Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace the cylinder hold down bolts with a quality stud kit.
Does someone make a good stud kit for a 01' MXZ 800?
Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Custom project for a drag engine, not crazy about removing the bolts from an aluminum housing every time I tear the engine down.
Would prefer to have a stud set up (so they stay in place) when engine work is performed

·
Have been
5,940 Posts
ARP will have something that will work.
The reason skidoo uses bolts instead of studs is you torque the bolts tighter than a stud because a bolt has 1 " of thread and a nut has 3/8' of thread holding! Skidoo used to use studs but the torque rating is 5 ft pounds less

in a high performance application that 5 pounds could be the difference between blowing a base gasket or not!

·
Registered
520 Posts
The reason skidoo uses bolts instead of studs is you torque the bolts tighter than a stud because a bolt has 1 " of thread and a nut has 3/8' of thread holding! Skidoo used to use studs but the torque rating is 5 ft pounds less
in a high performance application that 5 pounds could be the difference between blowing a base gasket or not!
I highly doubt you have to worry about pulling the threads out of a base nut or cylinder nut on a stud. Continuous tear downs will stretch bolts more so than studs

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
What's the torque like 25-30 lbft? ARP is good stuff. They will never break or pull the threads out at that torque.

·
Have been
5,940 Posts
I highly doubt you have to worry about pulling the threads out of a base nut or cylinder nut on a stud. Continuous tear downs will stretch bolts more so than studs

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Over tighten a nut and see what happens, the reason there is a rated torque for a nui they do strip!!

You may be able to over tighten a few times but if your intension is multi builds you are over stressing the nut every time you tighten it!

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Not a chance. We pull the heads off the pro mod car almost every weekend and are running ARP studs. We have never...I repeat never have had a stud strip or a nut strip. The head has actually broke in half and the ARP studs and nuts were re-used! And that torque is higher than a sleds. If they can hold up to 70 lbs of boost they will have no problem with a sled. And if one does pull out for some reason heli coil, locktite done!

·
Have been
5,940 Posts
Not a chance. We pull the heads off the pro mod car almost every weekend and are running ARP studs. We have never...I repeat never have had a stud strip or a nut strip. The head has actually broke in half and the ARP studs and nuts were re-used! And that torque is higher than a sleds. If they can hold up to 70 lbs of boost they will have no problem with a sled. And if one does pull out for some reason heli coil, locktite done!
Do you tighten your studs 20% tighter than the recommended torque! no bolt manufacturer will recommend to over tighten any of there product! A bolt at 30 pounds torque will hold better than a nut at 25 pounds torque!

The reason Studs are used in a Automotive application is because the Manufacturers have gotten cheap and switched to torque to yield throwaway bolts!

No body bothered to use studs back when the Auto builders used real reusable bolts!

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Ya your experience must be correct... There's no way they would be strong enough. I mean they hold a 3000 HP engine together week after week. No way they would be strong enough to hold a sled cylinder head on... REALLY!!?? And not all manufactures use torque to yield bolts. Mostly used in cylinder head and lower end bolts to achieve proper preload on the bolt so it doesnt back out in and maintain its desiered torque through the heat cycle. So to the OP, measure the depth of the cylinder bolt holes get in touch with ARP and use studs. You will have no issues at least with the studs.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
You do realize you're talking about 21 ft lbs.
I've torn down multiple race engines repeat ably and never had issues with stripping threads in either head to cylinder or cylinder to base.

·
Registered
389 Posts
the reason why studs have a lower torque is because you are only turning the length of the nut over the stud so there is less friction than turning in an inch of thread. Also, a threads maximum holding power is obtained by 1.5 times the diameter of the thread. For a 1/2 thread, a 3/4 tall nut has max holding power, any extra thread is unnecessary.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts