Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Advanced......dat's how ah roll.
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride my summit on trails and through the woods, and thruogh fields. We don't get much snow here. For 3 seasons my 2" paddles have held up just fine in these low snow conditions. My track has remained like new and I have done one set of sliders since sled was new. But last week I noticed one outer lug had a small tear in it. I did some looking around and I see that 2002 summits actually have 2" lugs on the outside, but only like 1 3/4" or maybe 1 7/8" lugs on the inside. For argument sake, we'll just say the inners ar 1 7/8". I've heard of guys that have had most of thier outer lugs tear out, but none of the center lugs tear out, and when they replaced the track, they got one that was 2" all the way across. I'd really rather not wait for them all the rip out, then spend huge money on a new track. My question is: can I cut down just my outer lugs to the same depth as the inner lugs? So, let's say the inners are 1 7/8", and I cut the outers down to 1 7/8" as well. 1 7/8" all the way across. I realize that in powder conditions, this would hurt my digging abilty. But we RARELY get more than 2 feet of snow at a clip here. I've never gotten even close to stuck on my summit. Things that come to mind: 1) I will lose some rotating weight. Not much, but every little bit helps. 2) I may save my track before all the outer lugs peal off. 3) I may help my slider life a little. A small plus, but still a plus. 4) This may or may not act like gearing down the sled a little. This is a plus for me. I really can't think of any negatives. I was thinking I could make up some kind of jig to make sure I cut every lug exactly the same. Anyone ever hear of someone doing this? Anyone think of any downsides to this? And PLEASE, no one tell me to get an mxz, or move to Colorado. I'm keeping my summit and not moving. I really think this could work, but if anyone can think of reason not to, I'd like to hear it now.

·
Doo Rider
3,170 Posts
don't cut it down. get a new track and sell the 2" track to someone to recoup some of the cost. You could ruin the track and then you have to buy another one if you do.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
i see NO problem with doinf this. Many racers buy 2 inch tracks and cut them down to 1 inch or so for the added strenth of the think lug at the botton and the stifffness in it. This would actually do you more good an GREATLY extend the life of the track. By cutting it down it makes the cut down lugs stronger and thicker. I would give it a try. Your not losing anytihng that littel bit of lug will not make a diffrence where you ride. i say go for it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would cut the track. There is alot of people who do this and there is no way it will ruin the track. Alot of experienced mountain riders that I have talked to who go to wyoming every year and some that live right out there say that they cut the lugs to 1 3/4 b/c it gives them more track spin and a stifffer lug and that is more important. If i were you that is what I would do. And you could off course just buy an 1 3/4 track but then you wont have as stiff of a lug all the way through. Hope I helped ya.

·
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
doo rider said:
don't cut it down. get a new track and sell the 2" track to someone to recoup some of the cost. You could ruin the track and then you have to buy another one if you do.
[snapback]311731[/snapback]​
How could I ruin it? I'm not saying you're wrong, I would just like to hear exactly HOW it could ruin it.

·
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any other opinions?

·
Registered
446 Posts
An 8th of an inch isnt much and should hurt you in the powder. I would look at they type of riding I do most. Trail, powder. If you do mostly trail riding, I would buy a new track with shorter lugs say 1.25 or 1.5. If you stay off the trail, you could try cutting your track. I dont know if that will help. Might try checking your track tension as well. riding icy trails could cause exsessive folding of the track around corners if the track is too loose, creating a tear. Thats just an idea.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I know of guys that have put 2 inch tracks on their sleds and shaved some off so it wouldn't rub and they have held up fine. I think if you don't want to spend the money on a new track then go ahead and shave it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I got an 00 600 summit with 1 3/4 and have a bunch of lugs missing. It is the nature of the beast, I'm surprised yours is as good as it is. I would not cut, just fuse the wonds with a blow tourch and carry on. If youn cut the lugs will loose flexability and you will regret it.

·
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why would I regret losing flexability? I'm pretty sure stiff lugs are a good thing. I wouldn't think tht a bent over lug would dig too well.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I had a 1.5in track on my 1998 Formula III 700 and I was rippng lugs off like crazy so I cut it down to 1in and studded it I had no problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts