Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the snowmobile thing. My uncle gave me a 1980 everest 500 that didnt run. After I replaced the fuel line in the tank, and it could finally get some fuel to the carb it took off. But now the clutch will not engaging all the way. I was told the spring may be broke. The sled sat for about 2 years before he gave it to me. But it ran strong and fast just a couple day ago. Now when its floored it only does about 20 mph. Do you have to have a cluth puller? Or can I get away with using something else. I would appreciate any kind of help or comments. Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It sounds to me like the problem could be a buildup of belt rubber . I don"t know for sure if the clutch is similar to the Blizzard, but it might be. Once the bolt in the orange part (the bell) is removed try placing your hands at the 9 and 3 o"clock pos on the lip of the outer pulley and push the clutch as if it were engaging and let it go. Sometimes this will cause the bell to "pop" off . Once the bell is off, make sure the inside is cleaned of all black residue. Use a brake cleaner. Obviously look for any signs of wear. I don"t know if this is your problem, but if I didn"t clean the blizzards clutch yearly it would act the same as you"ve described. It wouldn" pull the hat off your head!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
blizzardboy said:
It sounds to me like the problem could be a buildup of belt rubber . I don"t know for sure if the clutch is similar to the Blizzard, but it might be. Once the bolt in the orange part (the bell) is removed try placing your hands at the 9 and 3 o"clock pos on the lip of the outer pulley and push the clutch as if it were engaging and let it go. Sometimes this will cause the bell to "pop" off . Once the bell is off, make sure the inside is cleaned of all black residue. Use a brake cleaner. Obviously look for any signs of wear. I don"t know if this is your problem, but if I didn"t clean the blizzards clutch yearly it would act the same as you"ve described. It wouldn" pull the hat off your head!!
[snapback]267160[/snapback]​
Thank you, I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i think its more likely engine isnt get all the way up the rpms than the clutching. take the carb off and clean thouroughly, all the little holes and passages and everything, new plugs, make sure gap is right. the wrong plugs will kill the performance of this sled, i had my plgs gapped wrong and it wouldnt go over 25-30mph and didnt have much torque, set em right, its a sweet machine

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
everest500 said:
i think its more likely engine isnt get all the way up the rpms than the clutching. take the carb off and clean thouroughly, all the little holes and passages and everything, new plugs, make sure gap is right. the wrong plugs will kill the performance of this sled, i had my plgs gapped wrong and it wouldnt go over 25-30mph and didnt have much torque, set em right, its a sweet machine
[snapback]310578[/snapback]​
What is the correct gap for the plugs?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts