Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just looked up a new 07 Gade 800 X US price = $10299.00. The Canadian dollar is presently at .88/US and is supposed to keep climbing throughout the year as the Canadian economy is very strong.

If you doo a straight conversion it should cost $11691.40 Canadian...But NO doo's Canadian price on the same sled = $13200.00 *%@

This sled is build right here in Canada and they charge us darn near $2000.00 extra.

If I lived anywhere near the US border I'd be trailering down there to buy a new sled.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
FrozenGade said:
I just looked up a new 07 Gade 800 X US price = $10299.00. The Canadian dollar is presently at .88/US and is supposed to keep climbing throughout the year as the Canadian economy is very strong.

If you doo a straight conversion it should cost $11691.40 Canadian...But NO doo's Canadian price on the same sled = $13200.00 *%@

This sled is build right here in Canada and they charge us darn near $2000.00 extra.

If I lived anywhere near the US border I'd be trailering down there to buy a new sled.
[snapback]748535[/snapback]​
*%@ is right!!! If I ever get enough coin to buy new I will keep that in mind!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've been thinking the same thing, I'm just not sure if a US dealer will sell to you if they know you're bringing it back to Canada. I'm going to look into it...I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Doo Rider
3,170 Posts
also would there be any issues with warranty work being done up here in canada on a new sled from the US??

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
yes dealers here in the us will ship sleds to you, i think your warrenty will be void, but if you can get it here back to the state i hear that they can warrenty them, and right now some of the dealers are blowing them out cheap

·
RIP Old 600
2,646 Posts
Why are all the sleds so expensive is what i want to know!!

Andrew

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
yeah some of the price are as much as a NEW CAR!!!!!!!! now what we need to do is bring these down, buy your new sleds now and do not buy any for a few years so the feel the pinch and lower the prices

·
Registered
700 Posts
if you bring a sled back to canada,would you not have to pay duty on it?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I live on the border and know for a fact that US dealers I surveyed will NOT sell an NEW sled to a Canadian. They will sell used only, each of them said they risk losing their dealership.

ps No Duty, only Tax

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Assuming all dealers US or Canadian pay the same price on the sleds, does this mean that the Canadian dealers make more $ on a new sled??? Or do the Canadian dealers simply have more room to deal on the sleds.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
poo sucks said:
yeah some of the price are as much as a NEW CAR!!!!!!!! now what we need to do is bring these down, buy your new sleds now and do not buy any for a few years so the feel the pinch and lower the prices
[snapback]748817[/snapback]​
Economies of scale... generally more cars are built of a certain model then sleds therefore there is a much larger base to recoup the tooling costs.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ski Doo does not like cross border sales.No warrenty in other country,and penalty to dealer if caught.One cannadian dealer was pulling names from phone book for warrenty regestration.
Rich

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
doo rider said:
also would there be any issues with warranty work being done up here in canada on a new sled from the US??
[snapback]748798[/snapback]​
Warranty is good throughout North America - directly from BRP. I went through this late in 2005.

mattie

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The thing that "edit for bad language" me off is who the hell is BRP to tell me where I can and can't spend my money!!!! It is my fn money and if they don't want my $10,000 then I'll take it else where.

They did this to the Canadian dealers when the money was the other way and it was in favour of Americans buying here due to the dollar. So much for Free Trade.

I don't think I'll ever buy a new sled again because of the price of them but if I do I shopuld be able to buy where I want. I'd rather support my local dealer and BRP should be make the price a little more even between the countries.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
163 Posts
Rhubarb said:
The thing that "edit for bad language" me off is who the hell is BRP to tell me where I can and can't spend my money!!!! It is my fn money and if they don't want my $10,000 then I'll take it else where.

They did this to the Canadian dealers when the money was the other way and it was in favour of Americans buying here due to the dollar. So much for Free Trade.

I don't think I'll ever buy a new sled again because of the price of them but if I do I shopuld be able to buy where I want. I'd rather support my local dealer and BRP should be make the price a little more even between the countries.

Just my $.02
[snapback]749081[/snapback]​
As a side note, I checked cross border with pol and cat as well as doo, same deal, no sale of new sled to a canadian period

·
Registered
527 Posts
I bought a used sled from canada and brought back to USA no custom problems, I even called them and asked all questions ahead of time. they even stopped me and talked about sale. You will not have a problem from canada to usa. YOU MUST HAVE A RECEIPT. if you guys need help give me a PM and I will check with my local dealer for available sleds, I would help (gas $$$) is all i need, i can meet you at usa / sault ste marie, michigan OR sault ste marie, canada if you need help... joev

·
planes take off against the wind
15,035 Posts
SOmeone will have to provide the warrentee work - but what dealer is going to put you first if you bought somewhere else?

Dealers do risk loosing thier francise since (it goes both ways) dealers on the side loosing sales (market territories) will object. So BRP (as with anyother multinational corp) will have wording to prohibit sales outside of the countries in which the dealers are located...

How to get around it? Have a foriegn address....

·
Registered
132 Posts
A dealer in Northern NY told me they are allowed to sell to Canadians as long as they don't solicit (advertise) in Canada. So if a Canadian walks in to a US dealer there's nothing stopping the dealer from selling them a sled.

This dealer was selling a 2006 MXZ Adrenaline for 5595 US. There is no tax charged since the sled is going to Canada. You will be charged GST and a $209 import tax at the customs. PST is then payed when the vehicle is registered. Here's the breakdown of the cost to bring this sled into Canada.

5595 * 1.1775 = 6588.11 CDN
6588.11 * 0.07 = 461.17 GST
6588.11 * 0.08 = 527.05 PST (Ontario)
209.00 Import fee

Grand Total = 7785.33 MXZ Adrenaline imported from US

Now compare this to a price I received from a local dealer of $8300 on an MXZ TRAIL before tax.

8300 * 0.07 = 581.00 GST
8300 * 0.08 = 664.00 PST (Ontario)

Grand Total = 9545.00 MXZ TRAIL from local CDN dealer

That would be over $2000 difference if comparing Adrenaline to Adrenaline. How can BRP justify this?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.