Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a xp-2008 600sdi with 9 grate years of service .never changed the coolant .the book shows 3700 miles or 2-3 years. no easy way I can see I would guess pull the clamp at h2o pump and let it dump . also not sure if I have to purge the air out .

·
Registered
425 Posts
You'd have to purge the air out after refilling to get the heat exchangers full. I've never changed the coolant in my 2009 800r or my 96 formula Z 583. . . It's up to you, I just make sure they're topped off and have no leaks

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Without starting a lengthy debate.... I'll agree that antifreeze will breakdown/wear out BUT....I would have no problem leaving the original antifreeze. I've had vehicles and power sports that are older that what you describing and never changed the antifreeze out. I can't imagine you'll have any issues.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I did this once- Get yourself a 1 gal container, a 3/8" to 1/2" O.D. x 5 ft length of flexible hose, and a shop vac. In the container cut two holes in the top or along the top side to insert the hose & Shop vac nozzle. Put the hose all the way to the bottom of the container, and the shop vac nozzle just slightly through it's hole, to the top. Uncap the coolant reservoir, and use the tubing to suck out the coolant with your shop vac. The coolant will collect inside your milk jug. You will be surprised how much it will suck out, if you snake the hose deep into the sled hoses. it will probably get more than 75% out, and the best part-- NO MESS!

( I'm sure to get some wise cracks on this pic)

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
I know I would feel better. My wifes sled is an 04 that to my knowledge has never had the coolant serviced, and has sat for the last three years. To me, its worth the peace of mind knowing that it has been serviced. Plus, Im doing a motor swap on it, so what better a time. :righton

·
Elite Member
845 Posts
Get yourself a coolant tester from autozone. They are cheap. Test it and see how good it is. If it's -30 -40F I'd say good to go.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you all that replied .I did pull out a qt. with a fld. sucker and I have a real good coolant tester from work I set for -34f will never see colder here.i would hate to drain it and get a air bound and then over heat and damage it or if the clamp strips and leaks down the trail.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
It's not hard at all to purge the air out. I've done 4 complete engine rebuilds on the 800R's. Jack the front end up and pour it in slowly. Nothing to it.

·
Registered
709 Posts
It's not the freeze protection, it's the ph/electrolisis. Coolant will turn acidic over time
^^this^^

And getting the air out is simple. I just left it on my trailer and tilted the trailer to raise the front end. Or you could park on a snow bank. Let it run and the air will bleed itself out.

Reactions: IcutMetl

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just drained my coolant. 2011 mxz x. It has the green coolant in it. 95% sure I have removed all of the old coolant. It it ok to put the newer Orange coloured fluid in or should I stick to the green?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts