Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if there were changes made to the free ride between 2011 and 2012??? Any major recalls or oops' that should be watched for? I currently have a 2012 free ride and I'm looking to trade for a longer one but want to know if there is anything with the 2011 that i should watch for or stay away from? If you have a 2011 your knowledge and experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
The rear skid on the 2011 FR was different. The rear arm was mounted 4" further back. This is the same as the 2012 "race" edition. The reason for that is for hill climb competition, the longer arm limits weight transfer to keep the front end down, but in powder it will tend to trench more. The 2012 non-race edition FR all have the same uncoupled rear suspension as the Summit. Other then that there's not much difference between the 2011 & 12

·
Banned
177 Posts
They do, but ti doesn't need to be done until after 1000 miles IF over 5000 ft in elevation but at see level it isnt an issue until 3500 miles AND its a BRP warranty covered recall, so it's sorta a moot point.

·
Registered
264 Posts
the 11s had softer springs all around, and one thing i like better with the 11 is what they used for the upper rear arm mount on the tunnel. my 2011 has some nice beefy mounts with from what i remember is two different mounting holes. the 12s and 13s have the regular xp mounting bracket which dont look very strong compared to the ones i have on my 2011 freeride. also the shocks have the giant knobs for dampening and only one option of tuning rather then high and low speed dampening options... not too big of a deal but just some things to consider. over all the changes arnt all that different unless you hate having a slightly deeper trench.

dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks a lot for the input guys. I really appreciate all the help and knowledge. Now I've heard that putting a vent kit on actually hurts the belt because of airflow creating back pressure because of the new belt cover and the way it draws in. To me it sounds like a load of bs. Has anyone installed a vent kit? Notice any longer belt life or is it just a way to make the sled look a little better?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Just drill holes in the side pane by your kneesl much better and more effective then the vent kit itself. These etecs throw off a ton of heat and need a place to go, I got the idea from Irondog I'm sure I can get pictures up sometime.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just picked up a 2011 Freeride 154 today, very excited to try this sled! This is my first Etec and I wanted to ask you guys what are some things that I should do before I head west. The sled has 1200 miles and all stock. Update was just done a few months ago at the local dealer. I have some white CA's MTX that I was going to put on but never tried the DS skis.

·
Registered
264 Posts
ds skis seem to work for me... i havent been able to try a different set but i am planning on trying out some hopefully. other then that id say do a good look over your suspension and tighten what ever could be loose. then clean the face of clutches and put some compressed air to the guts of it to get it really happy. that usually works for my etec.

dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts