Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working on my 94 Formula STX today (has electric start) and the cover slipped out of my hand and came down kinda hard. Now the electric start which always worked fine no longer works. Doesn't click, hum or anything. Totally dead. Battery is fully charged.

It has a seperate button for the electric start, it was wired to bypass the key start apparently. There's a red wire coming off battery direct to starter, and another red wire that goes from the battery to a fuse (which is fine) to a terminal on the electric start button. The other terminal on the electric start button goes to red/green wire which judging by wire diagram goes direct to the starter.

Seems to me the only thing between the starter and the battery is the electric start button, yes? I turn the key to the on position, and press the elec start button and nothing happens. Any ideas? Is it safe to run a wire direct from the red on battery to the red/green wire (bypassing electric start button) to test and see if the starter kicks in?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Your method of checking would work fine. If you have a volt meter you could check for voltage at the starter when you push the starter button too.

If the starter doesn't work when you test it use a battery jumper cable and connect it between the battery negative terminal and the starter body then try testing the starter again. This will check for a good ground.

There should be 12 V. available on the starter solenoid heavy wire from the positive terminal on the battery. This can be checked with a volt meter or a test light by checking between the battery cable connection and the starter body.

Report back when you have done the testing.

Lynn

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I'd just short the two wires at the back of the button and see if that works. Could be the button itself.

Like it has been said, you can measure the voltage there at the button too. One of the two leads should read 12 Volt. The other nothing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help! I tested the starter by wiring around the switch and it fired up so it looks like I'll be good after a switch swap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts