Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
101 - 120 of 148 Posts

· Registered
555 Posts
My 19 expedition sport is black inside the tank if I remember correctly.
Expédition sport isn't really an Expedition, it's a 16-wide that has Expedition on the cab 😂. IDK what the 2019 was, but all the G4 sleds that have the circlip retainer to hold it to the tank, have white pumps. These are the ones that are having the problem we are discussing. It can happen with black pumps, but they don't have the inherent problem

· Registered
55 Posts
Thats on my 2020 Expedition LE.

Next step is to skip the in tank sock filter; I would like to put one of those brass in tank filter screens on the clear line laying in the bottom of the tank instead. Hopefully its not as fine and won't plug up. I just want it there to prevent any bigger chunks from going through the pump. I'll let you know how it goes.

· Registered
1,826 Posts
Is that a gel in the screen? If so then it probably is phase separated ethanol and water.

BTW, just some info: Those clamps are NOT designed for high pressure injection system fuel. So if this is located after the intank fuel pump, then I would urge you to use clamps for FI pressures. Like these:

Similarly, IDK of any clear plastic fuel filter like that that is designed to withstand FI system pressures, only metal cased ones. And there is specific FI system fuel hose. So beware... you may be setting your self up for blowout. Not wanting you to not do this external filtering, but just use parts rated for the fuel pressure in this application.

The fuel pump likely has a pre-screen built in so if you put a coarse sock in place, then that filter may clog. The pump can only take so much particle size, depending on design.

· Registered
7,460 Posts
Not high pressure clamps & those plastic filters is not recommended for high pressure also

· Registered
55 Posts
I appreciate your words of caution! I am aware that this system has a certain 'pressure', though I don't know what it is. I assume around 40psi. I am also aware that neither this plastic filter nor the spring clamps are specifically designed for this pressurized system. And I have been traveling with a spare steel filter, oetiker clamps and pliers. How-ever, so far the clear filter and spring clamps worked for me, 100%. I am also well aware of the risk of harming the fuel pump by skipping the sock; how-ever it is easy to see that the sock is not stopping the black stuff! Also, bombardier is charging me 55$ for each little filter sock. I can buy a genisis fuel pump for around 100$. Either way I have to pull the tank. I would just really really like to find away around having to pull the tank to change the feeble little sock filter that is being plugged by this mysterious black material.

· Registered
55 Posts
I chose to use the clear filter so I can see how fast it turns black. Also, I run 3 different outboards, 4 Honda generators, 4 vehicles, a number of chainsaws, and several other snow machines, plus a couple atvs. I have no fuel related troubles with any of my other equipment.

· Registered
1,826 Posts
Good deal. I have been down the road before on this conundrum.. having 40-50 psi of fuel pressure and needing a filter but wanting a view of the filter element. The ones I have found that can handle the pressure, and are clear, are all glass types; I have not wanted the potential glass breakage issue. So I have always stuck with metal cased filters for FI systems that are designed for the pressures.

And I wanted others viewing this to know what is what for safety in terms of filters, clamps, and fuel hose.

Agreed about the sock; that is the hard nut to crack. The only thing I can think of is to sneak 2 more lines out of the tank to to an external filter like you show to replace the fuel sock. It would take some experimenting to make sure this did not cause fuel pickup problems.

We are dealing with a lot finer filtering needs than typical small engine stuff. The turbine fuel pumps are quiet and efficient but are the most sensitive to fine trash, so that drives the sock mesh size. Then the injection system requirements are driving the inline filter requirements.

I will guess that BRP is taking the recommendations of the pump mfr for the sock mesh size. But water and phase separated ethanol will go through the mesh; I'll bet that the gel that you caught in the strainer was only a part of what was in the fuel/tank.

· Registered
7,460 Posts
I appreciate your words of caution! I am aware that this system has a certain 'pressure', though I don't know what it is. I assume around 40psi. I am also aware that neither this plastic filter nor the spring clamps are specifically designed for this pressurized system. And I have been traveling with a spare steel filter, oetiker clamps and pliers. How-ever, so far the clear filter and spring clamps worked for me, 100%. I am also well aware of the risk of harming the fuel pump by skipping the sock; how-ever it is easy to see that the sock is not stopping the black stuff! Also, bombardier is charging me 55$ for each little filter sock. I can buy a genisis fuel pump for around 100$. Either way I have to pull the tank. I would just really really like to find away around having to pull the tank to change the feeble little sock filter that is being plugged by this mysterious black material.
The 600 & 900 ace fuel pressure to the injectors is 58 psi

· Registered
1,031 Posts

· Registered
555 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about the clamps, though I might double them up. However I'd be terrified of a plastic filter, if it bursts it's an instant fire and total loss of the sled. But I gotta say, it's pretty shocking to see how fast it turned black.

· Registered
7,460 Posts
Does the pickup tube inside the tank not have a screen similar than the one I have on my 1200?

The gen4 WB doesn't have that screen filter no, even if it did it would not solve the blackened sock "problem"

· Registered
1,826 Posts
That ought to work as a course screen IMHO, but very probably won't filter out fine stuff as said above. I have to wonder how the fuel pumps are different in the older models. I would expect that the newer pumps are driving the use of the sock.

Or maybe BRP thought they wold make things better with the finer sock filter but inadvertently caused a new problem.

101 - 120 of 148 Posts