Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got some snow around here so I could do some tuning on my clutch. Mostly tested on the lake, hay fields and ditches. First started with 20.5 g pin weight and secondary on B5. It pulled like hell! Only got 7,600 rpm's though. It seemed to take a while to climb to 7,600 but it was pulling real hard all the way there. Back shift was great also. I got about 95 mph out of it on loose snow on the lake. Secondary temp was good also. Belt was reaching top of primary.
I dropped some weight to bring rpm's up to 8,000. Again it took a while to get to peak rpm. In the ditches or hay field I never saw 8,000, had limited space in the hay field, could only get 80 mph or so and tach was reading 7,700. I still think it should be hitting 8,000 in the fields. Belt was about 1/8" or so from top of primary. Top end was 100 mph on the lake. Based on how long it took the engine to reach peak rpm I thought there was not enough preload in the secondary. Do you guys think that's a correct analization? I changed the preload from B5 to B4. Did I go the right way to increase preload?
After testing on the lake I could only get 95 mph. Pulled hard down low and mid range but lost the hard pull up top. In midrange there also seemed to be a bit of a delay from pinning the throttle to when the sled would start pulling hard. The engine did seem to hit peak rpm a little faster on the lake now. Will more preload give me more pull up top?
Thanks for you help in advance.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i have a 03 700 and went through the same deal with the cudney kit.. i ended up with 18.5 grams in the pins, b-6 in the secondary. it runs about 7900-8000 and pulls hard all the way through.. i also have 24/44 for gearing.. this combination works very well.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah I also forgot to mention that I am running 22/43 gears, stock is 24/43 on my 600.
700X, does your tach go strait to 7900-8000 or does it take a while to get there? With my stock set up the tach would go to 8000 almost as soon as the throttle hit the bars. With the kit in it takes a bit longer. It is pulling harder than stock all the way there though. I am just wondering if this is common with the Cudney kits.

·
Registered
101 Posts
with the set up that is in the directions, it wouldn't pull 8000. now with the set up i have it jumps right to 7900-8000 and stays there.. i have seen 7700-7800 in poor snow conditions but all in all the set up works good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts