Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we're thinking of going up this weekend for our first ride of the season.

·
Monosodium Glutamate
2,663 Posts
Hey GSXY,

The conditions are poor. I can forward you the local "trail" link if you don't have it. I called the person we rent our cabin from, located in Russell Cove, he said don't bother. Rain expected tomorrow and Friday before it gets back down to single digits. It was almost 40 today in Rangely. Unheard of for this time of year.

Sorry to be the one to tell you.

·
Monosodium Glutamate
2,663 Posts
There's some riding in Jackman, out of town, and some WAY up north in the county. That's it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MSGME said:
There's some riding in Jackman, out of town, and some WAY up north in the county. That's it.
[snapback]718748[/snapback]​
Thanks buddy!

·
I'm disinclined to acquiesce your request.
36,411 Posts
gsxy said:

[snapback]718680[/snapback]​
I would look into Pittston Farm.They are farther north,right on the Canadian border.Took about 10 hrs from CT but it was worth the trip.They usually have more snow than most.Call them before you go,they'll give you up to the minute conditions.We stayed in the lodge dormitory style for 85 bucks a night which includes 3 meals and all the snacks you can eat.There are condo style cabins with their own bathrooms for 90 bucks,meals included.They have gas on site,the lodge is cozy with a couple of fireplaces and a big screen tv in the livingroom.Well worth the trip and price.Call them 207-280-0000 and talk to JennyO.....

ps If you do go ride out toward Saboomic and hit the Carrey Brook trail,right after the windy whoop filled 2 mile trail run you can crank down a beautiful straight trail for @ 11 miles,I mean CRANK!!!!

·
Monosodium Glutamate
2,663 Posts
BAMMER said:
gsxy said:

I would look into Pittston Farm.They are farther north,right on the Canadian border.Took about 10 hrs from CT but it was worth the trip.They usually have more snow than most.Call them before you go,they'll give you up to the minute conditions.We stayed in the lodge dormitory style for 85 bucks a night which includes 3 meals and all the snacks you can eat.There are condo style cabins with their own bathrooms for 90 bucks,meals included.They have gas on site,the lodge is cozy with a couple of fireplaces and a big screen tv in the livingroom.Well worth the trip and price.Call them 207-280-0000 and talk to JennyO.....

ps If you do go ride out toward Saboomic and hit the Carrey Brook trail,right after the windy whoop filled 2 mile trail run you can crank down a beautiful straight trail for @ 11 miles,I mean CRANK!!!!

[snapback]719047[/snapback]​
Thats a great ride!! I was up there three weeks ago. The Jackman area (Pittsman Farms, NE Carry, Rockwood, so on) are still reporting that you can ride. We usally stay in Jackman and ride from there. The trails in and out of jackman are in rough shape though.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
gsxy said:

I get a weekly report from sledme.com, it's helpful. Here's what they have to say for this week:

"Monday, February 13, 2006
It hardly seems fair, but inland Maine received no snow in yesterday's storm. The best snowmobiling may be in New York City's Central Park. The forecast calls for snowshowers tomorrow but no accumulation. Thanks to the cold weather, we have been able to maintain our base.
Katahdin Region (Millincoket) Cold weather has dried out and solidified the base. Open and flowing water is quickly disappearing. ITS 86 and the Grant Brook Road from Millinocket Lake to Penobscot Pond has been groomed. There is a good flat base with decent riding. The trails around Jo Mary/B Pond were also groomed. With 5-6 inches of snow, the crews can gear up for a full grooming schedule.

Kineo Region (Rockwood) A solid 10" base with 3" of packed snow on top. ITS 88 to Jackman and toward Greenville (East Outlet) has been groomed and in good shape. Route 66 to Jackman and Kokadjo is groomed and in good shape. The Moosehead Trail to Pittston Farm is groomed and good. The Moosehead crossing from Rockwood to Kineo is open and flagged. Stay on the marked trail at all times and to be safe, check with the locals before crossing.

Kennebec Region (The Forks and Bingham) Trail system South of The Forks is not passable. There is more snow further north. These sections were groomed: The Dead River Trail to ITS 89. ITS 89 south to Spencer Stream Bridge, (No through trail to Eustis available), ITS 89 north over Coburn Mtn to the Spencer Road; Shutdown Loop Club Trail; North Road Trail; ITS 87 north to ITS 88, Parlin Pond Connector. Keep the speed down and ride with caution."

I'm not sure what these couple warm days have done to the trails in Maine but we plan on riding between NH and Maine this weekend too. Maybe we'll see you there! Have fun.

·
Monosodium Glutamate
2,663 Posts
Here's the latest from the Rangeley site. Not promising.

More warm temperatures this week and rain forecasted Friday will further thin the already marginal conditions. Very cold weekend temperatures are due after the rain, so expect a lot of icing. The snow dance continues.

Expect poor riding with very limited conditions, especially around town. We continue to try to groom out what little snow there is, and the riding improves somewhat outside of Oquossoc towards the NH border. Be careful of washouts and obstacles that still exist.

John

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again guys, what a lousy year.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DooNH said:
gsxy said:

I get a weekly report from sledme.com, it's helpful. Here's what they have to say for this week:

It hardly seems fair, but inland Maine received no snow in yesterday's storm. The best snowmobiling may be in New York City's Central Park. The forecast calls for snowshowers tomorrow but no accumulation. Thanks to the cold weather, we have been able to maintain our base.
Katahdin Region (Millincoket) Cold weather has dried out and solidified the base. Open and flowing water is quickly disappearing. ITS 86 and the Grant Brook Road from Millinocket Lake to Penobscot Pond has been groomed. There is a good flat base with decent riding. The trails around Jo Mary/B Pond were also groomed. With 5-6 inches of snow, the crews can gear up for a full grooming schedule.

Kineo Region (Rockwood) A solid 10" base with 3" of packed snow on top. ITS 88 to Jackman and toward Greenville (East Outlet) has been groomed and in good shape. Route 66 to Jackman and Kokadjo is groomed and in good shape. The Moosehead Trail to Pittston Farm is groomed and good. The Moosehead crossing from Rockwood to Kineo is open and flagged. Stay on the marked trail at all times and to be safe, check with the locals before crossing.

Kennebec Region (The Forks and Bingham) Trail system South of The Forks is not passable. There is more snow further north. These sections were groomed: The Dead River Trail to ITS 89. ITS 89 south to Spencer Stream Bridge, (No through trail to Eustis available), ITS 89 north over Coburn Mtn to the Spencer Road; Shutdown Loop Club Trail; North Road Trail; ITS 87 north to ITS 88, Parlin Pond Connector. Keep the speed down and ride with caution."

I'm not sure what these couple warm days have done to the trails in Maine but we plan on riding between NH and Maine this weekend too. Maybe we'll see you there! Have fun.

[snapback]719228[/snapback]​
Where are you planning on going? I'm on the ME/NH border.

·
I'm disinclined to acquiesce your request.
36,411 Posts
gsxy said:
Thanks again guys, what a lousy year.

[snapback]719303[/snapback]​
Yeah,one of the Maine club's web site writers says he has only seen this type of year once in 56 years of riding....

Keep

·
Monosodium Glutamate
2,663 Posts
gsxy said:
DooNH said:
gsxy said:

[snapback]719228[/snapback]​
Where are you planning on going? I'm on the ME/NH border.
[snapback]719308[/snapback]​
I'm with GSXY.... can we ride in NH? If so I'm in. Maybe we can a group together.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
MSGME said:
I'm with GSXY.... can we ride in NH? If so I'm in. Maybe we can a group together.
[snapback]719321[/snapback]​
Definitely riding in NH. I think our plan is to stay in Colebrook and head towards Maine. This will be the first time I've registered in Maine and I'm looking forward to trying some new trails. There'll be three of us headed up Friday night. I can post more details when I find out what the official plan is.

·
Monosodium Glutamate
2,663 Posts
DooNH said:
MSGME said:
Definitely riding in NH. I think our plan is to stay in Colebrook and head towards Maine. This will be the first time I've registered in Maine and I'm looking forward to trying some new trails. There'll be three of us headed up Friday night. I can post more details when I find out what the official plan is.

[snapback]719401[/snapback]​
Are there any restrictions for "out of staters" to ride in NH. Do you need to have insurance, have to register, anything like that?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MSGME said:
DooNH said:
MSGME said:

[snapback]719401[/snapback]​
Are there any restrictions for "out of staters" to ride in NH. Do you need to have insurance, have to register, anything like that?
[snapback]719412[/snapback]​
No insurance requirements in NH or ME. In ME you can get a 3 day reg. for around $35. I'm not sure if NH has a 3 day but I think they do.

·
Monosodium Glutamate
2,663 Posts
I say we try to arrange something and go for it. Let me know where, when, and if your going and maybe we can meet up. I wouldn't be able to leave ME until Saturday morning.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Rode 130 miles yesterday, left from the BEauceville clubhouse and back. SNowed all day. Glad I bought the Quebec pass this year.

At 3 oclock it was 46 degrees in Jackman according to the truck thermometer. Water everywhere and the snow was a melting. Head north of the border. It's definitely worth it this year.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
MSGME said:
[snapback]719412[/snapback]​
Oh, you do need to be registered in NH but you don't need insurance. I've never been checked in NH for registration, although I have one, but my dad visiting from NY got nailed while gassing up. They made him join a club in addition to paying the fine too. I have been given a warning in Maine before so I'm registering there this weekend as well. I'm not sure how much either registration is for out of staters. Also, have you guys heard that the high for this Sat (Colebrook) is -1!!

·
Monosodium Glutamate
2,663 Posts
Ya, the weather is an absolute mess.

Listen to this temp. swing: High for tomorrow: 55 deg with rain, Low for tomorrow: 15 deg. A 40 deg temp. swing.

The pattern this year is that it warms up when precip. is coming, then cools down once it passes. Very weird.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts