Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i took apart my 440 engine because it was seized it has been sitting since march (spring here in AK) and it had water in the crankcase on the clutch side. when it seized i was skipping water for like 5 mins slush to water on and off and where it stopped that water was like 8 inches deep and i was wondering if that water in the crank was from condensation and not from the water skipping. my base gasket seemed to be good with no tears?

·
Shredding the Gnar
5,017 Posts
unless it was parked outside for the summer without a hood and console and no plugs you sucked in water while skipping

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it had plugs, no sled cover, and it was leaning more on the clutch side than the other side all summer, oh yeah and i forgot to state that it seized on the side that had no water. thanks

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Was the water in case mixed with coolant....or just water? If it is just water....it must have gotten sucked in. Finding the cause of the seizure is critical here. On the seized side, did the seizure occur on the intake side of the piston? If so, it is very likely that intake of water and slush washed the lubrication away and cause the seize.

Water can also contaminate the float bowl and get sucked in and cause a burn down or seizure. Look at the piston tops closely for detonation. It looks like a sand blaster was used on the pistons. Look at the plugs for color or aluminum melted on them. Basically look at everything.

I would also do a leak test on the engine once it is reassembled, but before you add coolant. Be sure that thing is air tight.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it was just water and some grease im guessing because the water was white murk. this is what i just remembered the airbox wasn't as tight because i was jetting a few days earlier and forgot to tighten them, so i was able to slip the airbox off and re jet. the good piston has sort of a darker brown color with a small film of sludge like stuff and the seized side not so dark and no film

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
The white murk is water and the 2 cycle oil mixing. If no coolant is present, the water came from the outside. Describe the intake side of the piston skirt on the seized piston. Is this where the seize happened....or was the seize on the exhaust side.....or on the 4 corners of the piston?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the majority of the scratches are on the intake side, some on the exhaust side nothing on the other two sides though and no coolant in that murk.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
If the seize (part of the piston that actually melted to the cylinder wall) was on the intake side that points directly to lack of lubrication as the cause. Lack of lubrication was most likely caused by water entering the air box or the loose carb boot and washing the lubrication off the piston. In this case, it is actually good news to have a clear cut cause and effect. Seizures on the exhaust side of the piston have a more varied set of causes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you tom your info is very helpful, is there anything i should do before i put the engine back together besides the honing and piston changing. greasing?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts