Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
261 - 273 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
Hey guys,

We're now a couple days removed from the hustle and grind of the snocross season and with my arm starting to heal up, I'll be doing a large write-up tonight after work. Stay tuned as I wrap up the season, thank some very special folks, and ask for your input for the 2020 race season that will be here before we know it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Hey guys,

We're now a couple days removed from the hustle and grind of the snocross season and with my arm starting to heal up, I'll be doing a large write-up tonight after work. Stay tuned as I wrap up the season, thank some very special folks, and ask for your input for the 2020 race season that will be here before we know it!

Skip the write up for a few weeks....come try XC racing. Dubuque this weekend and Blackjack Ski Hill in Ironwood on April 14th. See you there? This ol guy is going to jump back in to Semi-Pro and Pro Vet after a 6 year hiatus.

Reactions: Jeb©

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Skip the write up for a few weeks....come try XC racing. Dubuque this weekend and Blackjack Ski Hill in Ironwood on April 14th. See you there? This ol guy is going to jump back in to Semi-Pro and Pro Vet after a 6 year hiatus.
I would I could, but my arm definitely isn't going to allow me to race this weekend and I've got to get the sled ready for sale in the coming weekends too. Best of luck to you out there though!

·
Scuttle Buttin' Solo
73,428 Posts
Heal up Brian, and don't jar that arm any while eating quick recovery wings.... ;)

It may be over but you are welcome to frequent here during the off season too ya know.... don't be a stranger......

Reactions: petersen112

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
As you all know, the season concluded this past weekend at what we consider our hometown race, Lake Geneva, WI. In all my years of racing, I don't think I've ever had a more love-hate relationship with a track, but as far as venues are concerned, it doesn't get any better than this one. With paved pit parking up at the chalet, hotels and trolleys on site, and a track that consists of multiple uphills and downhills, you really could not ask for much more. On top of that, with the event being in March, the weather is always fantastic.

Unfortunately, this year Lake Geneva looked to be shaping up to be a little bit different. Early on in the week it looked like the weather was going to be a disaster with warm temps and rain leaving us to wonder how the weekend was going to pan out, but Jared and I worked hard to prep the sled for the weekend and we headed up early Thursday morning to get ourselves a nice parking spot up at the chalet. Thursdays at Geneva are usually pretty laid back as the sleds are usually already prepped and everyone is trying to relax before the three days of racing, but this year Jared gave the sled some extra love on Thursday to get it ready for the pro lite showdown on Friday. If he had known how much work he would be doing over the next couple of days, he probably would have killed me that day haha. Anyways, Thursday ended up being a little bit of a later night for us as we pitched in to help another GNSS regional racer ready to go for Friday, which consisted of reinstalling his suspension and adjusting some areas of his sled for the conditions we knew were coming.

4959f56e37cec5d448f5988959f38972.jpg

Friday was the day for the pro lite showdown and was a race day I had been looking forward to since last March. As you may recall, I had a great race going here last year before a crash on the downhill dropped me out of a podium position and left me with some excruciating rib pain for the remainder of the race weekend...remember that love-hate relationship I mentioned earlier? With that being said, I wanted to get some redemption for that mishap and that was my biggest goal heading into the weekend. After a brief yet fun practice, I was ready to go for our one and only qualifier. A so-so start had me running around 4th after lap one but I figured I could end up top three by the end of it. I was pushing hard going up the first hill in the 2nd lap when I hit a kicker at the top. My original intention was to triple into the rollers, but with the kicker and speeds in excess of 50 MPH I ended up going one further for a quad LOL. The impact was enough to break a motor mount bolt, which then caused the clutch side to flex. When that happened, the belly pan protector broke off and a portion of it managed to take out a piece of the helix. I pulled off to avoid further damage but in my mind, my weekend was done. I figured parts would be scarce and that even if we could track them down, there wouldn't be enough time to get the sled sorted out by the final.

767fe2ceb3e9edcb3aea973f06511d8a.jpg

7ec6ee7d68d417181dc5490d5a71604a.jpg

1482e4803f96ebdc9cf3b538bf04051d.jpg

Boy, was I wrong! It's at this point that I have to give a tremendous thank you to some of the people that have been around me or supporting me all season. My brother and dad stepped up big time, tracking down a replacement helix, while Jared started digging into the sled with some help from Leo and Hunter Patenaude's dad along with Elliott from Scheuring's. Our friend from Canada, Christopher, also played a big part in getting parts and helping us replace the helix. With the final coming after 9PM, we had just enough daylight and time to get the sled sorted out and wouldn't you know it, we were on the line for the final. After some people jumped the start, I found myself in 4th place for the opening laps of the 6 lap final. I knew from the year prior that it'd be incredibly important to save some energy for the last half of the race and at the halfway point, I was ready to make my move. After that, I controlled 3rd until the checkers flew, finally getting the podium ride in the pro lite showdown class that I had always wanted.

b261482598201260dd41335c5040fb16.jpg

8b08ba6d50195205055164ea211732e0.jpg

f661d1be5077e002ce789cd7dc367356.jpg

6e868aa2b2ee6119761d79a057c31dce.jpg

fe0465a154efe865364b4cf9961e800e.jpg

Jumping off topic a little here, but racing under the lights has always been a problem for me. I have far from 20/20 vision and when the sun goes down, my eyes have a hard time adjusting to the artificial lighting and the glare that comes with them. If you've seen my qualifying rides compared to some of my final performances this year, you may have noticed that I always seem slightly off the pace at night and I attribute a lot of this to my eyesight. Anyways, I want to thank my brother for stepping up again by letting me run his Fly Racing goggles for the final Thursday night. Not only did they help to cut down on the glare, but they didn't fog up at all making it that much easier to focus on the race and hitting my lines lap after lap. One thing is for sure, you will find me in Fly's goggles next year when Duluth rolls around and I'd strongly encourage anyone looking for a new pair of goggles to try them out as well.

Saturday was meant to be a late start for me, but with Ben racing in the sport lite class we wanted to get down to the track early to help him out, along with our other buddies in the class. Oh, and Saturday also marked the return to the snocross scene for my brother as Ben was kind enough to let him race his new to him 2019 race sled in the sport lite class. Essentially, we had 3 riders on the track this weekend! They both looked great in their heats, but the highlight was definitely watching my brother get back on the track to take a 3rd in his second heat. He's been out of it for some time now, but when we raced together on the Illinois regional series, we used to be very close in speed and were often found battling each other for podiums and wins. While they fell just short of making the LCQ, we'll definitely see them make a return next season!

Saturday morning also meant it was time for my sport practice. It was longer than usual which was a nice change of pace and allowed me to get adjusted to the track. My lap times were right there with the leaders in the class and I was really getting into the flow of things, especially on the 2nd downhill. That was until I landed in a hole after the last double at the bottom, resulting in a badly bent upper a-arm. I thought Friday was a rough go, but with even less time to get things fixed, I was really getting worried. However, just as he has done all season long, Jared persevered (along with Ben and Danny's help) to get the sled dialed back in for round 1 later that day. In the first round, I had a mediocre start and attempted to square up the first corner to get a good drive through the rhythm section up top when I came together with another sled's spindle causing me to come off. By the time I remounted and got going, I was in last place and there wasn't much that could be done from that point. We had to focus on round 2, but little did I know that would mark the end of my 2018-2019 race season. After starting up around the top 5, we came around to the finish line section, ready to begin our 2nd lap. Like the racers in front of me, I opted to double the finish line in order to keep my momentum in the rollers afterwards. Unfortunately, the rider behind me opted to attempt to triple into the rollers and after taking off, it was obvious to both him and the spectators watching where he was going to end up. He came down on the right side of my body, catching the majority of my shoulder and right arm with the track, which immediately put me on the ground. I rushed to the side of the track trying to figure out what had just happened. My first thought was that I had been slammed into from behind and then got hit by another sled, but I'd soon learn that I was in fact landed on.

9d5ad4aa27a6dc9abe58c0abc9ccf776.jpg

fc984f494f40815ecc9d7c21f83779cc.jpg

As I tried to gather myself up, I realized that my arm was bleeding and I waited for help from the medical staff. At this point, I want to thank the FXR Mobile Medical Team and the Grand Geneva Ski Patrol for taking care of me after the incident. We are so fortunate to have these professionals at the races and they provided the best care I could have asked for afterwards. Fortunately, my trip to the ER went better than expected and while I had to receive 7 stitches due to a stud cutting open my arm, we learned that there was no other damage to my arm in terms of broken bones.

I would eventually make it back to the track for Saturday night's finals and all of Sunday's races, but the season was done for me and I was forced to sit out the last two finals.

I've had a lot of time to reflect on not only the crash, but also the 2018-2019 season. I remember at this point last year I was contemplating giving up the sport of snocross due to injury and in my mind, poor results that failed to meet my expectations. Fast forward one year and I'm wrapping up my most successful and fun season in my 19 years of racing, already looking forward to Duluth in November. This crash was a definite bummer, but I am determined to come back from it. As we all know, things happen with racing that are just out of our control. Much like we did with the mechanical issues this last weekend, we persevere and overcome them, which is exactly what I plan to do now.

54f41dcef2aef362259dd5705d803b1a.jpg

Wrapping up, I want to extend a sincere thank you to the people that made this incredible season a reality, starting with my fellow Dootalk members. We share a passion for snowmobiling and I am so grateful to have come across this supportive community of Ski Doo riders and racers. On top of that, Pit Grunt was instrumental in getting this program going again and I really see it gaining momentum. To the members that donated via Paypal or purchased team shirts or hoodies that Matt Marquis of 4M Graphix printed up, thank you as well. All of that helped to get Jared and I to the regional and national races this season and helped me to get replacement parts when we needed them most. Ken and Ed, you two have gone above and beyond and there is no way I could ever repay you for what you have done for me this season!

Beyond that, I have to give credit to my family, friends, and of course my long-time friend Jared. They are around me all year long, but really step up over the winter months to help me out. Jared has been working nonstop since the sled came in and he has done it all from running errands for fuel, parts, etc. to working on the sled to driving the truck and trailer while I slept in the passenger seat. There is no way I could do what I do without this guy helping me and any large team would be privileged to have him on board. I just hope he doesn't jump ship on me LOL.

Brian and Tom of Lakeland Powersports in Woodruff,WI-my heart goes out to you guys. These gentlemen reopened a dealership at the end of this past fall and even with all the craziness that goes into running a dealership, they were never to busy to lend me a hand and always checked in on how we were doing. They generously donated to help our cause, which made it possible for me to have Jared at all the races, participate in all of the national and regional races, and keep the sled running at top notch all season. If you are in the market for a new powersports vehicle, please give these folks a chance to earn your business. You will not find more passionate people than these two!

Greg, Kurt, and Matt from Goodwin Performance-I cannot say enough great things about these guys. They have supported me 100% and have taught Jared and I just about everything we know about working on snowmobiles. This year, they not only helped us get the 2019 race sled prepped right out of the crate, but they also gave us valuable insight as the months went by to keep it running as strong as it did on day 1. Kurt has been doing my shocks for years now and even with the crazy snow we had in the midwest, he never dropped the ball and always had the shocks freshened up.

Doug at Big Kid Powersports-thank you for always standing behind my brother and I. Doug primarily helps us out during the motocross season, but when it comes to getting some sled parts like the ODI grips or Stomp Grip pads, he is always there to help me out. He was my first legitimate sponsor years ago and has been on board ever since.

Nathan and Amanda at Fly Racing/WPS-thank you for continuing to help our team out with the best looking and performing helmets and jerseys out there. When the crash happened at Lake Geneva, I was wearing their older Fly F2 carbon helmet with MIPS and I can confidently say it did its job. I look forward to trying out their new F2 and Formula helmet this summer and next winter!

Tim and Chris at Carbide Savers-what an amazing group of people. They reached out to me via Facebook in January and agreed to help me out for the remainder of the 18-19 season. I finally got a chance to meet one of the owners, Chris, at the Michigan national and I can't stress how appreciative I am of these passionate guys coming on board to lend us a hand.

The Pattyn family and Stud Boy Traction-they have been behind me for many years now and truly make the best products in the snowmobile traction market. They are more than helpful when it comes to answering questions and supporting racers of all levels and that is why I will always run their products.

Ryan Jensen of Rox Speed FX-another long time supporter of ours. I can't tell you the number of times those new Pro Tec handguards saved my hands from the rain, snow, ice, and occasional rock that was thrown my way. Combine that with their running board traction products and you can't go wrong. Thank you Ryan for always stepping up to help us out and always answering my questions!

EVS Sports and Pod Active-these two companies are obviously near and dear to me considering the recent crash. EVS makes one heck of a protective vest and you might be shocked to heart that it is 100% in tact, even after getting landed on. As for Pod Active, I have struggled with knee problems since I first broke my knee cap back in 2009 and with how rough the tracks get nowadays with all of the rollers, knee braces are a necessity. Their K4 knee brace has been a staple in my gear back for several years now, but it looks like I will have to upgrade to their newer version that was recently released. With all the tech going into their braces with synthetic ligaments and all, you really can't go wrong.

Preston Cowing at Two7 Designs-graphics companies are everywhere now, but it is often difficult to find someone who takes the time to make sure the customer is well taken care of. I've always been very picky about how my gear and sled looks, so the fact that Preston was able to deal with me and give us one of the best looking sleds on the circuit goes to show that he knows what he is doing. He handles everything from motocross bikes to sleds to helmets so if you need a graphic kit or wrap, be sure to give him a look. You won't be disappointed.

Carey, Eric, and everyone else at Ski-Doo-thank you guys for stepping up the race program to a whole new level this season. Not only did they deliver with one of the fastest, best handling, and fun to ride race sleds in history, they always remained approachable and were never more than an email, phone call, or text away. The Doo teams worked together better than ever this season and I credit a lot of that to Carey stepping in as the new race coordinator. I can't wait to be a part of this team again for 2020!

If you've gotten to this point, congratulations as that was surely my longest post this season haha in all seriousness, thank you for taking the time to read this post in its entirety. I'll be letting my arm heal up for a few more days, but once I get the stitches out, I have one more drawing to take care of! In the meantime, I encourage all of you to leave some feedback on things that we did this season, be it the race recaps, product posts, or giveaways. I'm always looking to improve and would love to get a good jump on getting things set up and prepared for next season.

As always, thank you guys!!!

Brian Petersen

·
"The Podiatrist"
4,071 Posts
Congrats on your season Brian, and most importantly that the fun/passion factor seems resurrected from reading your post.

Great job thanking the people around you that it takes to doo what you doo !
It's been fun for me routing for you during the year, and hearing some of your stories, particularly all the behind the scenes stuff.

Best of luck to you, heal up quick and stay in touch with us here.

·
Scuttle Buttin' Solo
73,428 Posts
Yes great read Brian.... thanks for it all and all the excitement through the season.... glad you're coming back (you are coming back aren't you) IF you can swing another year....I hope you don't carry the idea you let yourself down, because I'm sure you haven't let any of us down one bit...

Be safe during the off season an we'll look forward to more from you.... don't let the pressure get to you with our expectations.... just do what you do...hopefully you'll pop in every now an again just for poops an giggles.....

·
2nd Whore in command
102,141 Posts
Great write up!! As it was said, great to hear that the season was a fun enjoyable experience again for you, that's a big factor in any sport.
Great to hear there will be a 2020 season for you and I hope Dootalk will be there backing you again!! It does make it more fun to have someone to root for!!

Cheers to a enjoyable off season as I'm sure you need it ????

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
Thank you for all of the kind words guys. One thing is for sure, this season was one I'll never forget. It definitely reminded me how much fun racing can be and I have no doubt we'll carry it into next season.

It's been about two weeks since I checked in, as I took a little time away from everything to get healed up. The good news is I'm pretty close to 100% now and we're almost ready to have our last giveaway of the 2018-2019 season. I'll post the winner tomorrow night!

·
SkiDoo Guru
19,308 Posts
Thank you for all of the kind words guys. One thing is for sure, this season was one I'll never forget. It definitely reminded me how much fun racing can be and I have no doubt we'll carry it into next season.

It's been about two weeks since I checked in, as I took a little time away from everything to get healed up. The good news is I'm pretty close to 100% now and we're almost ready to have our last giveaway of the 2018-2019 season. I'll post the winner tomorrow night!

Glad all's good .Have a great summer and stay in touch .

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
Glad all's good .Have a great summer and stay in touch .
Thank you, Ken! You can count on it. I will definitely try to be more active here on the forum this offseason.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
View attachment 1867091

The final winner for the 2018-2019 season is Ed aka Bark-A-Lounger! Ed, I'll shoot you a message tomorrow night after work with the list of prizes to choose from.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you all for donating to help my effort this season. We certainly had our best season in terms of results and fun, and I can confidently say that Dootalk contributed a great deal towards that. I'm already looking forward to next season with all of you in our corner!

261 - 273 of 273 Posts