Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was taking a look at Cudneys performance kit for 600s. And it says a clutch kit, what is involved in that kit? Does anyone know? I have heard the 500ss is set up very well in the clutching department. I bought a team secondary and put that on and didnt notice anything. I actually raced a stock 500ss today and beat him by very little. I also put the v-force reeds in this fall, and nothing. Is there any way to dial this expensive clutch in or is this it?

·
Registered
351 Posts
You will not notice much of a difference with Reeds, just a little snapier throttle response, no real HP increase at all.

The clutch kit comes with primary spring, adjustable weights, secondary spring and a helix.

Your biggest improvements will be the clutch work, drop a tooth on the top gear.

I see you have a 500ss, I am not sure if the 600 setup will work good for the 500ss even though the 500 engine is like the 600, the shorter stroke of that engine will give it different characteristics of a 600. Cudneys setups are tried and tested on the models he states.

You may have to call Bill for more info on what parts you will need to maybe get that sled setup.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But my 500ss is the older generation 600, there is no difference in stroke length. I dont know if I really want to go down on teeth,I can only run about 95-100 now. I dont need any more top end but I would not want to lose any either. Thanks I was just curious.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
actually Flipmode, I see you have the tpi airbox valves, have you noticed alot of belt dust and crap getting in there?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Cudney's kit should consist of a new helix, secondary spring, primary spring and adjustable pins.

His kits are great!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Jeremy said:
actually Flipmode, I see you have the tpi airbox valves, have you noticed alot of belt dust and crap getting in there?
[snapback]268494[/snapback]​
I have yet to take a good look let alone get some miles on the sled

I only put on about 180 miles this year.
I will have a look after my next ride.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I had real good luyck with talves the TPI valves they work great espcaily with the reeds and clutching never had an issue with the belt dust could depend on where you install them cudneys products are first rate

·
Registered
351 Posts
Jeremy said:
But my 500ss is the older generation 600, there is no difference in stroke length. I dont know if I really want to go down on teeth,I can only run about 95-100 now. I dont need any more top end but I would not want to lose any either. Thanks I was just curious.
[snapback]268493[/snapback]​
You sure about that, I read this from another post

The stroke on the small/old 600 is 68.5 mm vs the 73 mm stroke of the 600HO and the 700 engine
I don't think you will loose much top end, I believe with setting up the primary and secondary clutchs properly you will keep the same top end speed and possible gain from stock clutching. That is what I noticed anyways.

I pulls very well now.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
FlipMode said:
Jeremy said:
[snapback]268494[/snapback]​
I have yet to take a good look let alone get some miles on the sled

I only put on about 180 miles this year.
I will have a look after my next ride.
[snapback]268509[/snapback]​
You will get belt dust in the carbs.

Cover the t.p.i. foam with some pre-filter material. It helps alot.

·
Registered
351 Posts
rev177 said:
I had real good luyck with talves the TPI valves they work great espcaily with the reeds and clutching never had an issue with the belt dust could depend on where you install them cudneys products are first rate
[snapback]268518[/snapback]​
I can't really say how much better my SDI runs with the TPI air valves but I haven't taken the latest update and I checked the plugs the other day and they look very good, so the motor is not running rich.

Most of the time the weather hasn't been super cold so I keep 1 open, the one furthest away from the clutch.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you think that he can set my primary to work the best with my Team secondary though. I probably wouldnt need the helix and secondary spring right?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also,would I have to mess with jetting to run the tpi's,or it depends?

·
Registered
742 Posts
(This is a general question since I know nothing about Ski-Doo clutching)

How do you adjust the pin weight? Does the clutch have to be removed to do this?

The season has been crap around here and I'd rather be riding than tuning, so I don't want any downtime if possible.

My machine is an '05 MXZX 600HO SDI.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Jeremy said:
Do you think that he can set my primary to work the best with my Team secondary though. I probably wouldnt need the helix and secondary spring right?
[snapback]268534[/snapback]​
I am sure you can buy the primary spring and weights from him. I am not sure how it will work with the TEAM secondary with it (you may have to make adjustments?)

I am looking at getting a TEAM secondary but not sure what helix would work best as well as a spring.

·
Registered
351 Posts
OntRider said:
(This is a general question since I know nothing about Ski-Doo clutching)

How do you adjust the pin weight? Does the clutch have to be removed to do this?

The season has been crap around here and I'd rather be riding than tuning, so I don't want any downtime if possible.

My machine is an '05 MXZX 600HO SDI.
[snapback]268549[/snapback]​
With the clutch kit you get adjustable pins so you can add/remove weigh with set screws, the stock pins are not adjustable. The primary needs to be removed and taken apart to do this.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I have read that the t.p.i.'s do nothing and it's backed by a dyno run.

I can also vouch that running two t.p.i.'s open plus a cold air high airflow intake with the snorkle in the box removed does not lean it out with a tempa flow installed.

It has great throttle response.....

·
Registered
742 Posts
FlipMode said:
With the clutch kit you get adjustable pins so you can add/remove weigh with set screws, the stock pins are not adjustable. The primary needs to be removed and taken apart to do this.
[snapback]268559[/snapback]​
What's the best way to tune? Is there a "formula" for calculating pin weight based on rider weight or something?

I notice the clutching on my '05 is not quite as good as it was on my '03, so Cudney's kit might be in my future.

Thanks for the reply.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.