Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
We don't/won't ride weekends so today we went to a cross country ski area nearby that is groomed and maintained by the DNR.. It's a nice change of pace from riding and of course very healthy.. The trails were groomed perfectly for the first mile or so.. We passed several "no snowmobile" signs.. At the first intersection there were sled tracks and the guy(s) decided to ride the entire outside loop of the ski trail tearing it up.. When X-C ski trails are groomed they leave two slots for the skis to ride in. When a sled goes over this grooming it wipes it out and now the skis wander and search. There are lot's of sled trails in the area and it was very selfish of whoever did it to ride their sleds on the ski trails.. So we went for a few more miles with less than ideal trails due to the sleds wrecking them and met up with a Finnish lady who quickly said "be careful, the snowmobiles have destroyed the trail".. I agreed with her and cursed the sledders right along with her.. Then we meet up with another couple and they are also angry that snowmobiles had destroyed the grooming.. They encouraged us to take down the registration numbers of any sleds we saw and report them. There was no way for me to defend our brotherhood to the granola heads.. These were nice people and purposely ski that area to AVOID the sled trails (smart) the least we can do is reciprocate. Stop and think before you upset the non riding majority of people in your area. You can do more harm than you think. X-C skiers vote and may be members of the town council or own property that sled trails cross.. We wonder why we keep losing trails?.. I was embarrassed to be a sledder today.

·
Scuttle Buttin' Solo
73,241 Posts
I'm curious..................did you happen to take notice of the types of hats they were wearing and if so do you have some like them in your collection......and if you didn't did you feel any "want" to add them.......

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I didn't wear my HMK jacket.. LOL

·
Registered
370 Posts
I hear ya tic
It seams that some snowmobilers have 0 respect for others and I to have been embarrassed to be counted in as a snowmobiler.

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
Nice write up tic.

We all need to make the correct decision when it comes to things like this.

Don't be a "do what I say, not what I do" kinda person.

Step up and be a leader and lead by example.

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm curious..................did you happen to take notice of the types of hats they were wearing and if so do you have some like them in your collection......and if you didn't did you feel any "want" to add them.......
I have to admit I look at everyone with a hat and think about adding it to my collection..These people were skiing in a designated area though so I quickly dismissed my thoughts of grabbing their hats..Now when I see skiers on our sled trails? then they are fair game

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
They have a right to be angry if snowmobiles are riding on Ski-only trails. However, their generalization of snowmobilers is like saying all dogs are bad because one dog bit someone.

I was breaking new trails out in an area and sort of got lost in my directions and popped out on a ski trail. I had a choice, go back the way I came, or slowly ride up the trail. I figured I was only about 1000 ft away from the end so decided to ride off to one side and each time I saw a skier, I'd shut down, apologize for being on the trail. I came across about 7 skiers total and all but one was nice, could see that I was staying off to the side as much as possible. The one was pretty nasty and by the end of the conversation I was ready to use a few choice cuss words and bury the throttle as I drove away from her, but I kept my cool and reminded her that it was snowmobilers that not only made the trail, but groom it, and pay for it.

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good point Bear Ark... I don't know if it's a common problem in this designated ski area as it's the 1st time we skied there... I saw the groomer drag they use but it looked like it would be towed by a tractor.. No idea who pays for the trails but it wouldn't surprise me if some or all the funding comes from sledders.. I would hope if I were lost and ended up on a ski trail and proceeded the way you did I wouldn't be harassed.. The guys who rode these ski trails were NOT putting along on the side.. They went right up the middle and spun the corners out... I could tell by the tracks how they were riding.. It's tough being involved in both sports but there was no way to suggest to these other skiers that maybe the sledders were lost and only trying to find their way back to the sled trail.. They weren't.. They were hooligans

Reactions: TheBearAk

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Several weeks ago I was riding alone on a snowmobile trail and to my surprise along comes 4 cross country skiers. I was going only about 10 mph because the conditions were marginal... low snow with dirt showing.

As I am riding toward these folks I thought OMG, if the conditions were better I would have been screaming through here. So as I gently pass them on my super quiet 900 ACE I waved and they waved back with smiles on their faces.

Evidently THEY were breaking the rules or were lost or taking a short cut or something. It was flat enough that I would have seen them even if I was going faster.

I was thinking of stopping and talking with them to try to figure it out but they were in their serious strides and looked too healthy to stop for anything a snowmobiler would have to say.

True story!!!

I noticed that they did yank their hats one by one as I rode by.

Not! Inspired by the antics of the one and only tic!

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
Totally on the XC skiers side, that's THEIR chunk of trail to not deal with our AHollio junk. I XC skied once when I was 14, kind of enjoyed it until I had to go uphill, I was done with it after that.

But respect is respect. If we as snowmobilers want it, give respect back.

·
Registered
844 Posts
X country skiers are the most hypocritical people I have met. They b*tch and scream about the "bad" snowmobilers, but every time I put down a trail with my snow machine, a few days later I see where the cross country skiers followed my track. Our trails are paid for with snow machine registration, but they are multi use trails, so we see dog sledders, snowshoers and cross country skiers as well a snowmobilers. The dog sledders are nice, the snowshoers are nice, the snowmobilers are nice and the cross country skiers are always b*tching about something.

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
X country skiers are the most hypocritical people I have met. They b*tch and scream about the "bad" snowmobilers, but every time I put down a trail with my snow machine, a few days later I see where the cross country skiers followed my track. Our trails are paid for with snow machine registration, but they are multi use trails, so we see dog sledders, snowshoers and cross country skiers as well a snowmobilers. The dog sledders are nice, the snowshoers are nice, the snowmobilers are nice and the cross country skiers are always b*tching about something.
:laugh_old: :laugh_old: :laugh_old: :laugh_old:

True.

Very true!!

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I was expecting this thread to be about you thrashing up some fruit booter trails WHILE collecting hats. Instead u were the fruit booter... i hope you were hatless upon returning home!! Sad tic... very sad....

·
Registered
157 Posts
In the lower 48 we have numerous dedicated cross country trails and in my area they do not interfere with snowmobile trails. The problem is sleds ripping up their designated trails. It's BS and anyone who does this is an idiot! First it is not necessary and second these people have a stronger voice, and the general public is sympathetic to their issues. We have enough problems without creating anymore bad publicity. That being said any cross-country skier in the lower 48 that decides to use snowmobile trails is a fool.

Reactions: tic and MinnDave

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Funny timing on this post. I got lost this weekend. Ended up on a ski trial in my area, I had no idea of my mistake. Too scared to double back, and too tight to turn around. I ended up coming out exactly where I went in. Looking back at the sign, it was small, and at the beginning of our slow season, it really did look like the trail went that way? And there are some dual usage trails around where I was.There was lots of apologizing within my helmet. There was certainly to ripping it up while in there.

But on the other glove. There are other times when there are lots of skier on the snowmobile trails, and leash less dog chasing me. While, I was wrong when I got lost. Snowmobile's always seem to get the hairy eyeball.

Ride safe, be respectful.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts