16,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here bowls? In a league or just regularly for open bowling

Here's what I'm rolling currently

14lb Brunswick Blue Ringer
15lb Brunswick Gold Rhino Pro(remake)
Elite Triton shoes
fa018e8aaa0f1a3e9a2f44eb8379a2d1.jpg

Avg tonight for 4 games was 174.5, house lanes.

Also have a 15lb AMF Cobra SE and just sold a 16lb Columbia300 U2.

I don't bowl in any leagues. Still once a week, sometimes 2.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I've been bowling almost all of my life.

Currently throwing a Brunswick NeXus and Versa-Max.

Threw my first 300 with the NeXus a few years ago. I refurbished the NeXus about a month ago and have been shooting very well with it. My last 3 game series was a 639. Two series before that was 716 and 640.

I've been averaging right around 190 this year, but that is obviously climbing now.

ball.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Bowling last night was rough. 190-224-189 = 603.

Lanes were dry from the first game on and I don't have a ball that handles dry very well. 224 had at least 3 brooklyns in it.

I know the scores don't reflect the tough shot, but I had a lot of luck on my side.

·
old ski-dool
3,313 Posts
Cant help but think of the movie King-Pin. :roll

Bill Murry with wicked comb over.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I enjoyed the "bowling" movies, but they did more to drive people away from the sport than they did to help the sport. Still wondering why they call the Big Lebowski a bowling movie. Not really about it, just location where they talk.

Bowling is a sport, however, it is a sport for all ages.

I've said it for a long time that if Pro athletes like Michael Jordon, Terrel Owens, and The Bus dedicated their careers to bowling instead of their respective sports, they'd be the greatest bowlers ever...and have a whole lot less money. :p

Jordon held a 208 average before his pro career in basketball. Owens has been bowling in the celebrity bowl thing every year and just gets better and better. And Bettis handles a 16 lb ball like it is a ping pong ball. Impressive to watch and you can just see that it would only take about a month of practice for any of these guys to bowl in the 230's very consistently.

The point is, that "athlete" is a term used loosely when talking about Pro-bowlers. Heck, many of them couldn't run 50 yards without talking a break.

But, I think it is a great sport and love the challenge of being accurate and consistent. New bowling balls are a "strike in a box" anymore. It only takes a little practice and you could be a consistent 150+ average and a bit more you can get up in the 180's and 190s.

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
The new balls are making them oil the lanes better/harder. You still have to bowl 3/4/5 times a week to hit your mark and release with consistency to build up your game. Not to mention picking up spares is where it's really at, I love a good challenge on a spare ball.

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seriously?!?!

Sent from area 69
To me?

I mean Id rather get a strike obviously, but I don't shy away from any spare. Picked up 1-7 and 1-3-7 on Tuesday exactly where I was aiming. Really isn't any spare I can't get at this point. 7-9, 7-10, 7-6 are a rare occurrence but those are ones that would prove to be very difficult I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Was a 205 capper at one point. Received the watch and the patches for 700 series. Never got the ring. That Rhino pro can take a beating. Years ago at a state tourney down in Bloomington-Normal, a buddy from my team was so fed up with his that he decided to bowl down the parking garage. We took turns for about a half hour bouncing that thing off the concrete wall. Once it started to chip it quickly came apart but many tosses lead up to that point.

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have 3 good gouges in her from Four Seasons Sports ball return, here in Sycamore. how the pearl is makes it kinda weak imo. I shoulda said something when it happened but oh well. If it was one of the $200 balls i would have. It still works lol

Im wanting to get another Blue Ringer in a 15lb and have it drilled more aggressive than this 14lb. It has really treated me well.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I brought one of my bowling balls home to clean it up and left it in the garage overnight. It was cool, but not cold in there, probably around 40 degrees where the ball was. Came out the next morning and the ball was split in two, right down the middle.

The ball was a Menace. Very hard hitting ball. Heavy 15 lbs (meaning, it was probably 15.5 lbs). It was definitely a oily lane ball though. No amount of polish could tame that thing down. One tournament I used it in all the other bowlers were checking it out because I was the only one throwing a big hook due to the heavy and long oil lanes. I was breaking about 12 boards when everyone else was between 3-5.

I'm looking to get a 14 lbs pearl & polished ball for dry lanes. Something I can keep the speed up on without much effort.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
I used to bowl a lot in college. Started off as a gym class for credits and turned into a fun time with buddies after homework was done. Used to run about a 140-150 average.

Had my own ball until new years of this year, (broke down the middle like AK's did) that was a storm. I'm a lefty so it is hard to go to an alley and find a good house ball.

Hurt my knee back in 2010- bowling actually. Twisted my knee bowling off of a raised lane and tore a meniscus in my right knee. Since then, it has never been the same. I bowled a few weeks ago for the first time since new years, it had been quite a while before that. My knee swells up and really gets stiff after about one game. I bowled 2 games a few weeks ago and could hardly walk after that. Combo of being out of shape and other things but it really made me sad. :(

I miss bowling quite a bit!

Steve

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just bought a Storm Punch Out off my buddy 10min ago. Gotta get it filled and redrilled. He never really got the hang of 3 finger throwing. He's going back to 2 finger and cranking a plastic ball, but he's gonna buy a new ball and not use house balls anymore.

I think I can throw the PunchOut pretty effectively from watching how it reacts for him and watching videos online. He was a 13mph roller and I'm up 15/16mph

1 - 20 of 105 Posts