Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Skandic ACE arrived. Somebody tell me I'm missing something - there's no defrost for the windshield?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe he means a vent to let heat from the engine bay out behind the windshield?
Yes, of course. North of $10 grand for these new hi-tech machines and they lack an essential feature that's been around for decades? Some of you not knowing what I'm talking about leads me to believe I'm missing something. Been on Tundra I and II too long, I guess.

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
Reactions: suv1

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Yes, of course. North of $10 grand for these new hi-tech machines and they lack an essential feature that's been around for decades? Some of you not knowing what I'm talking about leads me to believe I'm missing something. Been on Tundra I and II too long, I guess.
Oh I know what your talking about alright, windshield heat hasn't been "standard" on the utility sleds for decades, either you were just born or woke from a long sleep?! :wink_old:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh I know what your talking about alright, windshield heat hasn't been "standard" on the utility sleds for decades, either you were just born or woke from a long sleep?! :wink_old:
I'll plead 'long sleep'. I was content to putt around on my Tundras for many years but thought I'd treat myself with the Skandic in my old age. Just didn't expect to lose features with the step up, and the engineering logic of this escapes me. You've got a heat exchanger, a radiator, and an oil cooler shedding heat and they never thought to direct some at the windshield?

·
7,718 Posts
I'll plead 'long sleep'. I was content to putt around on my Tundras for many years but thought I'd treat myself with the Skandic in my old age. Just didn't expect to lose features with the step up, and the engineering logic of this escapes me. You've got a heat exchanger, a radiator, and an oil cooler shedding heat and they never thought to direct some at the windshield?
As much as I was going to have some fun with this, you have a valid point. Redirecting some of that heat to the windshield would be fairly easy.

AvAK: Does your PC fan work well? I was thinking your sled would have to idle for decades before it made enough heat to defrost on a -25* morning but maybe I'm off the mark.

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
Yeah, works quite well. It's not blasting hot air, but there's enough you can feel it, even on your face when it's cold out. I test pick out the higher speed/CFM fans to use, some of them are pretty slow and lazy. If you really want some air, grab a 4" SPAL. There is plenty of underhood heat to use once the machine warms up, it's not instantaneous but it happens.

It seems designers must figure your average user is operating at about 20F.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts