Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Wow...dont really know what to say. Really goes to show how fragile people really are and how we ALL need to take a step backwards and think about are choices. Its a great sport, but people need to just stop every once in a while, look up at the sky and take it all in. We need to learn to enjoy what god has given us insted of speeding past it all. Pray for his family and friends.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
really sorry to hear that... keep the faith

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
That's really sad! What bothers me is this part of the report "The 42 y/o Kalkaska man was pronounced dead at the scene it is believed that alcohol, speed and unfamiliarity of the trails were factors in the accident."

Face it people speed and unfamiliarity would not be an issue if the person was not drinking. You drink and ride you are asking for this. I have a hard time feeling bad for the person, as sad as this is to say, but he was not only endangering his life but anyone on that trail the same time he was.

Drinking and driving a car is bad enough, drinking and driving a snowmobile has got to be one of the stupidest things one could do!

RIP

·
Premium Member
11,601 Posts
I am truely sorry for the loss of your friend.

If he hit the same tree that is in your link from last year (2005), he would be #3.

Last year many snowmobilers thought it should be turned into fire wood.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Truley a sad deal. May he R.I.P.

I thought the pics of that sled were on here last year. Those pics give me the goose bumps.

·
I might be dumb, but I’m not stupid!
1,296 Posts
I seen that picture last year, just wonderin if there was supposed to be different pic. Sorry for your loss

·
Good at wrecking stuff.
5,634 Posts
04renegade600ho said:
Face it people speed and unfamiliarity would not be an issue if the person was not drinking.
[snapback]686182[/snapback]​
Oh BULL SCHIT! What an irresponsible thing to say! Do you think its ok to just go out on a trail you're not familiar with and run WFO just because you haven't had anything to drink? If that's your attitude then may I suggest that you're part of the PROBLEM and not part of the solution?

Someone else on this forum said it best: I'd rather see a drunk going slow on his own side of the trail than some sober wanna-be racer riding out of control on the wrong side!

Its a sad incident- the only good thing is that at least an innocent person(s) wasn't taken out at the same time. aswetich, sorry for your loss. Just PLEASE let it serve as a reminder to you and your friends and family to be a safer snowmobiler. Don't let him die for nothing.

·
Boondocker
7,342 Posts
xdude said:
I seen that picture last year, just wonderin if there was supposed to be different pic. Sorry for your loss
[snapback]686345[/snapback]​
The pics of the cat are from last years crash. 2004

G

·
Sorry to hear that.... we appear to have suffered the same type of loss this weekend.......It has not been 100% confirmed yet, but all fingers point to friends we met, and have hung out with 2-3 times.....
HOW QUICK things can Happen

Is it me or has there been alot of people getting hurt this year compared to previous years... I just, don't remember hearing about SOOOO MANY accidents...?!!

·
ammunta katselija
1,698 Posts
bengelp said:
04renegade600ho said:
Face it people speed and unfamiliarity would not be an issue if the person was not drinking.
Oh BULL SCHIT! What an irresponsible thing to say! Do you think its ok to just go out on a trail you're not familiar with and run WFO just because you haven't had anything to drink? If that's your attitude then may I suggest that you're part of the PROBLEM and not part of the solution?

Someone else on this forum said it best: I'd rather see a drunk going slow on his own side of the trail than some sober wanna-be racer riding out of control on the wrong side!

Its a sad incident- the only good thing is that at least an innocent person(s) wasn't taken out at the same time. aswetich, sorry for your loss. Just PLEASE let it serve as a reminder to you and your friends and family to be a safer snowmobiler. Don't let him die for nothing.
[snapback]689924[/snapback]​
I could be wrong, but I thought that his point was because he had been drinking, the liquid courage might have been to blame for the high speed. I have almost been hit on more than one occasion and it makes me want to turn around and run the people down and to tell them to get a clue. I too am sick of the want to be racers out there. I just think what if it were my son riding without enough experience to see them coming and know how best to avoid the careless drivers. I can't imagine how I would feel if I caused a death due to negligence, let alone it was a young person for that matter. I sit back and read posts from many people on this board that come across as complete idiots concerned with no one but themselves. Some people just need to grow up a little and think about their actions

·
Good at wrecking stuff.
5,634 Posts
I agree mojo. My problem with the statements about alcohol is that people use the alcohol as an excuse. Its NOT. You CHOOSE to drink the same as you CHOOSE to push the throttle, whether or not you're drinking. Bud Light didn't push the throttle, the operator did.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Having seen first hand, up way too close and personal, the effects of unsafe snowmobile operation, I agree with mojo's and bengelps's comments.

Safe riding demands your full and complete attention, driving within your limits, and abstaining from any intoxicants until the day's sledding is done.

Period.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you all....

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
This whole post puzzles me as I work with a guy who was with HIS brother this past weekend and his brother was in a fatal accident in Kalkaska and I find it hard to believe that there were 2 accidents in the same place and two different people died............. Oh and he was on an Arctic Cat also. Am I corect in assuming the attachment was from the wreck LAST year not the one from this past weekend? That would make more sense as it is dated 2005.

·
Good at wrecking stuff.
5,634 Posts
Its an old picture. The sheriff's report says it was a 2002 Cat and the picture isn't. I think its a little lame of the sheriff's department to use different photos. Obviously they're trying to send a message, so why compromise the message?

·
planes take off against the wind
15,035 Posts
ya - I kind of had the same thoughts - something wierd about the post but I didnt want to distract from the intent of the thread....

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
bengelp said:
04renegade600ho said:

[snapback]689924[/snapback]​
Whatever.... The point I am saying is that alcohol slows your reactions and tends to make people more brave and daring. In a lot, if not most, accidents where alcohol was involved it would not have happened if they had not been drinking. I don't agree with drinking and driving a car but see people do it all the time. In a car you are in a much simpler environment that you are accustomed to, you know the way and you probably take it easy because you don't want to get caught. On a snowmobile you have all the power and courage (drunkenness) and think you can do anything, the trails are narrower and your reactions are slower. It's already scary enough the way some people ride them they go and ride from bar to bar talking "edit for bad language" and trying to show off. I personally think anyone caught over the limit on a snowmobile should have the snowmobile impounded (for good) and he thrown in jail for 30 days! This is one reason I generally don't ride at night and I wouldn't hesitate to call the police on a rider if I saw him/her hop on a sled while drunk.

You want to get drunk and risk you life so be it but DON'T BE RISKING MINE!!!!

Alcohol and powersports DO NOT MIX! Anyone who thinks otherwise is a moron!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts