Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Members
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new 900 series Pro Tuner kits (pDrive flyweight/ramp) series is now available for most models.

We have had a lot of inquiry on the different versions. We have now updated all possible info about each set to the website.

In the past year or two we have had many different requests for tuning components for the pDrive. We have made some variations to offer based on those requests.

DPT 900-T, and DPT 901-T are direct bolt in options for 900 Turbo Ace.

DPT 902 is for the clicker type clutch on 850 models, and coming soon DPT 903 set which is a lighter variant for use in 600 or people who need lighter (more info on that once it is on our website and available)

Used on the snow last season.

Here is a bit of info from last year with the 902 kit.

4 of the users who tested 902 kit on 850 two stroke models already had many (at least 2, some had more) ... other sets of adjustable weights for the 850 pDrive, and had spent considerable time tuning with all of them.before getting the 902 kit. There are lots of other ramps on the market and I'm sure all will work with their own recipe, but here is what we had from them with the 902 pro tuner kit.

....2 of the users had jaws pipes and some different recommended set ups that were suggested. .....all users dialed in the 902 kit pretty quickly, and the two with Jaws pipes both claimed that they could hold rpm on long pull better with these.....and that was in a few different combinations of weight that they used.

The 902 set is almost exactly the stock 968 curve, but just very slightly less aggressive, which can seem to allow more weight in the tip. Some other ramps they used were the opposite, and were too aggressive curved and would continue to fall down on long runs unless they removed a lot of weight, that was more particularly on the piped ones.

One guy with a totally stock 850 renegade used stock pivot bolt and a lot of tip weight in the 902 kit ( along with a few other clutch components) and got highest top speed he ever had in the first day or two of testing the ramps. He added taller gears and a red secondary spring and got even faster. He had already experimented the year before with stock and other ramps...these ones let him do what he wanted.

The amount and location of weight was sometimes different for each time they used different gearing and helixes, spring rates etc...of course. ...but these were all guys who both had experience with clutching the 850,and all of them got it dialed quickly after the changes. All gave feedback that they left them in when finished and liked better the way the sled acted with the 902. You can move a lot of weight around, and with the pivot bolts etc even more so.

I'm just giving some of the feedback from the users that we had because it may help you compare to what you may have heard about ramps, stock cures and other curves, brands, etc..

I'm not naming them, ...forwarding their names, nor mentioning other companies products used before (so please don't ask me). They were guys who could tune.on their own without babysitters....exactly who this kit was designed for (unless you get it as part of a complete clutch kit package from a clutch kit company as things go along). Tuning your own is not for everyone for sure. It is time consuming, expensive parts....many combinations of gearing and other components in both clutches can change everything on how a weight is set up.

As many of you who have been around for a while probably know, we are not in any way a "clutch kit company" for snowmobiles. Rather, we sell individual components to clutch kit companies ....and to people who really do clutch tuning on their own. This 900 series is as the name suggests a "Pro Tuner Kit" .

Is it the magic fix for everyone, nope, not at all. You MUST be very honest with yourself. Lots of people do not want anything to do with buying a bunch of clutch parts and gear combinations and spending time during the season tuning their clutches. If that's you, we totally understand that, and the Pro tuner kit itself is not for you at all. Dont buy it. There are some excellent clutch kit companies out there that will help you, ...talk to them (many of them are our customers), and you go ride.

We are giving here, the most detailed description we can of what this is, and who it is for ..."experienced racers who are experimenting to try to achieve a higher level of performance by way of experimenting with their clutch calibrations" . If you are one of the sled heads who says " I got my sled really going !" ....and it is really YOU that got it going, we hope you will like the kit like the testers did.

...If end users results are good, the kit will sell well, ...that how it works right?

There is some good detail right here on our website about each model of the 900 series , click on the individual kit for more details of each.

http://www.daltonindustries.com/products.php?cat=1&brand=5

Thanks, and hope this helps clarify a bit.

Dalton Industries.

·
Members
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can tell you some that are most popular helixes forthe 850...it seems that 46/38, 46/40, 46/42,47/42 etc in that range . Sometimes steeper if geared low for short drags.
The red secondary spring was popular for some, especially if geared higher.
... but have been very clear that we are not making or suggesting any exact kit for any exact applications.

We have never, ever offered kits or suggestions of set up on sleds. We make parts for shops to tune with based on demand. People will argue correct clutch recipes forever...it is how it has always been.

For example:
The helix that works for one guy " who always likes a heavier secondary spring".... will be different than for a guy " who knows the stock secondary spring is best".

Some prefer the stock primary spring on last years 19 850 Renegade model...some liked heavier.
....if heavier you could use different start on the helix.

Often when people who " claim to test on their own"... they really dont....they stay on line asking what to do, or stay on the phone asking... and that may not be all wrong, but usually dont interpret the whole deal in both clutches, the gearing , the studs, and the exact hp.
....if it's not all exactly the same then none of it is relevant.

With clutching, I sometimes find that people get tunnel vision and limit themselves....and if they get one part of a clutch set up in their head that worked one time on some other model...they will want it on other models...and they will make all the other parts work around it. So in the above case, the required helix will be different to acheive the correct shift pattern.

Change any one part in either clutch...everything changes. That's why people should either do all the testing themselves and see the whole deal ...or buy a kit and live with it or fine tune it. My suggestion is dont try to be both.
You either really do test and tune, or you prefer someone else start you off with a clutch kit.

There are many out there that need 15 people to tell them it's the right thing before they try it....may have been less frustrating to get with a good clutch kit company and get a kit in the first place.

This 902 primary kit is just a kit for adjusting the primary...it is for people who want to test and prove to themself they have what they want for clutching....for their own sled...with their own mods or studs or track....the gearing they prefer.

Hope it helps.

·
Members
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was asked in a email why this 902 set for the 850 wasn't our Dalton "quick adjust" method that we have always used on Polaris, Yamaha, and Cat flyweights.

The answer is that we do on the ones on the 900 and 901T sets for the 4 stroke 900 ace turbo and they are in fact quick adjust for fine tuning without even removing them from the clutch...and they also have a independent tip adjustment to adjust the "zone" of the base weight. That was fine on those models and people love it.

For this application, our opinion and result is:

-the desired grams to be similar and more comparable to the stock ramps, ...the effective location of the inherent mass in the flyweight....the way the base weight carries its main weight is better distributed this way. People had great results. Some simply used the weight set and left all other components stock to achieve what they wanted.

We use a variety of standard fasteners and you can move a lot of weight around if you desire. Everything can bottom secure, It is actually fairly easy to adjust. The tool I preferred myself was the folding lever lock type from Goodwin. It closes the sheaves quick and easy to get the flyweights without taking the clutch apart. Nice tool .

http://www.daltonindustries.com/product_detail.php?product_id=312

·
Ski-Doo Guru
13,819 Posts
The weights work incredibly well for us! Dalton has always been exceptional at delivering the highest quality most well engineered clutching components on the market. If your competent at all with clutching on your OWN or grabbing a pre calibrated kit these things rock.

49062085828_120b926e35_k.jpg

·
Registered
466 Posts
I was asked in a email why this 902 set for the 850 wasn't our Dalton "quick adjust" method that we have always used on Polaris, Yamaha, and Cat flyweights.

The answer is that we do on the ones on the 900 and 901T sets for the 4 stroke 900 ace turbo and they are in fact quick adjust for fine tuning without even removing them from the clutch...and they also have a independent tip adjustment to adjust the "zone" of the base weight. That was fine on those models and people love it.

For this application, our opinion and result is:

-the desired grams to be similar and more comparable to the stock ramps, ...the effective location of the inherent mass in the flyweight....the way the base weight carries its main weight is better distributed this way. People had great results. Some simply used the weight set and left all other components stock to achieve what they wanted.

We use a variety of standard fasteners and you can move a lot of weight around if you desire. Everything can bottom secure, It is actually fairly easy to adjust. The tool I preferred myself was the folding lever lock type from Goodwin. It closes the sheaves quick and easy to get the flyweights without taking the clutch apart. Nice tool .

http://www.daltonindustries.com/product_detail.php?product_id=312
Just Curious

You ever had anyone try the 902 in a 900t?

·
Members
93 Posts
Yes.you can certainly do it. We had a local dealer ran his own sled with a tune that way last year and said it worked great. It was before we had finished the 901t set.
I'm not sure where he ended up for set up but I spoke recently with him a d he liked the set up . No reason you cant. There are kits out in the market that use 850 clicker type weights in those 900 turbos.
Mostly because there was not much else.

The 900/901T set is certainly more designed for that ace clutch, and you can drop them right in and fine tune with quick adjust.

You can use 902....You would however, need to buy the skidoo parts for the side plates and clicker assembly etc. And add to the cost. The 901t set is a drop in without any of that on the 900 ace

1 - 7 of 7 Posts