Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, first post here.

I actually joined the forum for this issue despite reading it for years.

This season, my Skandic has been giving me DESS issues. Not every time, but on 70% of starts, I get the steady beep and flashing DESS light. The machine may not move for sometimes 3 or 4 minutes until eventually it stops flashing and gives me the "beep beep" of a good check.

This year I have installed the Doo Montana mount and gps, as well as some aftermarket LED lights. The issue started after the installation of the gps and before the LED install. I have read about RF interference, so I unplugged the gps mount and LED headlights altogether and attempted starting but I get the same issue. To be clear, the machine runs great and always starts, but just gives me the beeping of what I think is the "check key" error.

There are 2700km on it.

Tonight I unplugged the DESS reader from the dash and swapped it with a brand new 2020 expy LE. My Skandic then started great every time, but the expy showed "Check key" on the display and wouldn't move. As I understand the key is not programmed to the reader, but rather to the gauge cluster or something.

I wonder if I can solve this issue by ordering a new reader? And what caused it to begin with? Should I ditch the LEDs or GPS? I want to be clear that I cannot go to a dealership as I am in a fly-in remote community. I can have parts flown in however.

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
So you have the round socket and ball style RF key. And unplugged the ball mounted into the dash and wires into the sled and tried a new one? You tried this new one with your existing key?

If so I'd expect it to behave the same with old ball RF reader and new one, unless there is something wrong with the reader.

But if you used the new RF reader with your existing RF key, it should work normally. Unless you had a bad reader AND a bad key.

You shouldn't need software to replace the reader, but would need it to program a key. Check out CanDoo pro if you are remote like I am. I find it indispensable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the ball and socket style key. I did try my second key on my same reader, and got the same errors.

I tried the reader from a different machine and it did not produce errors. It seems like it's the reader but I guess I'm looking for someone who has had the same issue and can kinda validate my diagnosis.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts