Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,

My 07' 600 Blizzard SDI recently got totaled out so I'm in the market for another sled. I've been doing a lot of research and I'm hoping to get some thoughts from the doo community on what might make more sense for my next purchase.

I'm a 215lb 6'2 guy that rides 85% Trail and 15% off trail. A lot of riding near the Gaylord area. I'm looking to get into a long track 137. There is a 2015 Renegade Sport CARB 600 with electric & reverse BRAND NEW for 6700 + tax. Then I found a 2012 Ski Doo BackCountry X 800 E-TEC with a nice looking track & studded for $6900 with about 3000 miles on it. So basically they are the same price in my book. I'm torn on whether to get the 600 CARB Renegade with the comfort of knowing I have a brand new machine, but then settle for basic suspension in fairly entry level model. OR get the used sled with 3k miles on it with a bigger e-tec engine and better suspension.

I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions on this. I'm also going under the assumption of the owner that the 2012 is of course running up to par with no issues. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
323 Posts
i guess you would have to determine what is most important to you and your type of riding. I own a Rene sport 2015 and love it. I do mostly trail riding. It does everything i ask it to do. I don't need an 800 for that. That being said i just came off an Apex (a few of them since 2006). The apex was faster, but the 600 carb isn't a slouch. Keeps up with everyone til 65 mph. i highly recommend it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I understand your dilemma... to me these are very different machines... I rode a MXZ 500ss which is a 600 carb for 4 years and switched to a Freeride 137 this winter which is a bit like the backcountry X. of course it's a notch (if not 2 or 3) above...

If you trail ride I think I would stick with the 600carb and the peacefull mind the warranty will give you... very reliable engine!

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm not ripping on the 600 carb at all but at 6'2" and 215 I think you will be disappointed with the power. However on the 2012 does it have the R-Motion rear suspension? Also you are looking at an XP body. For $6,900 I would think you could probably get a '13 or '14. It is an X package so you are getting better shocks.i would maybe shop around a little longer. Dealers should have plenty of leftovers. I would try and find a 600HO etech but that's just me and my opinion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 2012 does not have the R-motion suspension, just the upgraded shocks. I've been riding my 600 SDI and have no complaints about the power. I've been very happy with riding a 600 and don't feel by any means that I "need" the power of the 800. I understand the 600 CARB might be a few horsepower less than the SDI, but it's not a deal breaker by any means.

I have been searching like crazy on craigslist for used machines, so yes I'm still keeping my options open and searching. It sounds like a few people are more apt to going brand new with the 600 CARB. Keep the opinions coming I greatly appreciate it!!

The warranty on the 2015 is for one year. I also have an option for a 2016 Renegade Sport 600 CARB for 7200 with a 3 year warranty. Identical machines--literally.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
For you, I'd say get the 800, ride it for a year and then spend some money getting the engine professionally freshened up. That money would otherwise be spent updating shocks on the sport.
For me, I'm not power hungry, but all about reliability and warranty because I ride alone, Sport.

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
Will you keep this sled ten years like you did your previous sled? Can you swing an extra grand for some good shocks? Ian at Monster Performance gets some great used shocks in at times. I would opt for the sport and put better shocks on it. That 600 carb is still one of BRP's best motors. Knowing you don't need to go 110mph, the 600 will treat you well. If you get the X you should still freshen up all the shocks.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Man those are two totally different machines. If there's a part of you that thinks that the 600 Sport won't leave you wanting for more power, I'd say get the new sled. I've spent quite a bit of time on 500SS and 600 carb sleds and they're great for the market niche they fit. The 800 is just a totally different animal. I have my own reasons for buying the 800 and it does what I want it to do. A 600 carb wouldn't fit the bill for me but as I said, I ride with plenty of them and they have to be included in any discussion of what sled offers the best bang for the buck out there right now. $6700 is a good price but not great for a brand new leftover. On the other hand, unless you wreck it or put 10,000 miles on it in two years, they hold their value amazingly well. Plus, as others have said, that motor is by far Ski Doos most proven and durable power plant. Rock solid.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I am in a similar boat so I feel your pain. ... but with a summit sport or a few year old etec.

Do you get a new carb sled for 8 w/ warranty or a fuel injected sled with a couple thousand miles for 6 or 7

·
Registered
295 Posts
Since I ride both a '15 renegade 600 carb AND an '04 mxz-x 600 sdi, I can tell you that you won't notice the power difference much on the trails or the powder, maybe you'll notice it on a lake but with that said, the gade takes the mxz off the line with the extra track length providing a better hook up. The carb vs sdi power difference WILL NOT make or break your riding, I can promise you that...

The shocks on the gade are OK but you should really look into getting a set of aftermarket ones if you're an experienced rider...

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
271 Posts
I came off of an 11 Sport in 2015. Now have an 16 BC 800 and 15 TNT 600. The sport was fantastic. X-package shocks made it great. If you're trail riding, I'd go with the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know of a 2014 XRS in great shape, he's asking $9950. I know a bit a over the prices your were saying but it only has 9?? Miles. Under 1000 miles and like new, if your interested PM me?
I appreciate the offer, but it is over my spending limit. Good looking though!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will you keep this sled ten years like you did your previous sled? Can you swing an extra grand for some good shocks? Ian at Monster Performance gets some great used shocks in at times. I would opt for the sport and put better shocks on it. That 600 carb is still one of BRP's best motors. Knowing you don't need to go 110mph, the 600 will treat you well. If you get the X you should still freshen up all the shocks.
I would definitely be trying to keep this sled for as long as mechanically possible. That's why brand new seems so appealing because with good maintenance I could expect (for the most part) not much trouble for a while. I'm really big about reliability. Thanks for the recommendation.

·
life is short, live long
29,081 Posts
Did the 800 qualify for the new top end? If so has it been done and how many miles ago? Tough call really. I like power, so if the 800 has new top end from doo, I'd probably go there. However, you cant go wrong with the 600 and a warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since I ride both a '15 renegade 600 carb AND an '04 mxz-x 600 sdi, I can tell you that you won't notice the power difference much on the trails or the powder, maybe you'll notice it on a lake but with that said, the gade takes the mxz off the line with the extra track length providing a better hook up. The carb vs sdi power difference WILL NOT make or break your riding, I can promise you that...

The shocks on the gade are OK but you should really look into getting a set of aftermarket ones if you're an experienced rider...

Just my $0.02
MadMike, are you overall happy with the 600 Carb Renegade? Any issues with it so far? That's the exact one I'm looking at. Sounds like a shock upgrade might come in handy at some point.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I'd go with the Backcountry, but that is me. You say you are happy with a 600, but add almost 2 feet of track, studs, and now off trail it's a dog for big guys like us. Then again if most of your riding is on trail then maybe you are good. I know once I got my 137 track I started enjoying the woods a lot more and having the power is important.

·
Registered
295 Posts
MadMike, are you overall happy with the 600 Carb Renegade? Any issues with it so far? That's the exact one I'm looking at. Sounds like a shock upgrade might come in handy at some point.
I am definitely happy with it. I'm just getting back into sledding after a few years away from the sport so I haven't had seat time on the new etecs and such. So for me, coming of my last sled (2005 440x), this was a nice upgrade to the xp chassis with a very reliable motor and I couldn't argue with the price...

Sure, the fit and finish aren't that of a blizzard or an xrs but I really can't complain other than the shocks. I upgraded mine to xrs shocks up front and custom zbroz in the skid. Cost was about $1800 all in.

The biggest issue I found while upgrading the shocks is that the SC5m skid on the 2015 sports has an irregular shock length (hence the need for custom shocks in the rear).

I'm impressed with it's off trail capabilities and with such a short season, I feel confident that I won't have down time with the sled in the shop for recalls or warranty work that the etecs seem to always need... There's something to be said about the 600 carb engine as far as simplicity and reliability...

If you weren't so far away, mine's for sale! But only because I'm moving and I don't have room for 3 sleds...

Feel free to PM me if you have any more specific questions.

Reactions: daman6052
1 - 20 of 37 Posts