Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Mod'n is my thing
6,288 Posts
Even Cat figured out how to make a better gage after the Yami Viper came out with the big digital readout.

Look at all the nice gages everyone else has....then look at your POS.

Did you see the 06 Yami gage...way nice.

Also, why can't Doo put on a rheostat controler for the friggin hand/thumb warmers so you can have something better than too cold and melt your gloves off.

Any one tried adding a rheostat to their controls?
Something has got to be done about this.

Also for me, the blue dimmer button hits my left thumb. I run the 440 controls just to avoid that monster switch cluster.

Sorry, just had to vent again.

Attachments

·
Mod'n is my thing
6,288 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
i kinda like the doo guages when in going faster all i have to doo is glance at the speed and rpm guages but i rode a sled with a didtal guage and you kinda have to stare at it for a sec. but i do hate the gas guage

I cant spell if any words are missed spelled

·
Registered
157 Posts
who looks at there gauges? all i need is a tack. you can add an electric fuel gauge if you need to but i would rather have a clear tank. the switches work fine for me. turn them on high or off with a simple move of the thumb.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Exactly! My 04 440 digital reading is like half an inch tall, and it has the red background. So I can never read it when I am going. Heck its hard to read when its sitting still, But then it goes to total miles agian though. I have never seen the yamaha guages up close, but in those pics they look real tits! I know AC has decent ones. Come on Doo lets get on it!

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
I think the controls, the fact that they are lighted and their location are the BEST!

But I agree the gauges suck! I had the first year viper and with that gauge the speedo actually became a useful tool...

Its odd too because on my sea-doo doo has added about every piece of info you could want: and they have been that way for YEARS!

the RXP has, analog and digital tach and speedo, clock, lake water temp, ambient air temp, avg. speed, highest speed, elapsed time, and much more! They could easily put it on the REV and have the best gauge in the business...

(but I would rather have the best chassis, and suspension than a great gauge!) seems like the other guys give you a great gauge and little else!

BTW - The cat Fx gauge is the nastiest looking gauge I have ever seen! (but it is still more functional than the rev's)

·
Registered
8 Posts
this year i started the season with an 05 rx-1 and i love how the digital guage was. after hitting a rock and blowing up the sled it was totalled. then i decided to get a rev. i love the digital guage on the rx but other than the electric fuel gauge i really don't miss it. however the new yami guage is sweet.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The gages are just fine. If you look at Ski-Doo's sleds and then look at the competition, Ski-Doo's sleds look the best. They have the best lines. They don't look cheap like they were just thrown together without thinking.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
[quote name='R32-X' date='Feb 10 2005, 05:01 AM']
The gages are just fine. If you look at Ski-Doo's sleds and then look at the competition, Ski-Doo's sleds look the best. They have the best lines. They don't look cheap like they were just thrown together without thinking.
[snapback]307247[/snapback]​
[/quot

I hope you were being sarcastic. If you ask me they havent been thinking too hard on the ones they use now.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I agree on a problem with the heater stuff, but it's not necessarily just the controls, but inconsistency. One time too hot, later too cold, while on same setting no less. Other than that, I'm no complaining about them too much. The gas guage is another story. Don't get me started on that POS spinning lite brite crap....
darn, you got me started...

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
I love the handlebar controls on the rev, much better than polaris( their heater controls are 3 stage but too small to feel with gloves on). No rehostat but who has time to fiddle with that anyway, its tough enough finding high and low when youre on the fly. The gauges are a bit sub par but I have to admit I dont look at them much either.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
The Gauges in my dads Stock 1955 Chevy are as advanced as the ones on my Rev. The only thing his lacks is the small digital read-out that you CAN'T READ anyway!

The first new style that i saw was on a 03 F7 and I liked it for its functional use, and it was super easy to read. Not saying it was great, but WAY better than the doo crap.

