Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The complaints some of you have had about can getting red hot and shooting out flames is now officially addressed by ski-doo. My dealer called me on Friday and said i need to bring my sled in so they ca reprogram my fuel map. I already had it in there once after the overheat light went off twice but at the time they said everything was normal, guess not.Hope this fixes it because i love this sled.

·
ITs WINTER!
7,500 Posts
Cool, i think BRP has just oficially made the most popular and expensive flame throwers

Hopefully everyone gets the call before their sled burns down!

·
Registered
102 Posts
No other activity on this thread?
Anyone else hear from their dealer?
Any other rumors of a fix for the multiple new 2006 SDI issues that I never had on my 04SDI?

I still have 2 issues with the 06 Renegade after 2400 miles and am axiously awaitng an officail fix:

1. Sled loses so much power ruinning at 32F or warmer it feels like riding a 500 at best.

2. During a long WOT run, after a couple miles power drops off becasue the exhaust temp sensor tells the computer to cool things off. Again, running like a 500 at best, RPM and power are significantly reduced. I feel like a spark plug is going bad, but replacing them doesn't help, and is not the problem.

I run 91 octane where available, many full tanks from real gas stations, I have the latest spark plugs recommended by Doo, new belt, etc. Computer code is excessive exhaust temps. Other SDI's in the group has the same issues, non-SDI sleds in the group (including Yammis) all run great on the same gas stops.

Has Rotax pushed 2-stroke technology beyond the point of understanding it?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NH-2004-600SDI said:
No other activity on this thread?
Anyone else hear from their dealer?
Any other rumors of a fix for the multiple new 2006 SDI issues that I never had on my 04SDI?

I still have 2 issues with the 06 Renegade after 2400 miles and am axiously awaitng an officail fix:

1. Sled loses so much power ruinning at 32F or warmer it feels like riding a 500 at best.

2. During a long WOT run, after a couple miles power drops off becasue the exhaust temp sensor tells the computer to cool things off. Again, running like a 500 at best, RPM and power are significantly reduced. I feel like a spark plug is going bad, but replacing them doesn't help, and is not the problem.

I run 91 octane where available, many full tanks from real gas stations, I have the latest spark plugs recommended by Doo, new belt, etc. Computer code is excessive exhaust temps. Other SDI's in the group has the same issues, non-SDI sleds in the group (including Yammis) all run great on the same gas stops.

Has Rotax pushed 2-stroke technology beyond the point of understanding it?
[snapback]701397[/snapback]​
I sure hope not. I love the sled and it has run great for me. I had an issue with the overheat sensor coming on but hasnt happened since. never felt like i was losing power either.

·
www.kalcoinspections.com
3,186 Posts
Anybody know the date of this update? I had my 05 updated to the 12/06/05 update, need to know if I need to worry
. Although it has been running great and hasn't fouled a plug since.

·
Registered
152 Posts
the only thing that happened to my sled and my buddies twin was that after running wot the rpms would not go past 5000 for a short time. then it cleared up.
any one else have the 5000 rpm problem
i was told by dealer the sled went into limp mode ------what ever that means?

·
REV XP Nut
1,248 Posts
I went in to a dealer to check this out and went on the dealers BOSS web site to look for this recall and there is none I looked 3 times at all the recalls ? so what is the recall number 2006-?

·
Princess of Darkness!
1,439 Posts
I had the same problem with my sled while on a trip up North. WHile running at the 7000 rpm range, for extended periods of time, (75 mph) the exhaust heats up and put my sled in limp mode, this retards the timing and protects the motor. I had the warning lights come on, had to pull over and let the can cool. Then it would be okay, had to stay away from the 75 mph range, unfortunately that's the speed you normally run in Northern Ontario.

I brought the sled to a dealer in Kapuskasing he put in on the computer and it showed I had an event of one of the following problems.

Very High Exhaust Temperature
Poor fuel Quality
Extreme riding conditions

It did it again on my way home. Brought sled to dealer in my home town when I got back. It registered another event, same problem. He put the 05 fuel mapping in until he gets the fix. He should have had it last Friday, I haven't called yet to see if it's in, it should be.

My sister's sled did the exact same thing at the same time while riding, yet hers didn't register on the computer?

Evil

·
Registered
500 Posts
Evil said:
I had the same problem with my sled while on a trip up North. WHile running at the 7000 rpm range, for extended periods of time, (75 mph) the exhaust heats up and put my sled in limp mode, this retards the timing and protects the motor. I had the warning lights come on, had to pull over and let the can cool. Then it would be okay, had to stay away from the 75 mph range, unfortunately that's the speed you normally run in Northern Ontario.

I brought the sled to a dealer in Kapuskasing he put in on the computer and it showed I had an event of one of the following problems.

Poor fuel Quality

It did it again on my way home. Brought sled to dealer in my home town when I got back. It registered another event, same problem. He put the 05 fuel mapping in until he gets the fix. He should have had it last Friday, I haven't called yet to see if it's in, it should be.

My sister's sled did the exact same thing at the same time while riding, yet hers didn't register on the computer?

Evil
[snapback]702175[/snapback]​
The engine light needs to come on before the computer will register it. It seems the sled will go into limp mode once or twice and if you keep on it after the light goes off the light will come on again and that's when the check engine light will come on. Once the light does come on you will be able to notice right away cause your rpm's will go down alot.

·
Registered
0 Posts
My wife's 05 600 sdi has run flawless from day one. She has 2 thousand miles on it and it still has the original plugs in it. I would say if your SDI is running good don't bring it to the dealer for any updates. I've heard of guys with 600's and 1000 cc SDI's that have had updates and don't like the results. What I don't understand is the 05 SDI's ran great and now they are having problems with the 06 SDI's. I also talked to a Doo mechanic the other day and he said that they are having problems with the temp sensor on some of the 06 SDI's. Before I would let my dealer change any maping I would have the temp sensor checked.

·
Super Moderator
31,547 Posts
bm800rev said:
Anybody know the date of this update? I had my 05 updated to the 12/06/05 update, need to know if I need to worry
. Although it has been running great and hasn't fouled a plug since.

[snapback]701627[/snapback]​
Don't touch it then. My '04 SDI has had 1 update done, and that was the original. I know a few more have come out since then but my sled runs way too good to mess with it. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

·
Princess of Darkness!
1,439 Posts
griggm said:
Evil said:

Poor fuel Quality

Evil
[snapback]702175[/snapback]​
The engine light needs to come on before the computer will register it. It seems the sled will go into limp mode once or twice and if you keep on it after the light goes off the light will come on again and that's when the check engine light will come on. Once the light does come on you will be able to notice right away cause your rpm's will go down alot.
[snapback]702446[/snapback]​
On my sister's sled her warning light did come on but it still didn't register on the computer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
2006 600 SDI X

Mine did it three times this weekend, all after extended runs at high speeds, shut-it down for 1 minute, fire-it up and away I go again. In the dealer right now. Also noticed that gas mileage was awesome and so was oil usage, 557 miles 3 litres of oil still working on the gas total.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Muskoka_smurf said:
2006 600 SDI X

Mine did it three times this weekend, all after extended runs at high speeds, shut-it down for 1 minute, fire-it up and away I go again. In the dealer right now. Also noticed that gas mileage was awesome and so was oil usage, 557 miles 3 litres of oil still working on the gas total.
[snapback]702838[/snapback]​
Mine did it 3 times over 1000 mi TRIP, 1 1/2 weeks ago. 2/6/06 I HAD A UPDATE AT MY DEALER INSTALLED. 06 MXZX 600 SDI-2277 MI ON IT. IT IS ON BOSS WEB AS OF YESTERDAY. TECH SAID IT WAS MAINLY FOR THE TEMP SENSOR SOFTWARE TO MAIN PROGRAM UPDATE. I GOT A 400 MI TRIP IN A COUPLE OF DAYS. I GUESS I'LL WAIT AND SEE HOW THE UPDATE WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just got done talking to my dealer. Was there with him as he checked for this update. He didn't find a thing about it. What gives?

·
Registered
52 Posts
My dealer just called and said my sled had 1 incident of over-heating and there is no update for the 06 600 SDI only for the 06 Mach. Can anyone confirm that their 06 600 SDI sled has been updated. I don't want to be holding everyone up again on my next trip because the stupid sled has gone into fail-safe mode. I thought I was getting rid of problems when I traded in my 03 800.

·
Ready for flight
2,505 Posts
Keep in mind that my 1000 sdi went into limp mode and the light came on and would not go off. It was a blown fuse didn't know that out on the trail rode back in limp mode. Then the clutch blew apart 35 to 40 miles from the truck and trailer, bad trip. But if I would have found the blown fuse earlier,I wouldn't have turned and headed back I would have been 100 miles+ from the truck and trailer when the clutch let loose. So maybe it was a blessing when the fuse blew.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just had my 2006 REV 600 sdi X reprogrammed. In a 1420 mile trip mine registered 6 occurances. The engine may lose power even if the engine has NOT registered a fault.
The bulletin was just released from BRP and the updated program is on the BOSS website as of 2-10-06.
This lean condition will occur when the engine RPM is consistently held at 6900-7300 RPM while at 43% throttle position for 4 minutes.
This is only for the 2006 SDI 600 not the 2004 and not the 2005.
If you have a 2006 and you ride open country at 65-75 mph for long periods of time you should get the update.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.