Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Battery is two years old. I hooked it up to the trickle charger in the garage in March and forgot about it. When I put it back in the sled it doesn't have enough power to start the engine (900 Ace). All the gauge lights come on and you can hear the fuel pump but not enough power to start.

If I jump it to my son's sled it will start right up and stay running. Turn it off and it wont restart. Rode 70 miles yesterday, got it back in the trailer, shut it off and it would restart just one time. After that - not enough power. An hour later it would again start it just one time and after that no,

So the battery is the problem. Did I ruin it by keeping it on the charger all that time?

·
Banned
7,722 Posts
I wouldn't think that would ruin it. I have in the past kept a battery tender on my batteries for months at a time with no issues. Once the battery reaches full charge the tender does very little other than maintaining that full charge.

I would guess that you might just have a bad battery.

·
Registered
666 Posts
It depends on the charger.

You could have a bad one, a failure, or one that is not designed for small sled batteries. Of course batteries so fail too!

The Battery Tender brand is usually safe for the small sled batteries, and are automatic, but I have seen them fail and cook a battery too. Nothing is fail safe.

An old style trickle charger designed for an auto size battery can cook a sled battery. I'd never use a trickle charger now with smart chargers like the Bettery Tender brand being readily available.

But it does sound like you need a new battery.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have heard that these small batteries are only good for 2 years, but again, it depends how the battery is stored. I use a battery tender on all my batteries, but it is important to make sure that the charging rate is 1ah or less for extended maintenance cycles. I have even put battery tender connectors on the batteries in my sleds and keep them plugged in, if I will not be riding them for more than a couple of days. This approach has worked on my motorcycle, sleds and boat.

Battery is two years old. I hooked it up to the trickle charger in the garage in March and forgot about it. When I put it back in the sled it doesn't have enough power to start the engine (900 Ace). All the gauge lights come on and you can hear the fuel pump but not enough power to start.

If I jump it to my son's sled it will start right up and stay running. Turn it off and it wont restart. Rode 70 miles yesterday, got it back in the trailer, shut it off and it would restart just one time. After that - not enough power. An hour later it would again start it just one time and after that no,

So the battery is the problem. Did I ruin it by keeping it on the charger all that time?

Reactions: revrnd

·
Registered
721 Posts
You got four years out of that battery. Even with the best care, that's about as much life as you can expect to see. Get a new one, preferably the one that ships without the electrolyte in it. Fill, wait at least a half hour, then charge. That way you know your battery is 100% fresh. You might also look into one of those small portable lithium battery jump boxes. I carry one on every trip, because I ride with some four stroke guys, and don't want to wait to start the day. Riding time is precious!

Edit: I missed where you said that battery was two years old. My bad! Get a new one, and only use a float charger like a Battery Tender, and you should be fine....

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't trust any trickle charger other than "Batter Tender." I've had other tenders by other brands that have cooked the batteries. I've had an expensive "Shaffer," brand or something, that basically was a 110 volt battery wrecker.

I also have had mixed results w/ Yuasa.....but the same can be said for Interstate, and a bunch of others I can't think of. I think there's only 2 main manufacturers, but I can't recall. I seem to recall Yuasa is made by Deka....which is what I buy. After 2 years, it's a good chance to make it to 3. After that, it's a crap shoot. Sled trips are not ideal for gambling on being stranded.

I would replace both, and buy "top shelf." After 3 years, move it to pwc or mowers etc. Last, I'd mount quick connect on everything, but only trickle charge once a month. Sealed AGM only, for me at least.

Last: I've had good results w/ "Duracell," brand from Batteries Plus. (Was in a pinch...but impressed)

Good Luck,

Q. Arrius

·
Administrator - East Coast Tony
900T XRS
55,370 Posts
I have kept my 2008 Outlander connected to a tender since new.

It still has the original battery.

More recently I started using one of these so it only get zapped a couple hours per day.

white-plastic-intermatic-timers-tn311k-6

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
typical lead acid, or agm battery? agm once they go low, normal charging will not work. I had to bring mine back from the dead, few ways to do it.

one: remove it from sled, take a known good 12 volt battery, also not on a sled, car, truck and hook it up to a full size charger. hook troubled sled battery to that battery red to red, black to black with a set of jumper cables. Check sled batt in half hr for temp, warm ok, burning hot, no good, leave it if warm for a few hours, put it back in the sled and give it a try. if good, put tender back on and you should be set.

method 2, I used this recently. remove from sled, hook via jumper cables to running car or truck battery and let the car/ truck run for at least an hour. put er back in the sled and try it, then hook to tender when parked.

·
Banned
7,722 Posts
Batteries are very unpredictable. I have had very good luck with my sled batteries lasting sometimes over six or seven years. I also have had some barely get through two years.

The one that amazes me is the one on my zero turn mower. I bought the mower brand new in 2008 and have the original battery in it and never charged it or even taken it out of my mower and it's still going strong.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Have you checked the electrolite level in the battery? With that much charging the battery may need refilling with water. At least it's something to check before throwing the battery away.

Lynn

Reactions: revrnd

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I find that putting a battery tender on once a month for 24 hours is better than leaving it on. Original battery in my 2015 sled is still good.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yea, unfortunately on the Ace900 the battery is mounted really dumb. It's setting there with one end up. So my theory is that end cell has half its plate area hanging out of the electrolyte. And, it's half an inch from the muffler! At season end, I always pull mine, set it up right on the bench, and trickle charge it once a month, like I do all my out of season toys. I know it's a hassle, you have to pull the muffler to pull the battery. But I combine that with the seasonal oil change, which also needs muffler removed.
Ultimately, we'd figure out a way to move the battery to behind the seat like G4 chassis do it. The battery would be more accessible, WAY out of the extreme under-hood heat, would set more upright, and the sled would have better balance after removing some nose weight.
Trickle charging it while it's setting on end, if my theory is right, just ruins that end cell. During sled operation it's not that bad since at least the angle changes and g forces splash the end cell plates a bit. Again, this is my theory.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

My guess would be the battery needs replacing. The charger is probably OK but does not cut voltage back when the battery is fully charged like a "Battery Tender" does. If the battery didn't charge after riding the sled the whole blame can't be put on the charger you used.

Lynn

·
Registered
789 Posts
Yea, unfortunately on the Ace900 the battery is mounted really dumb. It's setting there with one end up. So my theory is that end cell has half its plate area hanging out of the electrolyte. And, it's half an inch from the muffler! At season end, I always pull mine, set it up right on the bench, and trickle charge it once a month, like I do all my out of season toys. I know it's a hassle, you have to pull the muffler to pull the battery. But I combine that with the seasonal oil change, which also needs muffler removed.
Ultimately, we'd figure out a way to move the battery to behind the seat like G4 chassis do it. The battery would be more accessible, WAY out of the extreme under-hood heat, would set more upright, and the sled would have better balance after removing some nose weight.
Trickle charging it while it's setting on end, if my theory is right, just ruins that end cell. During sled operation it's not that bad since at least the angle changes and g forces splash the end cell plates a bit. Again, this is my theory.
You can pull the battery without removing the muffler. You have to take one bolt off the plastic and with one hand pull the plastic back while wiggling the battery out with the other. It's snug but it will come out and go in. No muffler removal.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts