Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the trouble i'm having, and it seem's that I'm the only one
I'm wondering if it's a problem that comes with milage.
My dealer got another one this weekend with exactly the same problem
2000 miles on it

So who has miles?
Who rides in an area that they can run the sled with the E-Raves open for long pulls 2-3 miles at a wack?

Thanks
Early

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
I can do this at times but only have 1500 miles on mine now. Please do tell what do I have to look forward too????????????????

spike

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you run a muffler or a can?

Castor muffler or can?

Thanks
Early

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
Castor and myself run stock cans. Castor lives in North Bay and rides northern Ontario and Quebec logging miles like you do a year. Last I spoke with him 2 weeks ago before he went away he had over 2500 miles with zero problems. Just tried to call him and he is still away. I am sure he will have over 5000 by now.

What is happening to your sled?????

Spike

·
Registered
213 Posts
Early Rider said:
2000 miles on it

So who has miles?
Who rides in an area that they can run the sled with the E-Raves open for long pulls 2-3 miles at a wack?

Thanks
Early
[snapback]702887[/snapback]​
what's the problem. john

·
Registered
496 Posts
MachZ333 said:
Early Rider said:
2000 miles on it

So who has miles?

Thanks
Early
[snapback]702887[/snapback]​
what's the problem. john
[snapback]703211[/snapback]​
I'm at 1700 miles, no probs.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Read 06 gade on fire

Thanks
Early

·
Registered
213 Posts
Early Rider said:
Read 06 gade on fire

Thanks
Early
[snapback]703539[/snapback]​
ya i read that. do you mean you haven't got it back from the dealer yet or you are still having problems with it. since i got the cold start update done my 06 seems to perform as well as my 05. it was a snail before. john

·
Registered
831 Posts
mine has 1200 miles on it.... all updates done including cold start and valve cables checked. Was shooting fireballs outa the exhaust outa the weekend, idler wheels on the right of sled are all sut and black.... dealer doesn't have a clue and scratching their head.... might as well scratch my balls. I'm done w/ this POS. It sucks so bad in the bumps I almost get killed. My 89 Citation was better in the bumps than this pig.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I love mine, I had the updates and the cables done... I have 750 miles on it and am running a streightline perf can with the probe..
Last weekend I did some 1.5 to 2 mile runs at WOT and no problem..
With the rave cables set up properly they open at 6800 rpm. 1000 rpm powerband.
I do have some discoloring on the side panel, but no different than my 800 rev..
This machine when setup correctly will leave a powertec 800 x and a pro x poo in the bumps..
I know some people have had some problems and I feel for you. I have a great dealer and I do alot of reserch before doing anything.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Tracks,
I know my cables must not have been set right..... so it's going in for a 3rd time. I agree the discoloration of thte side panel in normal..... put it shouldn't make the rear idlers black!!!

As far as your comment, the mach Zx will leave the Power teck or prox in the bumps..... NO WAY. I've tried every setting and the 06 Mach Zx SUCKS in the bumps.... stutter bumps it's ok but thats it. Don't come over a knoll too fast and get off the ground or you'll be in trouble. If there is something I'm missing that can make my sled handle better in the bumps please let me know because currently I'm scared to ride hard in the bumps cuz I almost got killed twice in the past few weeks. NO GOOD. I could hammer an bump w/ my pro x. I know the mach isn't a bump sled, but I should be a lot better than it is. so, again if I'm missing something please let me know.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got back twice already and its worse now than ever, if i wasn't very careful and aware of the condition of the sled it would have caught fire again several times.

I'm a milage guy, not a i can go faster than you guy

I could care less who is faster or slower than me. Because in the trail its skill not HP that puts in front

I care about ride, range, and reliablity.

Also the dealers that are in the area's that i ride in, I don't care what it says on the side panel THEY ALL WILL HAVE PROBLEMS WHEN YOU RIDE 15,000 MILES A YEAR.

I set up my sleds to suit me and the riding that i do most- touring, However i like performance sleds i like the pull of HP

I run the stock muffler.

Early

·
Registered
2 Posts
Early Rider said:
I got back twice already and its worse now than ever, if i wasn't very careful and aware of the condition of the sled it would have caught fire again several times.

I'm a milage guy, not a i can go faster than you guy

I could care less who is faster or slower than me. Because in the trail its skill not HP that puts in front

I care about ride, range, and reliablity.

Also the dealers that are in the area's that i ride in, I don't care what it says on the side panel THEY ALL WILL HAVE PROBLEMS WHEN YOU RIDE 15,000 MILES A YEAR.

I set up my sleds to suit me and the riding that i do most- touring, However i like performance sleds i like the pull of HP

I run the stock muffler.

Early
[snapback]704560[/snapback]​

·
Registered
2 Posts
Early;

I have been reading your posts for quite some time now. I wanted to wait until I had a few miles on my sled before I jumped the gun. The first day on my Renegade I was experiencing the sled going into rich mode. I contacted the dealer and they instructed me that I was due to the coolant update that needed to be done. He also explained that the 10 hr chip needed to be burned out. The first time this happened I was crossing a field at about 160 km/h. That's about 100mph for you south of the border. The sled fell flat on its face. I also noticed lots of carbon on the side panel by the muffler. I understand a little is normal, but when the right side of my sled has more black than yellow, I think there is a problem. So, I took it into the dealers, the did the coolant update, the first service, installed the new cold start mapping and told me that I should run hotter plugs. I can't remember the #, but it was one stage higher than the stock plugs, they said this should take care of the carbon.

Next trip I was going across the lake in North Bay, about 1 minute at 7200 RPM, the sled went into rich mode again. All weekend the same thing at more than 7000 RPM for more than one minute it would fall on its face. Also top end is terrible. My buddies 800 walks all over my sled at any speed. Back to the dealer.

They adjusted my E-rave cables, said they were not opening enough, which would dump the fuel into the exhaust, and cause the sensor to detect the heat in the muffler and in turn the sensor would put it into rich mode. The also installed heavier pins in primary and set clicker in main at 5.

Back up North this week end. Second day check engine light comes on and flashes for most of the day. Sled is black as night again on right side, fuel milage is terrible and rich mode most of the week end. Clutch set up seems to be working much better, but can't really tell because it goes into rich mode any time I get up around 7000 RPM's for any lenght of time.

My riding style seems to be similar to yours. I like to go fast, but not all day. Trail riding is what it's all about, but when I get on the lake I also want to be the first on across. I have always had Polaris' in the past. Got rid of my 800 XCR to try the yellow team for a while. Not having much luck so far. I realize the renegade will not go as fast as the Mach, but I should be able to get more than 105 mph out of it. What kind of top speed are you, or anyone else for that matter getting out of your renegades?
I am up to about 1700 km's on sled so far. Season has just begun up hear and I should be ending the season with about 7000k. Hopefully the rest will be trouble free.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Early: Is the other sled with the same problem at your dealer also a Renegade? If so, why the Renegade and not the Mach? Maybe I shouldn't read into it because the Renegade guys may be more likely to put more miles on.
Are there any ECU or software differences between the two?

·
Registered
831 Posts
how can you guys tell if it goes into limp mode? does the engine light come on? My 06 mach zx is pretty black too. However, in the past 860 miles my light never came on or beeped. Dealer probably disabled it cuz I was driving them nuts.

·
Registered
258 Posts
SLOWRICHGADE said:
Early;

I have been reading your posts for quite some time now. I wanted to wait until I had a few miles on my sled before I jumped the gun. The first day on my Renegade I was experiencing the sled going into rich mode. I contacted the dealer and they instructed me that I was due to the coolant update that needed to be done. He also explained that the 10 hr chip needed to be burned out. The first time this happened I was crossing a field at about 160 km/h. That's about 100mph for you south of the border. The sled fell flat on its face. I also noticed lots of carbon on the side panel by the muffler. I understand a little is normal, but when the right side of my sled has more black than yellow, I think there is a problem. So, I took it into the dealers, the did the coolant update, the first service, installed the new cold start mapping and told me that I should run hotter plugs. I can't remember the #, but it was one stage higher than the stock plugs, they said this should take care of the carbon.

Next trip I was going across the lake in North Bay, about 1 minute at 7200 RPM, the sled went into rich mode again. All weekend the same thing at more than 7000 RPM for more than one minute it would fall on its face. Also top end is terrible. My buddies 800 walks all over my sled at any speed. Back to the dealer.

They adjusted my E-rave cables, said they were not opening enough, which would dump the fuel into the exhaust, and cause the sensor to detect the heat in the muffler and in turn the sensor would put it into rich mode. The also installed heavier pins in primary and set clicker in main at 5.

Back up North this week end. Second day check engine light comes on and flashes for most of the day. Sled is black as night again on right side, fuel milage is terrible and rich mode most of the week end. Clutch set up seems to be working much better, but can't really tell because it goes into rich mode any time I get up around 7000 RPM's for any lenght of time.

My riding style seems to be similar to yours. I like to go fast, but not all day. Trail riding is what it's all about, but when I get on the lake I also want to be the first on across. I have always had Polaris' in the past. Got rid of my 800 XCR to try the yellow team for a while. Not having much luck so far. I realize the renegade will not go as fast as the Mach, but I should be able to get more than 105 mph out of it. What kind of top speed are you, or anyone else for that matter getting out of your renegades?
I am up to about 1700 km's on sled so far. Season has just begun up hear and I should be ending the season with about 7000k. Hopefully the rest will be trouble free.
[snapback]706348[/snapback]​
I have an 05 Mach with a very similar problem, on long runs with the raves open it will post the engine temp light (not check engine light?) and shut down to an idle, let it idle for approx 1 minute and light goes out and it will go again. Engine temp gauge reads low so I am speculating it is the EGT sensor posting the error. It won't fail if I run with the raves closed (under 7k RPM). I have also noticed the plugs are trending white so it is probably a genuine lean condition vs just a bad EGT sensor. My dealer has not heard of this
problem??

BTW, what is "rich mode", is that a shut down or just lower RPM's because it goes into safe mode?

·
Registered
95 Posts
"RICH MODE", OR "PROTECTION MODE" IS WHEN THE EXHAUST TEMP SENSOR READS THAT THE SLED IT TOO HOT, IT RETARDS THE TIMING AND RUNS THE SLED RICH(MORE FUEL THAN NORMAL) TO KEEP THE SLED FROM BURNING A PISTON OR OTHER DAMAGE CAUSED BY EXCESS HEAT. MY RENEGADE DOES THE EXACT SAME THING AND IS IN THE SHOP RIGHT NOW. YOU CAN TELL WHEN IT DOES THIS BECAUSE IT FEELS LIKE THE SLED JUST DIES. KIND OF LIKE SOMEONE PULLED OFF ONE OF YOUR SPARK PLUG WIRES. MY DEALER ALSO THINKS THIS IS A RAVE CABLE SETTING PROBLEM. I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN I HEAR FROM HIM. IF THE SLED IS RUNNING TOO RICH, THIS EXPLAINS THE EXCESS BLACK BUILD UP AROUND THE MUFFLER PORT.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts