Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Details on 04-05 ring problems

788 views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  BIG JOHN 
#1 ·
Alright boys, I am looking for the details on the 04-05 ring problems. I am currently looking to buy a 04-05 Rev (upgrading from my first sled 01 RMK 800 156) and have been reading alot about guys having problems....how bad is the problem?

I have been looking at used sleds and there is an uncomfortable amount of sleds for sale with rebuilt motors under warranty. I am looking to buy a 04-05 (possibly 06 if I get hit with a money tree) Rev Summit 151-159 (preferably an X).

I have ridden a few and loved the way they handle and perform but have been getting a little scared off due to the apperance of a lack of reliability.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Starky

#4 ·
The 2004-2005 have moly rings...only the PT800HO's had the chrome rings...

You had a Polaris...the 800 poo had more crank failures than any engine on earth....I wouldnt worry about a rering issue-BJ

#5 ·
BIG JOHN said:
The 2004-2005 have moly rings...only the PT800HO's had the chrome rings...

You had a Polaris...the 800 poo had more crank failures than any engine on earth....I wouldnt worry about a rering issue-BJ
[snapback]914456[/snapback]​
That is so true. A few friends of mine have poo's and they all have put in at least one crank. One of my rideing partners put in 3 in one season!

And thats not even the half of it. Another friend of mine burnt his 98 RMK down a grand total of 8 times in one season. Plus changed out a crank.
Granted he piped them and we rode them year round. But My 98 670 summit had as many H2O miles on it, and hours logged under water as his. ANd mine was still running when I sold it. I talked to the guy last fall, and it was still running as of then?
Poo's are what they R in my book! POO.....
just my 2cents.

Shaneo

#6 ·
all ski-doo rings have been junk untill recently.........it just so happened that 600HO's had the problem show up the soonest.........

No worries at all........buy the new rings, or aftermarket rings, and all your worrries are behind you.............

like BJ said, o5 powerteks got the new rings, otherwise you had to wait till 06 till all the sleds got new rings......

check the compresion.........at 700 ft elevetion, anything under 125 means it probabbly needs rings soon.....fresh motors at my shop show 140-155 PSI.........sleds begin to "act-up" at about 115psi............and they run like arse at about 100psi or lower...........will barly start when warm at anything under 90 PSI

#11 ·
I wouldn't let the ring issue worry you much. When you try the sled, if it starts within 3 pulls and doesn't stall when you hit the RER reverse button...the rings haven't flaked much.
My experience: At 2,000 miles it's time to replace the rings. I did mine last weekend and the job is a bit time consuming but not difficult. At 2K I had flaking in one spot on the MAG ring and none on the other. You'll also want to check the carb boots as they probably need to be replaced also. See my below 04-800HO pic.

Attachments

#12 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys...so putting in a set of chrome rings will be a done deal once I pick-up a Rev.

One last question...is it necessary/worth while to upgrade to a 2 chrome ring piston...or is just upgrading to chrome rings on a stock piston good enough?

Cheers,

Starky

#13 ·
Starky said:
Thanks for the feedback guys...so putting in a set of chrome rings will be a done deal once I pick-up a Rev.

One last question...is it necessary/worth while to upgrade to a 2 chrome ring piston...or is just upgrading to chrome rings on a stock piston good enough?

Cheers,

Starky
[snapback]917509[/snapback]​
depends on the mileage of the new steed...

3000 or less just add chrome rings or my Trail Torquer kit (comes with chrome rings and other goodies)

3000 or more...I recomend my TT kit and my 2 ring pistons for a fresh top end-BJ

BTW- I only use DOO chrome rings and gaskets etc..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.