Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 summit sport 600.

was running fine and just quit like you pulled the tether,

when I pull the plugs and attach jumpers to ground so i am not relying on weight holding them to the heads and pull the rope, I get what I would say is about 30% of a normal spark, second pull about 20%, third pull about 10%, fourth pull no spark. Leave it sit for a couple hours and get the same result.

I have a running 2002 summit 800, both are manual start RER machines. Swapped out the MPEM modules with no change. I tried swapping tethers, no change, I swapped coils, no change. 800 always works fine with 600 parts. Checked DESS module, tests ok. Kill switch tests ok.

ANY ideas would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Possibly a bad wire for either ground or power supply to the coil. It isn't supplying enough power to the coil to be able to ramp the voltage up to make a good spark is what it kinda sounds like. Check all your plug connections on the harness too. You might wanna try to find a service manual with the diagrams and test procedures in it. It should tell you how to test your pickup coil under the flywheel. If the pickup is bad it can mess up the spark as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Crispyt15. There is no ground on the coil which I fine odd but it may be done via the MPEM. I do have a service manual but the probe local section is strange and there is no legend for their cryptic description. I was hoping to avoid flywheel removal but I will do that tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
27,910 Posts
Perhaps you fair better with a later Shop Manual like the 2005.

·
Premium Member
27,910 Posts
I'll bet your stator is bad, sure sounds like the culprit. And don't trust results from testing either, I've had bad stators test good in the past. IMO, there isn't a fail safe stator test.
I think that you are referring to the Shop Manual tests which doesn't work for many problems, however it should be ideal for this particular situation. Across the various DooTalk forums we have found all the testing procedures required to troubleshoot a faulty stator. It's a large forum.

·
Premium Member
27,910 Posts
Below is an excerpt from BRP Troubleshooting Guideline. It looks nearly identical to what everyone has been suggesting to check.

Check for erratic sparks.
- Poor electrical connections. Repair.
- Faulty stator. Replace defective parts.

·
Premium Member
27,910 Posts
If you can give me the wire configuration out of the stator with each plug and the different wire colors, then I can show how to test the stator.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
If you can give me the wire configuration out of the stator with each plug and the different wire colors, then I can show how to test the stator.
Results are in OHM's which I find unreliable in determining output to coils. You may have some signal that will be within spec but that doesn't always mean you'll have adiquate signal output.

I've checked brand new stators that have failed on the ignition side yet the sled will fire right up.

That's my experience anyway.

·
Premium Member
27,910 Posts
Results are in OHM's which I find unreliable in determining output to coils. You may have some signal that will be within spec but that doesn't always mean you'll have adiquate signal output.

I've checked brand new stators that have failed on the ignition side yet the sled will fire right up.

That's my experience anyway.
I prefer to measure Vac. In some cases I will wire a car headlights as a load.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. Will get to it tomorrow. Will report finds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tested everything again. Compared the two machines and all test results are the same with exception of the high voltage coil. However if I swap the coil, the 800 runs with 600 coil, but 600 doesn't with the 800 coil. I'm ready for a fowl tasting weiner roast.

·
Premium Member
27,910 Posts
Sounds like not enough juice is being produced to power the ignition coil. While there is a way to test the stator and connections, if this is too much of an inconvenience then that leaves changing the stator like Gaboon implied. Personally I find it easier to test the electrical, but I do understand that it can be intimidating. Perhaps the fowl tasting weiner roast will serve as encouragement :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
must be pick up coil ass'y part# 410 922 940 i help a friend change that pick-up the spark came back, u don't need to remove the magneto, but kinda hard to remove the wire.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like not enough juice is being produced to power the ignition coil. While there is a way to test the stator and connections, if this is too much of an inconvenience then that leaves changing the stator like Gaboon implied. Personally I find it easier to test the electrical, but I do understand that it can be intimidating. Perhaps the fowl tasting weiner roast will serve as encouragement :)
Well lay it on me. I would far rather test than spend $500.00 on a new one. I don't believe it would intimidate. I did the tests from the service manual. Both machines test identical with resistance and AC voltage.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Well lay it on me. I would far rather test than spend $500.00 on a new one. I don't believe it would intimidate. I did the tests from the service manual. Both machines test identical with resistance and AC voltage.
coil pick-up on e-bay for 44.00 bucks

·
Registered
16 Posts
must be pick up coil "edit for bad language"'y part# 410 922 940 i help a friend change that pick-up the spark came back, u don't need to remove the magneto, but kinda hard to remove the wire.
Please explain. This part only takes over after the reverse button is pushed. Is out of the system below 1000 rpm and above 3500.

As soon as the engine has been shut off, it automatically uses the forward rotation trigger coil.

This is the reverse trigger coil

410 922 940 Pick-up (RER) ............................... Capteur. (RER) ................................ 1 1 1

·
Registered
648 Posts
Please explain. This part only takes over after the reverse button is pushed. Is out of the system below 1000 rpm and above 3500.

As soon as the engine has been shut off, it automatically uses the forward rotation trigger coil.

This is the reverse trigger coil

410 922 940 Pick-up (RER) ............................... Capteur. (RER) ................................ 1 1 1
This was more for example just to let you know what i'm talking about. i saw one on e-bay with both pick-up ( ski-doo 600 coil pick-up).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Reactions: Jusipi
1 - 20 of 25 Posts