I don''t care about the handwarmers, because mine are either on HI or OFF.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I think the switch gear on Doo is by far the best in the industry. I am happy with the hand and thumbwarmer switches and the backlighting. The qauges could be better in the floowing ways: No more fogging, easier to read! This does not mean I want a gauge like Yami or Cats though! I very much perfer analog over digital gauges. Think about it this way, do high end cars use digital gauges? No, Do old Chevy Cavaliers use digital gauges? Yes. I would like to see better analog gauges but don't change the switch gear. Also, I don't want an elec. fuel gauge standard but I do want the type of gauge that we have to be made more accurate!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Wow....other than a couple of discerning responses, both positive and negative...this sounds like a thread filled with disgruntled 6th grade girls....

The Gas Gauge BLOWS! Only a retard doesn't know this and why doo hasn't stepped up to fix it?...shabby. Other than that...BOO HOOO.

Rheostat? Other than Yami....who offers it again? The warmers work. Period. A far cry from doos warmers in the past. Thank you Doo for keeping my hands WARM.

Analog gauges aren't good enough? SO....go buy a sled for the gauges then. The doos are easily read and do what they're suppose too. Look good and are fairly accurate in comparison to the others going across the lake....

Controls on the left bar? I've owned 9 new sleds since 1995 alone and ridden since 1968....I've never had more convienent or usable controls. BOO HOOO WAAA WAAAAAA. (Dimmer switch is a big problem?????) Pluuueeezzzeeeeee.....

I've had ZERO issues with my REV and it's the best sled I've ever owned. 3 Buddies with 04's & 05's....zero problems. We've got a dealer that: A. Knows set up B. Takes care of repeat customers, NOT PRICE SHOPPERS Just recently coverted "2" other riding buddies over to REV and the others that have ridden it, all had positives to say....only thing holding the rest of em from being converts is some ridiculous Brand Loyal Bias...
(my previous sled was an 02 srx...same dealer sells both, zero problems except those which were self-inflicted)

Go buy a Cat (recently rode and F7...rattlin junk pile that could barely get away from my stock 600 after 1/4 mile, Can you say OVERRATED?)
Yami....fourstrokes aren't just for Riding Lawn tractors anymore eh?
Or get a Poo....wannabe REV....and Have FUN.

By the way....all you with such horrible Customer Service Issues.....Find a decent dealer. If there isn't a good one within 100 miles that sells doo....go to an inferior brand with a good dealer then....you won't have any issues. It's the dealer and you're repore with em that matters. OH AND...if you just bought your first sled and cry and complain like I hear here....they'll prolly be glad you find a different brand and dealer....

Have a great day Ladies....

Good Gawd.....

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
The only time I look at the speedo is to make sure the temp light isn't on in thin conditions. At one point I was going to replace the speedo with a slp intake, but never got around to it. I do use the tach all the time though. Something like the new yammie guage would be pretty sweet.

·
Mod'n is my thing
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

For all you that can't keep an open mind....but you probably never rode nothing besides a Doo.

We all know that the REV is the best chassis around and that is undeniable.....however they are just like any other manufacturer....they have problems too.

Doo reads these forums and is a viable way for them to get feedback on marketing and engineering related issues.

Just because I like something and don't like something else doesn't mean you have to agree or disagree.....this is America.

Just put down your opinion without the name bashing and we'd have a better forum.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I like this thread. Offering up these sort of discussions are what make these newsgroups worthwhile in my opinion.

My responses are to the original RevBaron post.

I like the location of the controls. I'm an average rider who occasionally gets aggressive which is why I bought a non-X model. For me, the controls are fantastic with one exception (which we agree on). I think the RER needs to be moved from the hi\low switch! I don't have an issue with the handwarmers, but if they designed something better I wouldn't be against it. With that said, if I was an advanced\very aggressive rider with an X package or 440 Racer there is no way in hell I'd want those controls!!

I agree for the most part with the gauges. You can't read the digital display at night very well and I have to take my gloves off to use the toggle\reset switch on the odometer. I can read the traditional speedo and tach at night pretty easily. I like the tradional look better than the techno-Yamaha look...but I agree with the changes needed for usefulness.

The gas gauge issue cannot be argued by the other side. It sucks. It's not accurate and it looks like any old compass for cripe's sake! I'd rather have no gas gauge than an ugly one that doesn't work.

Good post!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts