Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through the on-line microfiche at the cooling systems of various models of Doos and it appears that after 98 none of the liquid cooled motors have a thermostat. Is this true?

I also noticed that the most of the motors have an extra coolant path like my 98 that creates a direct coolant loop from the bottle, through the motor and back to the bottle. In other words the coolant path is like a figure eight with the "intersection" at the fitting where a thermostat would normally go. What would be the reason for this (I thought it was only sled with a thermostat that had this extra path)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
XcellR8 said:
I was looking through the on-line microfiche at the cooling systems of various models of Doos and it appears that after 98 none of the liquid cooled motors have a thermostat. Is this true?

I also noticed that the most of the motors have an extra coolant path like my 98 that creates a direct coolant loop from the bottle, through the motor and back to the bottle. In other words the coolant path is like a figure eight with the "intersection" at the fitting where a thermostat would normally go. What would be the reason for this (I thought it was only sled with a thermostat that had this extra path)?
[snapback]708394[/snapback]​

·
Registered
5 Posts
XcellR8 said:

-------------------------------
Yes, had a 2003 MXZ 700 last year and the thermostat needle actually snapped and had to be replaced, so assume the new sleds still have them. Thermostats are now located in the carb throttle body.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sledder DL said:
XcellR8 said:

[snapback]708402[/snapback]​

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sledder DL said:
XcellR8 said:

-------------------------------
Yes, had a 2003 MXZ 700 last year and the thermostat needle actually snapped and had to be replaced, so assume the new sleds still have them. Thermostats are now located in the carb throttle body.
[snapback]708404[/snapback]​
I don't understand how the cooling system has anything to do with the carbs. I looked up a 2003 MXZ and the micro-fiche does not show any kind of thermostat in the carb throttle body. What part of the carb are you calling a thermostat?

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
machz123 said:
The MXZ's thermostat is on the back side of the head on the underneath. I believe your Mach through the 03' did not have a thermostat, but use a sensor instead.
[snapback]708715[/snapback]​
The micro-fiche shows no thermostat after 98 for the twins or triple (I didn't check every model but the ones I did randomly check do not show one). The housing etc. is there, just no thermostat to control the flow.

I'm going to install the thermostat from my 98Z in my 99, I'm just trying to decide if the extra hose that goes from the coolant bottle to the bottom of the thermostat housing is needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts