Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Sunday I had a electrical issue at my house and I was out in my garage when my wife came out and said something smells weird . I came in walked down the hall towards the bedrooms following the smell. I opened our bedroom door to find smoke. We pulled the bed away from the wall to find the plug in strip melting away and about to catch on fire. As I tended to this I asked my 15 yr old son to check the other rooms. He opened my daughters room and yelled FIRE! I jumped up and yelled for him to get the fire extinguishers from my truck. I ran and got the one in the hall closet. I yelled for my daughter to call 911. Once I went into the room I saw flames abot three feet tall coming from the bed. I took a deep breath and went in blasting the fire with the extinguisher . The smoke got so bad in a matter of seconds I had to open the window for fresh air so I could breath. I finished off the one extinguisher and was yelling for my son because the fire started up again. Finally he got me two more from my work truck and I was able to put out the fire. My point is PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ATLEAST TWO FIRE EXTINGUISHERS IN YOUR HOUSE. things happen so fast and being prepared is a huge plus. After 15 minutes the fire company arrived. I figure without being able to put it out myself at the very least 1/2 of my house would be lost. Also check your fire alarms, mine did not go off and we tested them while the fire dept was there. I don't know why they did not go off so I will be replacing them. All is ok and no one got hurt but this is a HUGE wakeup call about what can go wrong and how fast things happen.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
WOW! that is shocky! sorry to hear that a fire cought.. I will certainly tell my dad to get another one for our house..we only have a small one ATM..

Thanks this shure makes me think alot

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
One in the garage, one in the kitchen, one in the laundry room, one in the furnace room,one in the "other building/shop" one in the camper, one smaller one in each vehicle. ALL are ABC.
Learned my lesson YEARS ago after adjusting the rockers on my 69 Pontiac IN THE GARAGE no less. Hot oil and hot headers equal FIRE.
Also make sure EACH bedroom has a smoke alarm hardwired with battery back up.
We have six smoke alarms and two carbon monoxide detectors in the house.
Guess I'm anal on these issues

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Glad to hear that no one was hurt and you had extinguishers available.

I'm in a little different circumstance as I have adult foster care homes. We have to have extinguishers in the house. They are checked and service each year. Here is what we have to do per the states requirements. They might be useful to some. We have to have one on each level of the house and it's best to have them by the stairwell or entrance. Keep them free and clear of clutter as you never know when you might need them. Those few seconds having to move stuff to get them could make a big difference. Our houses are hard wired so that all smoke detectors and heat sensors are connected to the circuit box. We have a control panel to monitor with back up batteries that so are checked yearly. The batteries are replaced every three years no matter what (again state rules). We have monthly fire drills and have a designated meet area that is away from the house. In our case it's just across the street.

Having a fire is something that nobody wants to go though. Most fires happen at night. We have to have 1 fire drill during the night every quarter. I know it's hard sometimes to it, but if it means everyone gets out safely, it's well worth it.

Always check your extinguishers, make a point of monthly of bi-monthly. For smoke alarms, check the batteries monthly no exceptions. Have fire drills on a regular basis and have a place for all to meet.

Patmann brings up a good point also of carbon monoxide detectors in the house. We have one of these on each level (basement, 1st floor, and 2nd floor) of the house also.

The best thing anyone can do is to get all smoke alarms hardwired, as you could have a fire in one part of the house and not even know it, especially at night when everyone is sleeping.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Automatic fire sprinklers are the way to go!
All new foster care facilities and assisted living facilities now are required to have this before a license can be issued. If I was build a new home for the family, I would definitely consider do this. One thing for sure, I would have hard wired detectors in each room.

·
E-Tec Rules
33,781 Posts
don't have one at home but got one at camp for wood-stove.

·
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.....
1,570 Posts
I was changing spark plugs in a Ford 4.6L. The fuel rail needs to be loosened on the driver's side to get at the last one, #8. Well, I changed the plug and thought I had the fuel rail back on the injectors, properly. As it turned out, the rail was leaking at injector #8 AND I had a leaky plug wire on #7. As a result, the truck immediately caught fire when I went to start it. If I hadn't had an extinguisher close by, the truck may have burnt to the ground. There ended up being very little damage.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
I had one in the house, but I put it in the snowmobile trailer. It seemed like it was the best place.

After reading this: I will be replacing the one I removed, it was a little on the small side for a house anyways.

Glad everything turned out okay for you.

·
#11 Red Killer Bee Ski-Doo
1,069 Posts
I was in the Fire protection Business for 17 Years before this College Maint. Tech. Job .
I have More Extinguishers than most poeple and gave all my buds some too. I have seen it all and would suggest getting enough of them. They empty out fast and 1 is not enough to have on hand. Also make sure you have working Smoke AND Carbon Monoxide Detectors on Each level of the Home. During my customer training sessions I used to doo, I would always tell them.
Have these 3 things : Fire Extinguishers, Smoke Detectors, and an Escape Plan and Meeting Place.
Oh , and if you teach your children anything make it be Fire Safety !

·
Registered
319 Posts
I am not a fireman, but I wonder if opening the window was a mistake. At that point you had extinguished the fire and while there was a lot of smoke in the room, there wasn't enough oxygen to restart the fire. Letting fresh air in probably reignited the fire.

I have three fire extinguishers in the house, plus a device to throw in the wood stove to put the fire out. Can't be careful enough.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
The rental I just moved into had 3 on our second floor, where all 5 bedrooms are.

As an electrician, this is why its become code every bedroom, outside every bedroom, every floor, and in the mechanical room we're required to have smoke detectors hardwired with battery backup. I heard the new code book is saying now they all must also be carbon monoxide detectors. Which they make them as part of the smoke detector so no more work for us, just little higher price tag on each unit.

Needless to say, I like the idea of all these smoke detectors (6-10 smoke detectors sometimes).

Glad to hear you are ok and you caught it just in time. Sounds like even 10 seconds later and you wouldn't have been posting from your house

Would make sure to listen to what caused the electrical fire and have it overhauled. If it was too much plugged into one circuit need to rectify that. Currently (and for a few years now) all bedrooms are on separate circuits. 2 bedrooms can be on one circuit, and master bedroom is by itself. If this is the case, ask about getting arc fault breakers put in. They are expensive breakers can be a life saver. They are so sensitive if you turn the light switch off and touch the hot and neutral together, even with NO power there, it trips the arch fault. I think I even had one trip on me when the wires were between my fingers and not touching. It prevents the arc (hence arc fault) where a breaker wont. You can pop the wires together, they will splash in your face, and that's when its enough to trip. But that small heat building arching that starts melting wires wont trip a breaker.

This picture is a house we got called too by the lady. PShe had a circuit working intermittently and I trashed the problem to an outlet. Soon as I pulled the cover plate I knew there was a problem. The screws on the side of the plug were nearly black. I pulled the plug out and I found this wire nut. The one on the left is the one melting from all the heat, the one on the right is what it is suppose to look like. Pulled it off and one wire wasn't quit wrapped around with the others. It's tip was just to the exposed copper of the other 2 wires in the junction. This was arching, causing enough heat to see what you have in this picture. This was before arc fault breakers and obviously, if there is a problem and power is still getting fed, the consequence is heat build up. Eventually leading to failure which unfortunately means fire more often than not.

But again, this is for bedrooms. Arc faults are sensitive enough they can trip with just the use of a vacuum. The arc electrical motors do (just look inside the vents of a power drill when you hit the trigger) can trip the arc fault. Good chance by the sounds of it, the arc fault(s) would have tripped and prevented the melting. Since it was melting, power was still feeding the bad area causing it to keep heating up.

Sorry if I'm a bit winded, tired and thinking off the top of my head. I've been apprenticing few years now so I'm not a know it all but tossing ideas to protect your family. Like I mentioned, ask your electrician about installing Arc faults. Hopefully he will have some good input for you. Some may hate them because they can nuisance trip and try to recommend not installing them, but if its bedrooms only (infrequent motor use like no fridge, microwaves, blow dryers, etc) its good idea.

·
Registered
77 Posts
excellent job.being a fireman for 18 yrs now we promote that every house hold should have at least 2 fire extinguishers.the more that better.also replace your batteries twice a year when you change the time on the clocks.for the 15 min response time my dept has a six minute response time from when the call is toned out to when someone is on scene and we have a popultion of 35k.great job and stay safe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts