Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

· Registered
91 Plus, 93 Mach 1 and 97 Mach Z.
2,218 Posts
It is interesting to see all the new mega stores for powersports. Someone is making major cash selling this stuff if they can build multi-million $ superstores.
From the expected sales point of view, for sure they are supposed to make a lot of cash. But I honestly don't think there is a massive cost in establishing the store itself, because apart from the impressive looking front of the building, most of them have got next to nothing...

It's more like it's all about different priorities in line with some of the things you mention. Where the good old mom and pop multi brand dealership has a massive spare parts stock that dates back to the 70's, the new mega stores have no stock for anything earlier than 2020 and if they happen to have something in stock, it's all about accessories and clothing with a big margin. Definitely not the spare parts that will save a customer couple hours before the weekend...

Same thing with the employees. No head mechanic that has seen it all from the Olympique and on, but rather a building full of backslick youngsters fresh out of salesmen school, telling any customer exactly what he wants to hear to buy something...

· Registered
30 Posts
Just for the record - I would love to have a place here that was a mom and pop and would try to steer my business to them, they just don't exist.

As a consumer - I will always try to spend my parts and service money with a dealer that I buy my sled from, they just make it so hard to buy from.

IE - this spring the wife and I decided to finally update her 12 year old sled and decided on a Expedition Sport 600EFI. Since I was willing to try and buy from a local dealer, AND we already missed SnowCheck, we were stuck working with those who had inventory pointed at them. Came down to four dealers. Brothers, Mies St Cloud, Moon and Centre.

Brothers - walk in the door in the spring asking about it, they tell us to come back in September, too busy to give us price (I understood that being this was May). Stop in mid September, they say too busy, come back in October. Wife and I walk in the door last Friday morning of October, ask if we can get a price, they tell us they are too busy to talk sleds (the sales guy didnt even get out of the chair, and we were the only people in the place). In the end we never even got a price from them, they were too busy.

Mies St Cloud - we knew they had the ExpySort coming in, called about it and got a sales guy, got his name, says to stop in (I work a territory for work, drive by them 3-4 days a week). Stop in, they have a left over Expedition SE 600R for a fair price, tell them we are interested, just need the wife to come take a look at it and we arrange to meet at 10am Saturday. We getup early on Saturday, stop for breakfast and drive a hour and a half and walk in the door at 9:30. We walk the sales floor for an hour, she sits on the machine a half dozen times, not one person stops to help us. Never saw Chris the sales guy. Had $14000 cash in my pocket, my truck and trailer in the parking lot. Ended up leaving with no sled. Calls me at 1pm wanting to know when we are coming down, informed him they wasted 5 hours of my time and we are buying something somewhere else.

Moon - I have bought multiple units at Moon over a decade from the same sales guy who is now sales manager. 2 ATVs, a couple of street motorcycles, etc... have a good repor there as I usually trade my stuff in and they know its in tip top shape. We actually started with them first, however I could no longer work with "my" guy as he is now the Sales Manager. Have to work with another guy who doesn't call anyone back. However we actually put $500 down on the sled in the early summer there, but they couldn't give me an OTD price then (another "too busy" scenario I presume). Ask thru the summer and early fall what the OTD price was, could never get an answer. The week the sled is supposed to arrive, they call to tell me its coming in, I ask them what the OTD is. The $9800MSRP sled was being padded with $2400 ($400 doc fee on a sled you aren't financing?, $1300 "setup" and the $700 BRP freight fee) in "fees" that had never been there before. I take a breath and wait to take delivery.

Cente - because of what was happening at Moon, I went shopping around one last time, Centre had the same sled coming in, same starting MSRP price and they were 10,900OTD. Almost $1500 cheaper than Moon. Called them on a Wednesday to get the price, picked it up Friday. In the end they were the place that acted like they wanted my business.

Moon let me transfer my deposit to the parts dept - so we bought some accessories for the the Expedition, none of which were in stock.

The pandemic broke a lot of things for a lot of businesses, most of which is the customer service experience, which is self induced. "Buying" has to be a success for all parties, it has to work for everyone. Trying to find a dealer in MN that wants to make it a win for the customer is hard to do.
A Mom and Pop dealer in MN is Willeys Marine in Mcgregor MN too bad they dont sell Skidoos they sell polaris but if your looking for a boat or toon Great place with great service dept

· Registered
3,403 Posts
From the expected sales point of view, for sure they are supposed to make a lot of cash. But I honestly don't think there is a massive cost in establishing the store itself, because apart from the impressive looking front of the building, most of them have got next to nothing...

It's more like it's all about different priorities in line with some of the things you mention. Where the good old mom and pop multi brand dealership has a massive spare parts stock that dates back to the 70's, the new mega stores have no stock for anything earlier than 2020 and if they happen to have something in stock, it's all about accessories and clothing with a big margin. Definitely not the spare parts that will save a customer couple hours before the weekend...

Same thing with the employees. No head mechanic that has seen it all from the Olympique and on, but rather a building full of backslick youngsters fresh out of salesmen school, telling any customer exactly what he wants to hear to buy something...
Bang on...... (y)

I was on my way to our place up north this passed Saturday and was looking for parts for a 72 Ski Doo T'NT 292. I've always looked up the part number and jotted them down as IMO it makes easier for everyone. Anyways, I stopped at the my dealer as we go right pass them heading north. It's not mega store and they only sell Yami along with doo. But they have been in business since the 60's. They didn't have all the parts I wanted but they did have some. The sales guy always greets us (Son and I) and ask how doing. He's not even a sledhead, more of a biker. The parts person is always helpful even when it comes to looking for vintage parts.

Reactions: Alatalo

· Registered
2023 Skidoo MXZ Blizzard 850
396 Posts
Just for the record - I would love to have a place here that was a mom and pop and would try to steer my business to them, they just don't exist.

As a consumer - I will always try to spend my parts and service money with a dealer that I buy my sled from, they just make it so hard to buy from.

IE - this spring the wife and I decided to finally update her 12 year old sled and decided on a Expedition Sport 600EFI. Since I was willing to try and buy from a local dealer, AND we already missed SnowCheck, we were stuck working with those who had inventory pointed at them. Came down to four dealers. Brothers, Mies St Cloud, Moon and Centre.

Brothers - walk in the door in the spring asking about it, they tell us to come back in September, too busy to give us price (I understood that being this was May). Stop in mid September, they say too busy, come back in October. Wife and I walk in the door last Friday morning of October, ask if we can get a price, they tell us they are too busy to talk sleds (the sales guy didnt even get out of the chair, and we were the only people in the place). In the end we never even got a price from them, they were too busy.

Mies St Cloud - we knew they had the ExpySort coming in, called about it and got a sales guy, got his name, says to stop in (I work a territory for work, drive by them 3-4 days a week). Stop in, they have a left over Expedition SE 600R for a fair price, tell them we are interested, just need the wife to come take a look at it and we arrange to meet at 10am Saturday. We getup early on Saturday, stop for breakfast and drive a hour and a half and walk in the door at 9:30. We walk the sales floor for an hour, she sits on the machine a half dozen times, not one person stops to help us. Never saw Chris the sales guy. Had $14000 cash in my pocket, my truck and trailer in the parking lot. Ended up leaving with no sled. Calls me at 1pm wanting to know when we are coming down, informed him they wasted 5 hours of my time and we are buying something somewhere else.

Moon - I have bought multiple units at Moon over a decade from the same sales guy who is now sales manager. 2 ATVs, a couple of street motorcycles, etc... have a good repor there as I usually trade my stuff in and they know its in tip top shape. We actually started with them first, however I could no longer work with "my" guy as he is now the Sales Manager. Have to work with another guy who doesn't call anyone back. However we actually put $500 down on the sled in the early summer there, but they couldn't give me an OTD price then (another "too busy" scenario I presume). Ask thru the summer and early fall what the OTD price was, could never get an answer. The week the sled is supposed to arrive, they call to tell me its coming in, I ask them what the OTD is. The $9800MSRP sled was being padded with $2400 ($400 doc fee on a sled you aren't financing?, $1300 "setup" and the $700 BRP freight fee) in "fees" that had never been there before. I take a breath and wait to take delivery.

Cente - because of what was happening at Moon, I went shopping around one last time, Centre had the same sled coming in, same starting MSRP price and they were 10,900OTD. Almost $1500 cheaper than Moon. Called them on a Wednesday to get the price, picked it up Friday. In the end they were the place that acted like they wanted my business.

Moon let me transfer my deposit to the parts dept - so we bought some accessories for the the Expedition, none of which were in stock.

The pandemic broke a lot of things for a lot of businesses, most of which is the customer service experience, which is self induced. "Buying" has to be a success for all parties, it has to work for everyone. Trying to find a dealer in MN that wants to make it a win for the customer is hard to do.
Your first mistake was not walking around with $100 bills falling out of your pockets! I don't know why it is so difficult for power sports dealers to exert a little effort to talk with their customers. You may not make a major purchase the first time you walk into their place, or even the 5th time, but when the staff show you they want to help steer you towards your "wants", they are building that trust for big or small purchases. And if phone messages are left by customers, make EVERY attempt to call them back within 24 hours!

· Registered
1,300 Posts
This is sad. The kind of service many small stores offer when they have long term employees with knowledge and time is often not found in the larger dealerships. That said it does not come as any surprise to me and you will see more and more small dealers flushed out of the dealer network. This is not at all by accident either. Our store started out as a mom and pop store with 3 employees, selling 30-50 Ski-Doos per season. Now the store has 25 employees and we move between 300-450 Ski-Doos and nearly the same volume of Can-Am. In speaking with BRP employees at Club years back, they made it clear there intention was to set themselves apart as a top shelf brand and dealers that could not afford building and showroom upgrades, enormous initial orders, mandatory signage, large volume unit orders and a host of other requirements would not maintain dealer status. They want every BRP showroom to have the correct lighting, BRP displays, XPS oil displayed in a specific way etc etc etc. They did not want dealers representing the BRP brand selling out of small shops and houses and shag carpet and old signage. While having a clean modern show room can be nice, there is a huge difference in feel in many of the big stores vs mom and pop shops. In many of the small dealerships I have been to, the employees are retained long term, they have much more knowledge, they know their customers by name and not only care about them, but take time to build and sustain relationships with them. BRP is big business and the decisions are made by the bean counters and those making money for the shareholders. There are so many small dealers that simply cannot spend 150K on a show room remodel with lighting, desks and displays. They cannot order 250K in parts/accessories on their initial order, they cannot send two master techs to school, they cannot shell out 25K for the correct signage. This is the reality that will flush out the small dealers just like Costco flushed out so many small grocers. It certainly do not like it, but this is not just BRP, its many companies world wide. The big fish eats the little fish and then a even bigger fish eats the big fish. Not sure if articulated that well, but those are my thoughts.

· Registered
170 Posts
I live in the Central Lakes Area of MN, (brainerd) and have 15 SkiDoo dealers within 100 miles of me (Not an exaggeration). None of them ever have the parts I need (the exception is Centre / SkiDooOutlet as they sometimes have what I need, but are almost two hours away)
As reinforcement for my point last week - called into the two closest dealers to me to ask for what is probably if not THE most worn out item on a late model ski doo, it would be a top 5 list, pDrive torque rollers. In the entire state of MN there is one set of the forward rollers at a dealer in the cities, and for the reverse rollers there is one pair (not a set of 3) at another dealer.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts