Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Skandik (widetrac) 2009 (have only driven it twice, not broken in yet!) my husband has an Expedition 2006. They both have electric start (the DESS means Digitally Encoded Security System) which you need to have in order to start your snowmobile...right?........the function of this is to have the clip of the tether cord attached to an eyelet of your jacket (in owners manual) when it becomes detached from the post it shuts the engine off ( the kill switch will do the same).

Our machines were stolen last night, which left me scratching my head. How does this happen if they don't have the DESS or key. I did see a few other forums (not here) which the users were quite adament that you could NOT start an electric start without that DESS that it was an anti-theft feature.

Well if that is the case these youths know something others don't. When we found our machines, we were able to but gas in them and use the pull cord and bring them home. I was told that they pull the wiring for the electrical start.

Does anyone actually know what they do to these machines? I really need to have some idea what actual damage we may be looking at before we have someone take a look at them.

Really was looking forward for taking my Skandik out for more breaking in

·
planes take off against the wind
15,035 Posts
did they tow them?

I am rusty on that model but I expect it to have a MPEM (computer) - unless they had the tether for that machine (or another MPEM for that model and programmed tether) they would have had to tow it to steal it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did they tow them?

I am rusty on that model but I expect it to have a MPEM (computer) - unless they had the tether for that machine (or another MPEM for that model and programmed tether) they would have had to tow it to steal it.
They did not tow them, they did not have a tether cord to match mine as there are only three of these in this community. I was told that they just unplug/cut the electrical for the ignition, use the kill switch and use the pull cord and off they go. Mine would have to have been put in reverse as it is between the house and a truck!. I am really not familiar with the method of how it is done and today I will have a better look at the electrical to figure what they did. I was hoping someone from the North knew how this was done and what I need to look for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
further to my reply today, with the limited amount of daylight I did get to look at the electrical. They unplugged the ignition switch and the DESS power supply. I have to replug those in (not much room for hands without taking the whole thing off) then I should be able to start it by the key (my husbands Expedition was unplugged as well). I also have to do a track adjustment. The air silencer was disconnected, had to bring it in the house because it was too cold to put back on.

Hopefully nothing else is wrong with it

·
15,035 Posts
guess I am confused on this model - does it have a MPEM?

You can unplug a 2 stroke all day long and you wont start a DESS sled without a matching MPEM & tether - it just wont run period.

It needs that electronic key before it will fire the plugs over 3000 rpm.

You may want to review your sled with a dealer to be sure they didnt do something else.
Again - cant speak to your model but all other DESS units I have seen since 98 are truly theft proof.

·
" We're all here, cause we ain't all
6,325 Posts
if they are lucky enough to have a tether that actually starts it,...but the sled wont rev up enough to engage the clutch. so evidently something wasnt done by the dealer, or the kiddies know a trick to run em. quick question,...they started them, and warmed em up enough to run them....without you hearing all of this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is good to know,I knew that without the tether the clutch won't engage, we live in the North (remote communities) our dealer is the Northern Store and they have someone who does put these machines together.

I can say that last night I managed to hook up the DESS and the Ignition (they just unplugged those) and secure the air silencer (what a bugger of a job that was!). I put the key in and attached the tether cord, it started up like a charm, I do hope there are not other things I may have missed. As you said zdooman, these should be anti theft proof, however the kids do steal a huge amount of machines up here and I do know that most have the electric start on them.

I will be contacting the company to find out how come these kids can drive these machines simply by unhooking the DESS and ignition. It is truly a mystery to me.

Oh and by the way, I have our machines parked at the front step, or bedroom window is on the other side of the house, (with a very noisy furnace going) I am also the Director of Social Services here and this month has been very busy, I have been sleeping quite heavily but it made me laugh when you said, they warmed them up, and they had to back mine out! and never heard a thing. We are so used to hearing snowmobiles going at all times because they far out number the vehicles here, we are able to drive on the roads here!

Thank you for all you comments zdooman. If I can find out the information from the company on how it is possible for them to be stolen I will post it.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
i think you should have the northern call and find out the details on it. There is a bit of a funky situation with the way they run the "dealership" of BRP equipment...they dont have a BOSS computer system in any store except iqaluit...i can guarantee that your sleds have NEVER been hooked to the BOSS system and registered, or anything that the proper PDI includes...if things are still the same as they were, the northern acutally buys the units and the warranty, meaning they do it all in house thru a division they call the "parts and distribution center" that they run out of winnipeg.

you want to talk to the local store manager first...then if you get no action i say you call the head office in Wpg and find out if you can get a number for the parts and distribution guys...they will know your answer for sure.

there is NO WAY to get past an operational DESS system...thats FACT...but the million dollar quesiton is...IS IT OPERATIONAL??

what community are you in??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think you should have the northern call and find out the details on it. There is a bit of a funky situation with the way they run the "dealership" of BRP equipment...they dont have a BOSS computer system in any store except iqaluit...i can guarantee that your sleds have NEVER been hooked to the BOSS system and registered, or anything that the proper PDI includes...if things are still the same as they were, the northern acutally buys the units and the warranty, meaning they do it all in house thru a division they call the "parts and distribution center" that they run out of winnipeg.

you want to talk to the local store manager first...then if you get no action i say you call the head office in Wpg and find out if you can get a number for the parts and distribution guys...they will know your answer for sure.

there is NO WAY to get past an operational DESS system...thats FACT...but the million dollar quesiton is...IS IT OPERATIONAL??

what community are you in??
Hey thank you for the great information. I knew there was something "fishy" about this DESS on a 2 stroke as they are always able to steal them here. It is a wonder no one has even questioned why an anti-theft devise is not anti-theft! But then I come along and start asking questions, I was speaking with the guy who "put" my machine together. I asked him how these are being stolen when they have DESS and the clutch is not suppose to engage, he said I do not have DESS, I said I do as that is what the owners manual tells me I have, he said oh really! Okay that told me alot there.

I live in Cape Dorset!

PS what does PDI mean? Is it Personal Data Information? If yes, I was wondering how my tether cord is registered to me....something else I have to find out....lol

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
PDI is the pre delivery assembly process that the dealer or in your case the northern does...its basically installing the shocks, skis, placement of handle bars etc...and if the sled does indeed have DESS then it includes the registration of that too.

is the tether BIG??...is it just a little1/2 inch rubber cap? or is it a rubber cap with a tin insert and its nearly an inch diameter???

·
15,035 Posts
PDI - Pre Delivery and Inspection.

This is an odd one....

If it truly is a DESS the cap is about the size of a quarter and has a metal insert in it (that houses the electronic 'key') which is programmed into the computer (MPEM). If its a smaller cap, smaller than a dime, that contacts a plunger type switch it is not a DESS.
I wonder if because your location does not have a BOSS programmer, which is a BRP tool dealers are required to have, then perhaps the DESS system is in a bypass mode of sorts and is not active? I guess it could be possible... Best to call the dealer and the BRP.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PDI is the pre delivery assembly process that the dealer or in your case the northern does...its basically installing the shocks, skis, placement of handle bars etc...and if the sled does indeed have DESS then it includes the registration of that too.

is the tether BIG??...is it just a little1/2 inch rubber cap? or is it a rubber cap with a tin insert and its nearly an inch diameter???
They did do the PDI.....and the tether is only dime size with no metal insert and a plunger type connect. I don't remember if I wrote this already in my post but I am able to push the plunger and turn the key and it will start up! *sigh* I thought maybe I had a bit of something to go by. I did notice that the picture in the owners manual does show the metal insert on the tether and figured mine was not right, must be showing the one for the Liquid Cooled Engine (does not say that though)....shows what I know huh?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
you do not have DESS...the manual uses pics that arent ideal sometimes.

FYI...i made some calls, and ive found out that the northern indeed does do the key (dess) programming with the software...but they do it in winnipeg when the assemble the machines...ALL of the "high tech" sleds they sell are setup in WPG.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Last year here kids stole one guys machine with a dess. I guess they just went in to his house, grabbed it where it was hanging and presto! We are all so used to ppl coming in and out with out knocking here, that you think nothing of it. So far no one has joy ride-ed our new skandics YET....
Mixing sugar or salt in the gas, I've had this happened before. you guys have that problem there? Haven't found a locking gas cap yet. Anyone no where to buy?

·
Registered
30 Posts
you do not have DESS...the manual uses pics that arent ideal sometimes.

FYI...i made some calls, and ive found out that the northern indeed does do the key (dess) programming with the software...but they do it in winnipeg when the assemble the machines...ALL of the "high tech" sleds they sell are setup in WPG.
When I had problems with missing parts, parts not installed/ preinspection issues Northmart in Iqaluit told me their sleds (skandics anyway) were done in montreal, might be diff for northern though

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Last year here kids stole one guys machine with a dess. I guess they just went in to his house, grabbed it where it was hanging and presto! We are all so used to ppl coming in and out with out knocking here, that you think nothing of it. So far no one has joy ride-ed our new skandics YET....
Mixing sugar or salt in the gas, I've had this happened before. you guys have that problem there? Haven't found a locking gas cap yet. Anyone no where to buy?
Where do you keep your machines? Are they lockedI have two types of locks now for ours. I odered an EZ Trak lock, it is easy to use and the lock hasn't frozen yet, and some other type of lock that I put through the hole in the track. So far so good...fingers crossed. I have gotten up some nights just to check if they are still there! The sugar and salt thing happens on occassion here, usually to someone who is having personal problems with someone. Our Northern Manager here in Cape Dorset is getting some locking gas caps, he is going to give me one. If you talk to your Store Manager and ask them to bring some in I am sure they will.....or I could get one for you and mail it out!!!

I know this is not about the topic....but for the past two weeks I cannot start my machine by the key, something is draining the battery....any thoughts? It starts by the pull start no problem...which is a good thing. Also do any of you who have a Skandic notice they take forever to warm up? Even in warmer temps.

·
Registered
594 Posts
When I had problems with missing parts, parts not installed/ preinspection issues Northmart in Iqaluit told me their sleds (skandics anyway) were done in montreal, might be diff for northern though
BRP sell them for $65 I think. As for the "kids" stealing the ski-doos get a couple of big husky dogs and tie them up close to the ski-doos , because the husky can stand extreme temps and are sort of mean and you can feed them any thing. And get a big chain with a couple of locks.

·
Registered
594 Posts
guess I am confused on this model - does it have a MPEM?

You can unplug a 2 stroke all day long and you wont start a DESS sled without a matching MPEM & tether - it just wont run period.

It needs that electronic key before it will fire the plugs over 3000 rpm.

You may want to review your sled with a dealer to be sure they didnt do something else.
Again - cant speak to your model but all other DESS units I have seen since 98 are truly theft proof.
not really if your gone long enough you can take any ones ski-doo, as long as you have the mpem and a dess key from another ski-doo (you just switch mpem and key and.........) this is the only way I think.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts