Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
05 GSX 800 ptek 2200 miles electric start

Stopped dead on trail,tack at 4k ,speedo at 30
thought I siezed it.grab recoil it turns over fine
Thought I hit rer or kill sw,nope
reset try to start ,no crank .

start chking fuses find the 30 amp on top of the batt blown,replace 30 and now it will crank but not start .pull a plug looks fine,crank no spark.

After replacing 30 ,I replaced all the fuses just for ha ha even though they all were fine.
Also the tack and speedo are still stuck where they stopped at while cranking .
Okay now I'm thinking power relay went bad.

get it home in the heated garage warm up dry it out.

get manual out and wiring diagrams out start chking things out.
relay is fine ,12 volts is there so I bench test it it works fine contacts are good.
I did all the pinout test in the shop manual all good.

I like how they say in the manual just try another ecm.like everyone has one hanging around!!!!!

I think I've chkd everything I can,Any Ideas????

anyone got any real way to confirm before I take it in?
I have all schematics so pinouts are not a problem for me.
I hate dealers !!!! Though!!!

Thanks!
Rich

·
Registered
0 Posts
GSX800HO said:
05 GSX 800 ptek 2200 miles electric start

Stopped dead on trail,tack at 4k ,speedo at 30
thought I siezed it.grab recoil it turns over fine
Thought I hit rer or kill sw,nope
reset try to start ,no crank .

start chking fuses find the 30 amp on top of the batt blown,replace 30 and now it will crank but not start .pull a plug looks fine,crank no spark.

After replacing 30 ,I replaced all the fuses just for ha ha even though they all were fine.
Also the tack and speedo are still stuck where they stopped at while cranking .
Okay now I'm thinking power relay went bad.

get it home in the heated garage warm up dry it out.

get manual out and wiring diagrams out start chking things out.
relay is fine ,12 volts is there so I bench test it it works fine contacts are good.
I did all the pinout test in the shop manual all good.

I like how they say in the manual just try another ecm.like everyone has one hanging around!!!!!

I think I've chkd everything I can,Any Ideas????

anyone got any real way to confirm before I take it in?
I have all schematics so pinouts are not a problem for me.
I hate dealers !!!! Though!!!

Thanks!
Rich
[snapback]736965[/snapback]​
I think that your best option would be to bring it to your dealer and have him hook it up to the computer. I know that my dealer wouldn't charge me just to trouble shoot it. Otherwise you will probably spend more time and money trying to figure it out by yourself. Most dealers won't take back electrical components after you bought and tried them on your sled.

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just ttt for the night shift guys
Thanks
Rich

·
Registered
16 Posts
My ECM went out at 200 miles. My dealer said it was a faulty module, so they replaced it, of course I still have warranty and it is a brand new sled, but yours sounds exactly like what the symptoms of mine were. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
bring it to your dealer and read your owners manual in the warranty coverage.ecu & ecm are covered under EPA warranty which is longer than normal coverage period.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have an 05 sdi and I am currently having the same problems but no blown fuses. I took it to ingles and they replaced the voltage regulator and that didn't fix it. My sled will just die with the gauges stuck. Since they "fixed" it I have been riding and keeping track of where it dies. There isn't any set situation where stops. The only thing that seems funny to me is the grey button to start the sled or put it into reverse. It does NOT have electric start but when I hit the button the lights on the dash don't always come on I sometimes have to push it as many as ten times for it to come on Once they are on it starts next pull. I dont know if that could be the problem I'm going do some more riding and try to pin point when and what happnes. Let me know what happens with your sled and what the dealer says. goodluck

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have an 03 rev 600ho, I ahd 1900 mi on it and when I went to start it for the first time last year it would run but the headlight, tailight, and gauges wouldn't work. They tested a bunch of stuffand found out that the main brain box was bad, which wasn't under warranty at the time and cost $800.

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why I hate dealers !
Part 1
Before even looking at the machine.He tells me ecm is not under any longer warranty than 1 yr.
As reference to the person who told me to double chk the warranty listed in the manual.you are correct all emission parts are supposed to be covered for 30 months as written in the power tek supplement.
We will see what they say when I show them.

why I hate dealers !
the fight begins before you even get there with the sled.
Rich

·
Registered
0 Posts
GSX800HO said:
Why I hate dealers !
Part 1
Before even looking at the machine.He tells me ecm is not under any longer warranty than 1 yr.
As reference to the person who told me to double chk the warranty listed in the manual.you are correct all emission parts are supposed to be covered for 30 months as written in the power tek supplement.
We will see what they say when I show them.

why I hate dealers !
the fight begins before you even get there with the sled.
Rich
[snapback]739071[/snapback]​
I think you should shop for a new dealer. Most every dealer I've bought sleds from have been great. I've heard plenty of stories about bad dealers but luckily I haven't delt with them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts