Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding for like 10 years now and I feel like i should Know this but i was just wondering who exactly would be a "Ditchbanger" I see that term get tossed around on DooTalk alot...any info would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Ya i log 100% of my miles in ditches hittin(Bangin) banks. It the best way to ride in my opinion. It can take an hour to travel 5 miles in the ditches if you have fun on all the banks. There are banks 9-12 feet tall and most straight up and of course we have to try an climb everyone of them which is why it takes so long to get somewhere. So if you do more than 50% of your riding in Ditches bangin all the banks then i would say your a ditchbanger.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
10-4 on that buddy. Here in Iowa that is all we do. I think there might be around 20 whole miles of trails here in iowa. And those 20 miles are not connected to each other. Ok I dont know for sure how many miles. But around my part of the state I only know of about 12 miles. And I have never heard of too much more in the state. So yes we ride ditches. In my opinion it makes you a better rider. Your working your butt off just trying to make it to the next driveway basically. The hardest part is what we call "Hangers." Its when the snow blows from the field into the ditch and makes drifts that are next to impossible to ride. Cause they are very close together and are very deep. The only way to ride is either up on top of them by the fence, which can suck cause the top might get too thin and you ride into the fence or try and ride a hanger down and climbe out on the road. And the hangers are pointed on top. Not smooth. Sometimes if it blows right they are awesome to ride up, if the ditch is set right. All in all it does take awhile to get somewhere when you are ditchbanging. And you always count on a few guys getting stuck! One hanger might be soft and the next might be solid. You just never know. haha

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
fella's you ride in a ditch at all, its ditch bangin. Jumpen culverts and the banks is the best of it all. Everyone has to love a little air every driveway or so.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
boondocker01 said:
People who ride in ditches , In the great plains like MN all the snow blows across the fields and into the ditches so thats where thay ride

[snapback]285486[/snapback]​
Someone should post a glossary of sled jargon..
Here's some that appear here all the time:

Boondocking
WOT
Sidehilling

feel free to add your own...

·
Registered
511 Posts
its actually hard for people to understand what our ditches look like here in Iowa. where im from in the northwest corner the land is completely 100% flat. each 1 mile there is an intersection from another mile. so mile to mile you are coming out of one ditch, crossing the road and back down in the other ditch. in NW iowa we have exact 1 x 1 mile squares called "sections". because its so flat the snow blows into the ditches, filling them and thats where we ride.

i wanna know what boondocking means if anyone can answer that. also great post!!!!
Brett

·
Registered
39 Posts
Every state is broken up into Sections thats how property gets divided up. You're right that in the sticks most roads follow the Section lines and one township is 6 miles by 6 miles and contains 36 sections and one section is 640 acres. I don't know why I went into this but I just thought ya might like to know.

·
REV XP Nut
1,248 Posts
"Boondocking" Riding out in the boondocks, out in the middle of nowhere, cross country, off trail, in the fields, out in the weeds, dodging the trees, jumping the stumps, weaving out in the willows, All the above is best done in A$$ deep snow,
we don't have that this year

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Yeah Brett we have the exact same ditches here in NE central Iowa. But the best riding is along highway 20. I am sure you know where that is. Well as you probably know you cannot ride along interstate highways. Well 20 is not an interstate. It is a divided highway!
Oh my god the on and off ramps are crazy to ride in. LOL My brother lives 2 miles from it so sometimes in the middle of the night we will just jump the highways into the ditches that are just full of powder! Its a blast.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.