Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ventured out on to these lakes? I am on Fairy lake and the Ice has not been good as of the last time I was up two weekends ago. Looking to go for first safe ride.....possibly to Dwight then on the trails. Sled has cobwebs on it!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
we rode South Portage to Dwight this past Saturday, there was two big pressure cracks or Ice heaves, although they aren't that high but they were little wide with some water seeping through. I would imagine after the cold the cracks will all be froze over but have an eye out for them. We didn't run the big part down to Doset but I would imagine someone local will chime in with what it is like.

·
ride hard or die trying
7,800 Posts
Ive been on the big part from Dwight to baysville 2 weeks ago there was about 5 pressure cracks 1.5 feet high.

I didn't see a single ice hut and wouldn't recommend it

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Has anybody ventured out on to these lakes? I am on Fairy lake and the Ice has not been good as of the last time I was up two weekends ago. Looking to go for first safe ride.....possibly to Dwight then on the trails. Sled has cobwebs on it!!
My understanding as of today the Huntsville club were testing the ice and were going to start staking the local Huntsville club lakes today or tomorrow.

·
OCD Sledhead
8,598 Posts
When you say Fairy lake was not "good", do you mean you measured the thickness?

Mary Lake froze later then Penn and Fairy, and it has at least 8" in the places I measured thickness. Measuring where you ride is the only true way to know before you go IMO.

I rode 2 weeks ago with Wileo and last weekend with Cobber, and it has not been cold since then...but this weekend and tomorrow will finally be some serious cold.

Been hoping HGR opens up so we can get over to the green trails from my lake this weekend, im guessing we will be running LOB from dorset to dwight or baysville by sunday, but NOT STOPPING out there.

77/78 on ASC off pen lake will be going green likely tomorrow, and I also heard back from DYW saying they hope to get some trails limited for this weekend too. It would be nice to have something open up from DYW to get us up to the seguin.

Either way, bring the hand muffs minus 24c sat and minus 30c overnight is gonna feel tough after all this mild.

Dan

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I measured at about 20m intervals from the small channel to antler island 4" black ice 4" white and a bunch of slush, but that was two weeks ago before the rain on Sunday.

·
OCD Sledhead
8,598 Posts
Yes I measured at about 20m intervals from the small channel to antler island 4" black ice 4" white and a bunch of slush, but that was two weeks ago before the rain on Sunday.
Sounds pretty much on parr with my lake...

If you are a long time lake rider, and know the rivers well...we just dont stop out there and yak. lol

Also, you want to remember belts in good working order as you dont want break down.

Dan

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya totally agree with you on that. I know the rivers good on the lake and if in doubt I generally stay away. Trying to teach my boys the same logic "if in doubt don't go" guess that is good advice for a lot of things in life young men need to know.... Lol

·
ride hard or die trying
7,800 Posts
I'll most likly be back on LOB this weekend from baysville up as the trails are going to get pounded and there is a lot of logging form baysville to Dorset

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Things look good. I'm told 60% of Huntsville trails are now open a number of the lakes are staked or in the process. On the snow front we picked up close to 40 cm in the Baysville area.
Going to be very busy, it's been a constant stream of snowmobile trailers coming into Baysville. Early morning trail riding with LOB home.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I spoke with a local on Friday at south portage marine, he said there was 8-10" of ice in that bay. They had a plowed drag strip that I ran up and down few times.

Lots of tracks yesterday. I ran from Dwight beach to south portage. No issues, No slush.
After these cold temperatures yesterday and today it should just be getting better. However, always go where u know. Use at your own risk. Be safe!

·
OCD Sledhead
8,598 Posts
Im heading out now...will be running LOB from my shortcut down to Dorset,then raven,kushog ect to ox narrows.....and likely back from Dorset to south portage, Ive been out from south portage to dwight beach twice earlier this winter aleady...snow is deeper on lakes now, less worries of the small pressure cracks from what ive seen in mary lake here.

Will post tonight on my findings....the d101b closure from dwight to dorset really screwed up our planned "stick the the trail" ride this weekend as the temps are brutal and did not really feel like lake running in minus 25c.

Dan

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Heading out soon as well, Fairy to Penn....LOB to Dwight to see if there are drags today, should be a cold run

1 - 20 of 27 Posts