Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I saved this 1979 citation 300 from my local junk yard.

I was browsing the web looking for pictures of it when i ran into a weird problem.

I cannot find a citation 300 with a speedometer on it.

Mine has a speedometer that goes up to 100 mph it says its made by bombardier so im guessing its from the factory right?

i cant find a replacement gauge for it to even see if it was an option. Did someone just put a guage on it and wire it in? the wiring looks like factory.

I will post a picture of it on here asap.

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

I tried uploading pics but it gives me an error message, error IO???

Pictures are only 50-70kb and are jpg file

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
78 and 79 Citations did not come with any guages. I can't say for sure about the 79, but in 78 it was not an option, factory or dealer installed. The only "guage" available was an hour meter and they would have been dealer installed.

As far as I know, 1978 was the last year of this style of guage:

Speedometer Gauge Motor vehicle Measuring instrument Tachometer

In 79 Bombardier switched to this newer style:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Well it is definitely a 78 or 79...if the serial # starts with 3146 it is a 78, if it starts with 3149, it is a 79. The fact that it has a speedo does not really mean anything, it is not very difficult to install and could be robbed off an Olympic or whatever. The housing your speedo is in looks like a home made or adapted unit from some other sled. The Citation had a 114 x 15 track, a very common size, so the drive for the speedo would likely transfer and give an accurate reading if the gearing and drive sprockets were the same as the donor sled.

These are great little machines, a ton of fun for a kid :righton

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it is definitely a 78 or 79...if the serial # starts with 3146 it is a 78, if it starts with 3149, it is a 79. The fact that it has a speedo does not really mean anything, it is not very difficult to install and could be robbed off an Olympic or whatever. The housing your speedo is in looks like a home made or adapted unit from some other sled. The Citation had a 114 x 15 track, a very common size, so the drive for the speedo would likely transfer and give an accurate reading if the gearing and drive sprockets were the same as the donor sled.

These are great little machines, a ton of fun for a kid :righton
Cool, thanks for answering my question. Its gonna be a ton of fun this winter, and not bad for free right? :laugh_old:

Just have to replace the left coil and she will be ready to go!! Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Hey guys,

I was browsing the web looking for pictures of it when i ran into a weird problem.

Mine has a speedometer that goes up to 100 mph it says its made by bombardier so im guessing its from the factory right?

i cant find a replacement gauge for it to even see if it was an option. Did someone just put a guage on it and wire it in? the wiring looks like factory.

thanks

In 1979 there was an optional speedometer kit and an optional tachometer kit available for the Mirage/Citation 300. The guages were square (as RVMAN said) and fit into pods that were bolted to the cab under the windshield just as in chiller449's pic. Pods were available for the older round guages (used on Elan) and also the new square guages.

·
True happiness is never trying a sled better than
14,562 Posts
Hey guys,

thanks

You may have to upload to photobucket and then post them on here.That is the only way it works for me.

P1011120_zps571fbbc4.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
In 1979 there was an optional speedometer kit and an optional tachometer kit available for the Mirage/Citation 300. The guages were square (as RVMAN said) and fit into pods that were bolted to the cab under the windshield just as in chiller449's pic. Pods were available for the older round guages (used on Elan) and also the new square guages.
You may have to upload to photobucket and then post them on here.That is the only way it works for me.

P1011120_zps571fbbc4.jpg
Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate the help. btw that is the baddest citation i have seen lol. did you do the paint yourself? might do mine like that!!! Also.. is there any way to add a bit more power to the citations? i love the size of it and its so light just doesn't have enough power for me. Any suggestions?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts