba0f5a06be6e536e955f7a8.jpg

5914f55f65381f861e3f443025d091ef.jpg

Then, it was back to the little job. First off, making sure the electrical is snug by adding zip ties.
6f59aaaccdae5e15feed0febd251f885.jpg

Then I went back to work on the toe holds. It's really become a necessity to have some sort of strap/belt on the side of these to help with cornering. This wider belt should work great this season:
e5a5782761fce3d169a0e44d12516e88.jpg

The final touch before calling it a night was removing the stock grips and replacing them with ODI ones. If you struggle with grips, try this trick: take your blow gun and blow into the hole on the end of the grip. It'll help you remove them in a second. Getting a new set on is almost as easy using the same trick; the only difference is that I spray some cleaner into the grip so they slide on a little ways. That way when you use the blow gun, it's easier to work onto the bar.
30a2d701457b91e4ce1caa9d916f8510.jpg

Let me know what you guys think so far, it's coming along pretty well I think!

Tomorrow night I'll post a more in-depth review of everything we've done and talk about the various aftermarket parts I prefer to run. Thanks for checking out our progress!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Looks Great! Can't wait to see the end result
Can't wait to see it with the wrap on it! Going to be a great season.

41 - 60 of 273 Posts